Update! Please share your experience/opinion on bed bug dogs

(5 posts)
  1. justmovedin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 27 2016 20:47:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello again. My previous post is here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/id-please-im-really-nervous-i-just-found-a-bed-bug

I have yet to find any more evidence of bugs in my apartment, but I have bright old wood floors that are craggy and have tons of little cracks along the edges of the room so it's very hard to find evidence of any bugs surrounding my bed. I have arranged an appointment for a local company that uses dogs to sniff out bed bugs. They have two NESDCA Accredited Training certified dogs that worked in conjunction with staff entomologists at a university in florida (I live in Philadelphia, apparently #2 US city for bed bugs). I'm not sure what people think about using sniffing dogs to scout bed bugs, but I figured that their detection in addition to their handler's visual expertise could give a really strong reading on whether I have an infestation or not. It's also nice since there are two dogs, he has it so one scouts first, and then the other scouts again to have a double examination and to check the first dog's reading. I'm not sure if this is all me overreacting, but I figure it's better to know now rather than have someone miss some essential hard to see spot and having a full blown infestation.

What do you think about this? Do you have any experience with bed bug sniffing dogs? Thanks guys this forum has actually helped my sanity to see I'm not alone in this and it's not my fault nor does it reflect my cleaning habits to be poor and my apartment dirty.

2. Canuck

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 27 2016 21:25:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Check the NESDCA website to ensure both the dog and the handler are listed on the website, indicating the team has passed the NESDCA certification within the last 12 months. Here is the link to their bed bug certified teams.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  3. justmovedin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 27 2016 22:27:05
    #

Login to Send PM

That's a shame... They're not listed. They claim on their website to have been certified in 2010 but looking at NESDCA guidelines it's supposed to be a yearly renewal. Now I'm unsure if it's worth keeping my appointment and paying 250+ for a dishonest inspection... at the same time though while looking at the Philadelphia tag here someone else mentioned this company and still gave it great reviews so I'm unsure.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 27 2016 22:59:39
    #

Login to Send PM

justmovedin - 31 minutes ago  » 
    That's a shame... They're not listed. They claim on their website to have been certified in 2010 but looking at NESDCA guidelines it's supposed to be a yearly renewal. Now I'm unsure if it's worth keeping my appointment and paying 250+ for a dishonest inspection... at the same time though while looking at the Philadelphia tag here someone else mentioned this company and still gave it great reviews so I'm unsure.

Did you contact them and tell them that you don't understand about them not being listed online as being accredited this year?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. Canuck

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 28 2016 13:21:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Justmovedin, please do ask them about their certification...maybe they just renewed and NESDCA has not yet updated their website; though they are pretty good at maintaining the list as I have noticed past due certificate listings are removed 30 days past due.

The onus is on the consumer, to carefully watch the wording. I have seen websites state: "Our dogs have been trained through the NESDCA facility in Gainsville, Florida. The facility has a partnership with the Entomology department at the University of Florida, making their training comprehensive and accurate." and that firm does not maintain that certification other than in house 'daily training', or "Certified K9 Bedbug Teams", which begs certified by who and when?

There are two well known accrediting agencies, NESDCA and WDDO, but there are others, e.g. police groups, nose work groups, and any scent detection trainer can set up tests for a team to run through...it does not mean the team is not good. I have done a private trainer's test in CA and her three level test is the most thorough I have experienced. Also the NPMA (national pest management association) recommends the testing standards and NPMA Appendix A based I believe upon NESDCA's policies, (although WDDO is a double blind testing standard) and some states have a law that only bed bug teams (that is dog and handler) has current NESDCA certification; as I am not American, I am not up on which states, etc. If the certification is not from NESDCA or WDDO, ensure it is not issued from the trainer/company that trained the dog or handler, otherwise that is a conflict of interest.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,257 posts in 46,267 topics over 141 months by 20,394 of 21,225 members. Latest: Llorenzaccio, morgan, mojo172