Update + Help and Health Concerns

(3 posts)
  1. flowerpower9

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jul 30 2017 2:28:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure this is the right category. My apologies if it's not. Just for background info, read the post I made in January. click

It seems like the worst days of the infection are over, though I fear I'm speaking too soon. It has been one full year. My aunt's room has come a long way and so has my mom's. They have not spotted any BBs in quite some time. By April of this year, I only saw a bed bug in my room every other week. June came around and I didn't see a single one for the entire month. Unfortunately, July rolled around and after suspicious bumps on my shoulder I checked for fecal matter...and found it and two BBs along the corner of my sheet behind where my pillow had been. It was so disappointing. Grandma sprayed and we changed my sheets.

I didn't see anything until a week later. And it seemed like the nightmare had started all over again. BBs spotted pretty much everyday since then. On Wednesday, my grandma and I treated the room, if you can call it that. We moved containers and drawers out of the room and started checking the beds. Any live bugs were killed, then the mattresses were thoroughly inspected and sprayed with Raid Bed Bug spray and some ant & spider spray (don't remember the brand). There were no bugs on my bed, but we found plenty on my brother's sheets and mattresses. We swept the floor and vacuumed. I inspected the lining of where the carpet meets the wall (sorry if this has a name, can't remember) and didn't find anything. Checked the bed frames and didn't see anything. We sprayed the curtain, which is where I've been seeing the bugs that come out to bite me.

Now for what is scaring me the most... diatomaceous earth. I applied what I think is waaaay too much to the cracks and crevices of the room and along the lining of the mattresses. I'll try to insert pictures. My grandma and I sprayed and put down this stuff without any type of mask or gloves...and we had the fan on high. I read last night that DE is pretty freaking harmful and may cause cancer, which I'm deathly afraid of. I had a breakdown because I'm so worried about me, my grandma, or my brother getting sick because we made a stupid mistake while trying to get rid of these demons. Earlier I sprayed the DE with a mixture of 50% alcohol and water, but that didn't really make it easier to clean up (sweeping). We don't have a proper vacuum for this, and I tried to improvise for a mask by tying a damp cotton T-shirt around my nose and mouth. So, the stuff is still down there...and made useless. Here's the link to the pics. It's a Google docs folder. Hope it works. clicky click

I know that some suggested that I post pics of the bugs to be sure they are truly BBs... I have been dealing with the things for a year now and am sure they are BBs. I am honestly too tired too find one at the moment. Maybe tomorrow, as I'm sure someone will still want me to post pics for verification.

So, would anybody mind offering some advice and/or tactics to continue the fight against these things? I've continued to dry everything on high heat before leaving home and checking extensively for hitchhiking BBs. We still cannot afford an exterminator. We are struggling to even put food on the table for right now, and with school coming up...Oh, goodness. I don't know how I'm going to balance homework, standardized testing (which is important, as a scholarship is the only way I'm getting to college), college planning in general, extracurriculars,volunteering, maybe even a job...when I'm getting snacked on with no mercy. Oh, and my school just got the new, fancy building it deserves and the last thing I want is to cause an infestation.

Where should I look for eggs? I can't seem to find them and I think it'd be pretty darn helpful. Also, do you think that the amount of DE seen in those pics and the amount of exposure described will cause terrible damage to my family's health?

Thanks in advance, folks.
    EDIT: fixed first link

Oh, boy.
  2. flowerpower9

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jul 30 2017 8:50:55
    #

Login to Send PM

So, nobody who has viewed this had any info to provide...?

3. Livingagain

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jul 30 2017 23:34:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Food grade DE is relatively safe, although a ton would be bad. Wear a mask and try to get it to a light dusting. It can also break a vacuum when you vacuum it. If it's pool grade you probably need a hazmat team in there to clean it up. Cimexa (but don't wet it like you did the DE) is better than DE, and Cirkil would be better than Raid bed bug stuff.

Good luck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,589 posts in 47,921 topics over 148 months by 21,111 of 21,450 members. Latest: Paranoidforevs, GilWest, Ssuzanne