Untented Vikane in the Winter?

(11 posts)
  1. bbpsych

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 13:41:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm moving in 6 weeks and keep going back and forth between heat treating or Vikaning my moving truck. Vikane sounds appealing to me because I have a good amount of books and files and thought I might have better luck with Vikane than heat in treating them. I found a place nearby that does Vikane treatment, but I'm concerned about a few things . . .

1. This place says they don't tent. The say they put the gas in the back of the moving truck, close the door, and voila! - it stays there for 24 hours.

2. I live in Chicago and feel the temps getting colder with each passing day. If all goes according to plan, my treatment day will be November 8th. I looked up average temps, and the highs are likely to be in the low 50s, with lows at 40 or below. I've read Vikane is ineffective below 40. Is that true?

For these reasons, I'm not sure if I should move forward with this company. Thoughts?

I've put a call into Bed Bugs and Beyond, so maybe they'll give me other options as well.

IF I go the Vikane route . . . do you think it will be effective in treating my down comforter and down coat?

Thank you so much for any words of wisdom!

2. bbpsych

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 9:49:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been calling around, and I've still only found the one company that does Vikane (untented), so now I need to decide between untented Vikane in barely-there temps or heat . . . Thoughts?

3. bbpsych

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 12:20:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, seriously?! I can't believe I'm having so many mood swings about heat and Vikane! hahaha! I learned a little more about Vikane, and given the temperature variable and the fact that Chicago will be predictably cold in November (we just don't know HOW cold), I'm leaning toward heat. Even IF the average highs in early November hover around the low 50s (http://weather.msn.com/daily_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:USIL0225&weai=11), the average lows dip into the upper 30s, and given that the treatment will take 24 hours (meaning I need to have 24 hrs of 40+ degrees), I think Vikane is too risky.

I'd love to hear anyone's opinions!

4. MyWorstFear

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 18:10:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't know that Vikane was not effective below 40 degrees. (I'm not disagreeing with you, I just never thought about it). Since Chicago has more days per year below 40 degrees than above 40 degrees, what does the company that does this treatment in your area say about that? Is the truck they use kept in a garage that doesn't go below 40 degrees temperature? Where/how does the company that does heat treat? If they have to get the temperatures in that truck up to 170 degrees or so, I'd imagine that would be harder to maintain, but then again, I'm no expert!

5. bbpsych

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 18:20:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Good questions! The company doesn't provide the truck and doesn't have a garage and doesn't provide the truck. They told me I would drive my rental truck to them, and they would gas the back of the truck for 24 hours. I was initially nervous because they don't tent the truck (how can we ensure there aren't any cracks in the truck for the gas to get out?). Now I'm feeling less confident due to the temp issue.

The company that does heat comes to me and treats inside the rental truck. I'm not sure what their technique is, but I do plan to find out. They're a certified ThermaPure provider.

6. bbpsych

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 19:34:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I found this online earlier, and it's what prompted me to call the Vikane company back to ask about temperature: http://www.beyondpesticides.org/dow/indepth/labels/vikane.pdf .

7. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 28 2010 6:14:52
    #

Login to Send PM

BBPsych

Dow has a new label out for Vikane.

The link leads to the older version

I would favor gas fumigation over heat for a moving truck... Books, files, down comforters and jackets are all effectively treated with gas... The outdoor temperature issue can be addressed.

8. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 28 2010 6:37:06
    #

Login to Send PM

My understanding is that some places simply do not tent the trucks but the important thing is how carefully they monitor the Vikane concentration inside the truck.

9. bbpsych

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 28 2010 16:21:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both for your input. DougSummersMS, do you happen to know if the new label is on the Dow site? Richard56, it's helpful to know this place isn't the only one that doesn't tent. In ideal conditions, Vikane would be my first choice. The mood swings continue . . .

10. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 28 2010 22:27:00
    #

Login to Send PM

11. bbpsych

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 18:15:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88