Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Up to where should paranoia escalate

(4 posts)
  1. alsk

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 24 2018 12:06:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all. After getting bit once a week for about 7 wks, I finally found a bed bug 3 nights ago. Squished the living daylights out of it and saved it for ID. I talked to an exterminator today and he said even though he didn't see any signs (mattress, sheets, walls all clean), he was going to schedule me for treatment bc I had caught the one. I'm really hoping it was a hitchhiker (I live in Baltimore city lol), but I guess better safe than sorry. I live in a tiny studio and I'm just wondering up to where I should let my paranoia escalate lol. I already ran my clothes through the dryer on high and put them all in airtight plastic boxes (those gasket ones). But I have a lot of books that I am very much attached too and I'm wondering if taking one out to go read at a cafe or something is spreading the problem around to others? Or if packing them all up when my lease ends will just bring the bug problem with me? Again, levels of paranoia are beginning to bubble up. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Pattycake

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 24 2018 14:01:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Books can be treated in a pack tite heater or by Nuvan Strips.

3. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 24 2018 18:47:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a professional by any means, but I think there's a very good chance that one bug was the end of it. I'm going to tell you a story, because I think it will help put your mind at ease. I'm currently in a fight with these darn bugs thanks to a stay at the hospital. I know the exact day that I brought BBs home, I saw the damn things in my hospital room (after bringing our bags home). Unfortunately we had these drain flies coming into my apartment from a flooding basement unit, and I blamed those for the bites. I now know their bites are much smaller and just totally different. I discovered the first bed bug and their nest 65 days after coming home from the hospital. (that's pretty darn close to your 7 weeks, and I was not bit at all for the first 2 weeks, so I suspect I brought home eggs) By the end I was getting anywhere from 3-10 bites every single night. (many of these in groups of 2-3) There were no nights without bites by the end. Lucky for me they nested in my couch right beside the door, that hit the curb like hotcakes lol. Considering each bug feeds once per week and you're seeing 1 bite per week, your odds are pretty darn good that it's over. I believe you would be getting many more bites by now if there were a female capable of laying eggs. I very highly doubt there is anything in your books, but if it makes you feel better, the nuvan strips are cheap and effective. Just make sure to treat your books in a totally air tight bin. Those fumes are awful, you don't want that seeping out in a small studio apartment. (and read the label, they can be deadly if not used properly)

4. alsk

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 24 2018 22:21:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey @bugsareicky, thanks so much for sharing your story; I really appreciate it. I'm so sorry about your battle w/ them now; I probably would have gone insane if I had drain flies on top of dealing with bed bugs, so kudos. Wishing you the best of luck and a victory over these bugs. Thanks for the nuvan strips advice, I'll take a look. To you as well @Pattycake.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,715 posts in 48,877 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver