Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

Upcoming move at the end of the month - my plan

(4 posts)
  1. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 13:03:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I gave notice at my current apartments. I will be moving into a new wonderful apartment at the end of the month. I checked with BB registry and a couple current residents. There is no indication of BB's at my new place. I know there is no guarantee, but I feel very good about it. One huge plus is not having to take the bus. I will be able to walk to and from work. That is one huge risk factor eliminated.

I moved into my current place in March. I found out too late there was a bb problem at this complex going back years. The girl below me moved out and yep, they found me. My infestation has been very mild. I think I essesntially got a few of her stragglers. DE was put around the perimeter of my living/sleeping area (it is a studio). I sealed around all the switches, outlets etc and every place I could find. That really went a long way and that is the extent of treatment I was given by LL. I have still had a few bites here and there, but haven't seen a live bug since June. Other people in the building do have infestations so my risk is always there. I think our elevators even are infested now due to people moving out or disposing carelessly of infested items. I swear I have gotten bites from being the lift, not my apartment because they coincided with using it. I have been taking the stairs 99.9% of the time.

There are a myriad of reasons I am chosing to leave rather than tough out my lease.
    LL either not treating at all and/or not treating infestations effectively by any means. There are multiple pest problems throughout the building. Fleas, roaches and rumored mice (although that one I haven't had to deal with - yet). I suspect bird mites as well as I think they nest in the chimneys. Other issues involve incompentent, dismissive and rude managment, intolerable noise, questionable neighbors, unclean and unsanitary conditions. I have been waiting for 10+ days for maintenance to finish fixing a leak above my shower. Just too many losing battles on too many fronts. This place is in a word - skanky. If I really thought that management was doing everything possible and/or that there could be some education and organization of tenants I might feel differently and stay. However, I have really seen it is a lost cause here and I have considered this carefully. I cannot stay in this is situation and continually face reinfestation and deal with all these other problems daily. I also have become increasing concerned about my cat's wellbeing in this environment.

Here is what I am planning. I would appreciate any input and advice. Am I missing something? Taking a terrible risk somewhere? Obviously, the entire thing is to not move any bugs or any of the ungodliness from my current building and apartment to my gorgeous new one. The main principle is that nothing from the inside of old apartment gets into the new unless santized/treated properly. Some may be overkill, maybe in some areas I am not being careful enough.

Large bag of sanitized clothing/washables. I plan to re-wash and dry again at my new building before these enter my new apartment. I don't have a packtite yet and probably won't be able to afford one before my move. I do intend to get one though.

Kitty - I am going to try to give her an actual soap and water bath just prior to exiting my old place. If she just won't let me, I may have to settle for a thorough brushing and wipe down with kitty bath wipes. She will be transported in a temporary carrier down to the car which will have a new clean carrier for her. I will purchase and put in clean car all new stuff for her.

26" flat screen LCD TV, mp3 player, camera, wireless headphones - treated in a bag with a strip for two weeks prior to the move. Plan to air it out for at least an hour before putting in car. (Do I need to air it out?) I have no evidence to suggest these are infested, but not taking any chances.

Bible, flash drives, camera cards, check book, box of checks and passport. I won't need immediate access. Decided to double zip bag, duct tape closure and leave for a year in trunk of car.

Handbag will be discarded. Contents (cards, id's etc) wiped with 90% and put in new clean baggie at the car.

Car - I have no evidence or experience suggesting it is infested. I was in an accident early July. No one was hurt but car sustained bad damage. It is old and not worth getting all the repairs it needs, even if I could afford it. It runs but is essentially toast and on borrowed time for sure. Unfortunately I need to still use it for the time being. I plan to shampoo and thoroughly clean it inside and out perhaps as much as week prior to move. Then it will be "clean zone" and I can't use it again except to transport to new place and store any newly purchased items in (so they don't go inside my old apt). I have not transported dirty laundry in my car except once and the bags were sealed. I do drive it to the place I park and catch the bus to and from work. Also for groceries and errand running. I have made sure I am in clean, from the dryer clothes whenever I have been in it. I have not transported anyone else in it. Car will have a selection of trash and zip bags.

I plan one day to dispose of everything that is not going with me, which is everything else.
    Everything will be taken down to the dumpster in contractor bags when at all possible. Other things will be defaced/ labeled so people don't dumpster dive. Then clean the apartment as best as can. That will be "dirty" day. I tossed a great deal of my possessions when this first started and the one PCO visit I had (some items I now think prematurely)** I have not brought in any furniture except for the sleeper sofa, which is already gone.* Kitchen stuff was all just cheap make due plastic so tossing.

Day I am going to new place.
    The remaining items I am taking with me taken down to car.
    Wipe down and vacuum one last time. Deface and dispose of vacuum. Dispose of anything I still need to. Make sure everything is ready to go.
    Give kitty her bath (if possible). Put in temporary carrier. I jump in shower for one last very quick clean off. Change into clean out of dryer outfit and tennis shoes. Me and kitty out the door. Turn in keys. Change shoes at car; bag dirty shoes. We go on our way.

At new apartment, the laundry facilities are on a separate lower level away from any unit. Start all the washables except for one clean outfit and a pair of clean canvas shoes. Once inside my new apartment door, I strip and those clothes are sealed in a bag until they can be laundered. I shower and change again. Make sure kitty is set up and ok and bring the rest of stuff in.

Then probably a quick shopping trip for some essentials and food.
    Some major power shopping will ensue over Labor day weekend since I am moving with next to nothing.

Biggest loss from skanky old apartment:
    *Brand new sleeper sofa which I had two weeks but then felt had to get rid of due to the risk of infestation.
    **Entire doll collection and all books, CD's, DVD's, PC games

I am not taking my computer. I have wanted to replace that for a long time anyway, so not really a loss. Ditto with microwave and coffee maker.

I feel my chances of moving this way and being bug free are relatively good. I have a long list of avoidance protocols I will follow to not pick them up from anywhere else. I will inspect my new place carefully weekly (ok probably daily because I am so paranoid). I know the way they are spreading and the fact I am an apartment renter, this likely won't be my only encounter with BB's. But I hope I have a good long time of BB recovery ahead of me.

2. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 13:04:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry my post is so lengthy, but didn't want to leave out anything.

3. Callisto

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 19:53:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, leaving things like your cheques and passport in the trunk of your car for any length of time is a bad idea. What if your car is broken into or stolen? It would be better to keep them sealed in your new apartment. If you really believe they're infested and need to get access to them before a year (recommended time to kill BBs by starvation is 18 months btw) open and reseal them in your bathtub.

Otherwise your plan looks OK, based on an advice sheet from an exterminator I read (http://www.poulins.ca/images/stories/pdf/bedbugs_behind.pdf)

Good luck with your move!

4. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Aug 6 2010 9:07:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Callisto! I hadn't thought about if my car gets broken into. And I will keep them sealed for 18+ months.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,704 posts in 49,532 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,143 members. Latest: shawnpayne1982, JaphaSundog, Missdebra2323