Unsure of what to do next.

(7 posts)
  1. witsend123

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2014 8:56:42
    #

Login to Send PM

We discovered bed bugs in July. First we were treated by the council who used Ficam and insect growth regulator. After a month we still had the problem. We were told to wait another 4-6 weeks before calling again so we called in a large well known UK pest control company.

After checking our house they advised us to get rid of all our furniture in all 3 of our bedrooms. Second treatment in we discovered bed bugs in our living room on the couch. We were advised to clear this room also. Treatment consisted of 5 sprays one every week. They alternated chemicals each week using Ficam and Demand. One week they used something called Muscatrol. After the last treatment we were still seeing live bugs. The company first offered us one free treatment. They put down Muscatrol again. We were also advised to seal our rooms with caulk etc during the treatment process. We did start sealing during treatment but we still haven't finished.

After that the local rep boss called and persuaded us to pay for 3 more sprays. They came again and sprayed demand every week. The last one was last wednesday. On Thursday I found a live bed bug that had just fed on my duvet and I had been bitten 8 times on my arm.

We are unsure what to do now. We can't carry on buying treatments off a company who can't get rid of our problem, especially at the prices they are charging. We don't know how big our infestation is now. It can't be huge but we know we must still have them. What do we do?

2. Warfighter

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2014 9:31:58
    #

Login to Send PM

After checking our house they advised us to get rid of all our furniture in all 3 of our bedrooms. We were advised to clear this room also

You mean throw it all in the trash?

3. witsend123

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2014 9:35:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, all our funiture, beds, wardrobes, bookcases, the sofa and chair. Everything is gone.

4. WhatBugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2014 11:48:37
    #

Login to Send PM

witsend123 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Yes, all our funiture, beds, wardrobes, bookcases, the sofa and chair. Everything is gone.

You need to get in touch with David, goes by 'bed-bugscouk' here on the forums.

I hate hearing (reading) that all those items were tossed. Totally unnecessary.

WhatBugs?

5. Warfighter

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2014 11:58:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow! That's a serious financial hit to replace all your furniture and wardrobe. Great advice from WhatBugs.

6. witsend123

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2014 12:29:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, and yes it has cost us a lot of money. The treatment alone has cost us around £1000 so far. I will see if "bed-bugsuk" reply to my post. We really need some good advice.

7. spicynat

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2014 12:43:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!
    Sorry to hear about your story.
    I also think that throwing away furniture sounds a bit extreme.
    In my country you can get your furniture and belongings frozen at extremely low temperature for 72 hours to kill the bed bugs(at all stages, adults, babies and eggs) hiding in there.
    If you don't have enough money to get more professional treatments I suggest you try to steam everything in your house. You can usually find places that rent steam cleaning machines if you can't afford to buy one. Vacuum and steam every single place in your house, specially around cracks and places where bed bugs tend to hide.(specially beds and couches and around it)
    After that put some DE in every hole and crack you have in your house, then obstruct them with silica mastic(I believe it's called caulk.not sure English isn't my mother tongue) where possible. Important: make sure to buy DE(Diatomaceous Earth) that is food grade NOT the pool grade. Use it carefully.
    Pull your beds away from any wall or piece of furniture and place traps at their feet. I used little boxes filled with DE but there are also some traps called Climbup I believe.
    If bed bugs can't eat they'll die. Even if it takes long time for them to do so...

I'm not an expert at all. That's what I did at my place,(apart from freezing my belongings) and I haven't been bitten for 2 weeks now nor have seen a single bed bug dead or alive. But to be honest with you I'm still feeling very stressed about it. I guess I still need time to be sure they are really gone.

I hope this helps you a little bit. I truly hope you'll find a way to get rid of them quickly.
    Take care and good luck to you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams