(4 posts)
  1. dontbitemethanks

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Apr 27 2014 1:16:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all,
    First time using this forum, tried to understand the FAQs, but if I'm doing something wrong, please feel free to let me know, haha.

Sometime around the first or second week of March, I visited a doctor for some other ailments, got a cream, and went home. A day or two after that, I noticed some slightly itchy pink dots (around 5-7 on the inside of my left leg, near the groin area, and then down to the knee), that looked a little like bug bites with a small bubble in the middle, but I was unsure what they were exactly. Over the next week after that, I got 1-2 more every other day or so, ranging from a few on my shoulders near my armpit, and a few more on my leg. I went to the doctor asking if these pink dots were bug bites or an allergic reaction to the cream, and he dismissed both. After that, I continued to get more dots until I hit a grand total of around 17-18 or so. These dots were all probably no more than 1-1.5mm in diameter. Eventually they faded, but I can still sort of see a scar of sorts at the same spot (a little dot from the bubble, but no longer pink).

Fastforward to last week, April 21 or so. I was working on the computer and caught myself scratching a particuarly itchy spot on my right arm. Lo and behold, larger pink spots, 3 of which were probably around 2mm, and another one (probably irritated from my scratching) around 1cm. These eventually developed bubbles which I assume are where the bite marks are. The large pink spot had 3 bubbles on it, though eventually two of them have sort of combined into one larger bubble. This time around, these spots were really itchy, and I found myself sort of tapping the spot around the pink areas to try to calm myself from scratching them. By now, combined with the previous example, I am, and will admit, that I am a bit paranoid that I have bed bugs (never had them before, hence me freaking out). The next day, also working on my computer in the living room, noticed my left arm now had two spots, one right on the knuckle (really itchy spot) and another in the middle of my forearm (not that itchy). The one on the knuckle has not developed a visible bubble, but the mid-forearm one has. Within 12 hours, I noticed another pair on my left waist, not sure when they got there, but probably after the arm. These were slightly itchy as my underwear/jeans would rub against it as I moved about, though don't have a visible bubble.

Now thoroughly paranoid, I declared war and scoured through my room (which, I admittedly have not given a nice cleaning in a while) and looked for any sign of ANY bugs. I found something resembling a really small (~1mm) dried-up probably dead grey pillbug-like thing, a black-beetle/ladybug-like (but tiny, like 1.5mm) thing which I assume may be a carpet beetle. My mattress was clean, nothing on the bedframe, I vacuumed and threw old stacks of paper lying about into the recycling. I also began throwing various things into ziplocks rather than let them lay out in the open.

As I was moving along through my room at a slow pace (wanted to be sure), I picked up my old fabric guitar case and looked on the bottom. And there it was, two bug shells that were dry and stuck to it. I hastily vacuumed them up and started really closely inspecting everything. Night rolled around, and I went to bed quite nervous, and tucked my PJ shirts into my pants so if I got bitten again, it'd be along my arms and legs which are easier to spot than the torso. That was yesterday. I woke up today, half expecting new bites somewhere... but there were none. Did my vacuuming yesterday finish the bedbug/whatever was biting me?

Realizing that I should've kept the shells, I kept searching and vacuuming and found another one inside stuck to the side of some old slippers that I had tucked away under my bed. Grabbed some tape and stuck it to a piece of paper and took a photo of it, attached.

http://i.imgur.com/P8s5Ug0.jpg

My main question is, do these bites sound like bedbug bites? Does the shell look like a bedbug? I can't say about the smell, since my nose is pretty bad (though it does smell different compared to the hallway, but I guess that might be because of air circulation differences), and as for the droppings, I noticed black dots as I was vacuuming, but I'm pretty sure most of it was me tracking in artificial turf bits (black plastic specks), or they were just common dust things from my socks. I did find a weird smudge of something I have no clue about the origin, so there's that (also attached).

http://i.imgur.com/WN1sRiS.png

I'm just a little sick of the bites (I know many here have it a lot worse), but if this sounds like it might be bedbugs, I'd like to get a headstart on killing them off. I have yet to see a live one, but if I did, I probably wouldn't be making this post My family members have not been getting noticeable/any bites, so the bugs may still only be in my room, if we're lucky.

My home has a carpet floor, and isn't exactly in the best condition, so there's plenty of places for them to hide. I've finished cleaning most of my room (save for the closet), and all I've got is the 3 shells mentioned, which I don't know the exact age of.
    The slippers have not been touched in years, so they might be some other bug that's already gone off (and died) somewhere else, however, I recently used the guitar case, and left it overnight in another building for a night (though I didn't look on the bottom before that) the week before I got the second, larger wave of bites. I'm not sure if the bug is from the doctor's/already in my room for a long time/from the building I left the guitar in, or if they're even a bedbug. The bites are really all I've got going right now; family members shrugging it off as a spider bite of some sort.

I'm thinking of doing a second pass on the boxes of stuff under my bed tomorrow as well, praying to be bite-free in the morning.

p.s. made sure not to pop the bubble by accident, currently cooling off the itch with aloe gel and pure willpower :). I can provide a picture of the bites, but I'm a bit unwieldy with the camera (as you may have noticed)

2. Mike_Heatsolete

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Apr 27 2014 1:41:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi dontbitemethanks, Im sorry to hear about your troubles.

Your pictures aren't too clear so I can't say with 100% certainty, but I believe they are not bed bugs. I focus exclusively on bed bugs, so don't quote me but I think it looks like carpet beetles. I suggest you look carpet beetles up and get information on them. This may help you better handle the situation.

Hope this helps,
    Mike St.Amour
    Heatsolete

3. dontbitemethanks

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Apr 27 2014 2:16:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Mike

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    Here's a zoomed up image of the shell:

http://i.imgur.com/FgtYhVl.png

As for the smudge, I don't think it's droppings, but here's another photo (hopefully better, lighting at that part of the room is horrible):

http://i.imgur.com/LKIzllR.png

As for the image of the bites, I figured I may as well upload them as well.

http://i.imgur.com/Hs3oQzq.jpg

After doing a little more googling, yes, I also think it may be carpet beetles - I've always seen them around in small numbers, but this is the first time I've been bitten/reacted to them. I'll look into how to get rid of them, but I'll continue to report in until I'm certain.

EDIT fixed image for the shell

4. dontbitemethanks

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 7 2014 23:52:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Reporting in just as a minor update.
    Been "bite" free for a week, but this morning I woke up with two more bites on me, without the bubbles for now, one on my left ankle and one near my left knee (on the opposite sides of the leg).

This doesn't sound like bedbug behaviour, right?
    But it also doesn't seem like carpet beetles to me, as these "bites" are kind of spread out (and quite small in number comparatively).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,768 posts in 50,035 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,358 members. Latest: weluckyfew201, questioning_bugger, Mikayah