Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Updates on Precision Environmental Heat Treatments from BuggyInLA; thoughts?

(6 posts)
  1. BuggyinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 25 2009 20:56:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to update everyone out there following our earlier thread about the terrible 1st heat treatment we had with Precision Environmental (a ThermaPure licensee).

To summarize what's happened so far:

(1) 2nd HEAT TREATMENT: Second heat treatment occurred and may have been successful. I've been bitten on three separate occasions (multiple small bites on my hands each time) following the treatment, all centered around the kitchen table, where I work from home on our laptops. The laptops were ABSOLUTELY infested beforehand; I don't know if there infested now. I keep hoping we're in the clear, but since my last bite episode was yesterday evening, I'm not feeling as optimistic anymore.

(2) APARTMENT DAMAGES: Damages from the second heat treatment included our wood bed frame, which was superheated to the point that the sap burst a main support beam. We'll have to purchase a new one. Additionally, we had a surge protector warp to uselessness, the soles on some marathon shoes melt (also now useless), and some other sundry damages amounting to about $650. We'll post pictures with our full review.

(3) FAILED CAR HEAT TREATMENT: We initially agreed to trade the cost of the damages for the heat treatment of our two cars... both of which we've been bitten in repeatedly. The treatment lasted less than two hours in total (I timed it) and was done by a crew that told us they'd never heat treated a car before. We've obviously and unsurprisingly been bitten in the cars since then.

I'll post a full review of our experiences from start-to-finish with Precision Environmental after we finish our business with them. Presently we're waiting for them to refund us the damages to our personal belongings from the second heat treatment. They haven't said no on this front and they haven't said yes -- so I'm waiting and phoning and hoping it goes well. I'll let you all know our full experience at that time (because knowing a company provides solid customer service and owns up to their mistakes is important, ya know?).

Based on their failed performance on our first heat treatment of our apartment, the possible failed second treatment, and the definitely failed heat treatment of our cars... I'm really hopeful that they'll refund us for the damages. We certainly didn't receive the service we paid for with the cars, and I feel no obligation to give them a second chance with the cars -- especially after the second chance with the apartment and the damages that occured there.

Wait and see, I guess.

At present we're considering having ISOTECH bring out their bed bug sniffing dogs to our apartment, so that we can figure out if the bites I've received at the computer are bed bug related or not bed bug related. We may have to retreat our apartment, but this time with Vikane. I'm hoping not.

Thought on all of this? Thoughts on ISOTECH? Thoughts on the bed bug k9s?

2. BuggyinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 25 2009 21:17:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I forgot.

Here's a link to the earlier thread discussing our first completely failed disaster of a treatment on our apartment: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/precision-thermaheat-treatment-went-terribly-next-step

3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 27 2009 23:48:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Consider trying some passive monitors for surveillance to see if you can detect any live activity.

Check with David Cain about the placement of BB Alert Monitors in your vehicles.

The K9 inspection will give you a real time snapshot of the harborages... It would be wise to obtain physical verification of live activity in the location of any K9 alerts given the circumstances.

What is the cost of a Vikane gas fumigation in California vs thermal treatment? I'm curious ...

4. gordie691

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 16 2010 19:50:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Buggy in LA!!!

Here is a thought for you. It looks like you may have considered the possibility that it may not be bed bugs but, have you thought about non-insect related issues. One of the things I insist on, before I agree to do a bed bug treatment, is physical proof that bed bugs (or any biting insects) are present. I use Night Watch bed bug monitors (they are very effective) to verify this if I am not able to find them during the inspection. You need to have proof that they exist if you don't already. Get someone in there with some Night Watch monitors. The dog is a good idea too but, make sure you see live bed bugs. I don't use a dog but, I would be afraid of a false alert. I hear they are very accurate. I just don't know for sure. They may be. I would still want to see live bugs. The problem is that there are tons of things that cause bite like symptoms that have nothing to do with an insect at all. We refer to this as Illusory Parasitosis. It is the belief that a skin lesion is attributed to an insect bite when it is actually caused by something entirely different. (Not to be confused with Delusions of (or Delusory)Parasitosis. That is when folks think they are seeing bugs that are not really there.) Illusory Parasitosis is very common. The fact that this occurs around a computer and in a car is unusual. If it is happening in the day time, and you don't ever see any bed bugs, I would give this some real consideration. Even if you did have bed bugs at one time, you could be suffering from chitin hypersensitivity. That is when you have a reaction to the dead bed bug parts and pieces that are still in your home. Even stress will cause you to break out with what looks and feels like bites. Just the stress of having bed bugs could cause this sort of reaction. I see this all the time. Just a thought. Bed bugs are just not that hard to get rid of. You shouldn't have to go to the trouble of fumigation. I do traditional insecticide treatments about every day with a 100% success rate. It should be no trouble to fix the problem. A computer would be a hard thing to treat but, depending on where they are located in the computer, you may be able to use a dust insecticide like Alpine Dust. Very safe stuff but, you wouldn't want to put it in the cd drive. It would be fine in the rest of the computer. I don't think it would hurt it if you used a very small amount in the keyboard either. Good Luck! Hope this helps!

5. gordie691

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 16 2010 20:08:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is an idea that may work on the computers.

The bed bugs have to eat every 5-7 days and, if they can detect a human in the room, they will definitely come after you. Try setting the computer in a slick sided plastic tub. Set the tub near where you sleep. Put some talcum powder on the sides of the tub. You could even set a glue trap or two in with it. They won't be able to climb out of the tub (some will get stuck in the glue traps) and this could help you determine if there are bed bugs in the computer at all. If there are bed bugs in the computer, treat the inside of the tub with a neonic insecticide like Phantom. These insecticides are a slow acting product and insects transport it back to their harborage. They spread it around and the others become exposed. It works on social insects like ants and wasps. I have no reason to think it wouldn't work here. Just a thought. Good Luck!

6. gordie691

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 16 2010 20:26:29
    #

Login to Send PM

The other thing you could do is get some Climb-Up monitors and put them under the legs of your bed. Set the computers in the bedroom with you. See if you catch anything. If you have never seen physical proof that you have bed bugs, verifying their presence is critical. I wouldn't do another thing until I knew for sure that you even have bed bugs. No matter how much the "bites" look and feel like bug bites, you can not tell if bugs are even there or, still there without monitoring. Doctors frequently misidentify insect bites. Get physical proof.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,337 posts in 46,549 topics over 141 months by 20,529 of 21,391 members. Latest: TuliusCeasar, Bugsss, northeastbugger