urgent id please!

(17 posts)
  1. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 12:54:25
    #

Login to Send PM

hello
    i am doing a thorough inspection/clean right now and came across this white small thing among other things that i will post up later, can someone quickly ID this one for me now is it an egg?

thank you!!

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1922/photo2dd.jpg image id 1

2. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 13:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 15:05:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear imscared,

Are these related to the first photo I commented on a few minutes ago?

The previous photo appeared to be a shed skin of a carpet beetle type critter.

These two photos are indecernable to me.

Can you possbly take a better photo(s) ?

thanks, paul b.

4. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 15:43:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Paul,

No, these are not related to the other thread I think. I saw this one white shiny small hard thing and then another brown hard small thing and I wanted to check if they match the profile of BB eggs.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/492/photo7ci.jpg -- I hope this comes as higher resolution. Please have a look.

Thanks.

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 15:55:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear scared,

The last photo is the shed skin of a dermestid or carpet type beetle. Not a big deal unless you're finding lots of them on a regular basis and are seeing damage occurring.

The other photos, while not of great quality, do not appear to be consistent with what we'd expcet BB eggs to look like, Please see online images of BB eggs so you can see what they look like up close. I think they have such photos on this website in the resources pages.

Note that BB eggs are about 1 mm long. That's about 1/25th of an inch, yup pretty small, for those of us not up on the metric system.

These eggs are pearly white, oval but flat on one end where there is a hatch/pop top thing that may remain or may fall off when the BB hatches out. I think there is a decent video of BBs hatching out online somewhere.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

6. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 16:28:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your post Paul. I really am grateful for your time and expert opinion.

My carpet is of the kind with multiple coloured strands that make up something that is only fit for an exhibition. So it is hard, if not impossible for me to look for any skin or faeces or eggs. What do I do? I am using a mini LED torch t look at the corners and edges, but I still don't trust my eyes when it comes to looking at the carpet.

The 2 white things I have photoed here are hard, and the white one is kind of pearlescent. Is there any other way to verify them? I never realised the amount of particles and dust you find when you inspect a bed carefully. I don't know what's what, and everything small is a suspect.

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 16:30:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you expereicning any bites?

Vacuum thoroughly.

If you're not expereiencing any bites or see any tangible evidence of BBs, there's no need to be worried.

hope this helps, paul b.

8. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 16:40:10
    #

Login to Send PM

No, I am not experiencing bites, but I am erring on the side of caution and assuming I do not react to bites.

I just realised I replied with the bug photo instead of the white thing photo. Here is another close up of the "egg suspect".

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2888/photo5aa.jpg

9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 16:43:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Not eggs !

pb

10. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 16:59:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I confirm, they're not BB's eggs

11. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 17:03:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there something you look for? to identify them? or just from experience?

12. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 17:14:11
    #

Login to Send PM

For experience... I saw "just" some zillions of BBs eggs in last 7 years...

13. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 17:16:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow. Just saw that you're a PCO too. This job sure takes a lot of courage and steady hands - hats off to you!

14. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 17:24:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear imscared,

I think that I sent you a verbal description of eggs and you can see images online here on the resources pages.

Eggs are about 1 mm in length, that's about 1/25th of an inch if you're not up on your metrics.

They are oval but flattened on one end. The flat end has a roundish flip top which is where the hatchling emerges from. This pop top may remain attached or fall off after hatch. Note that there is a decent video online of BBs hatching.

Hope this helps, paul b.

15. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 17:45:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, just looked at the photos.. they seem far too fragile and squishy. Not hard at all, is that the right consistency?

Thanks for your input.

16. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 17:55:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure what "squishy" actually means but, yes, you can crush them with your finger if you press on them. However, I'm not sure you can get the "squishy" sensation from squeezing one between your thumb and index finger.

paul b.

17. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 1 2012 9:04:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Your images are not bed bug eggs as was pointed out above.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix Just look at my images that I refer to when answering questions on this site. If you just look at the images as presented on the site, you only see what you are able to see without a magnifying glass. Download and then zoom in to see more. Also, read the descriptions that I include with my images. Some people take the images, but never read what I have written and in doing so try to describe it themselves while presenting a talk. I've attended and had to correct what they say. Many "professionals" have used the images but have not read the legends, used them in presentations, and have had me comment about the image to correct what they have said. It's a little embarrassing.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,899 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186