Unpacking after months reinvested?

(6 posts)
  1. Losingit1011

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Feb 24 2019 18:58:19
    #

Login to Send PM

We were treated for bed bugs last summer. We used a reputable professional who had 100% success rate on single family homes, which ours is. Our last treatment was in September. We have not had any signs or bites since and I have finally started to let myself forget about the whole thing. I now bag my daughter’s book bag every day after school (pretty sure that is where we got them as they were only ever in her room).
    My problem now is that I have left many things of hers boxed or bagged. These things were treated by either heat from the dryer or nuvan strips. I left things packed only because it gave me anxiety to unpack them. This weekend I finally unpacked a box of her books, books that before all of this had been on a bookshelf built right into her bed. Today she has a bug bite on her arm. It is the middle of winter and she has not had a big bite on her in months. Is this just a coincidence?? Or could I have inboxed and reinfected us!? Please keep in mind that a Nuvan strip was in this plastic container for over 2 months. I removed them some time ago but kept the books in there. Also know that this plastic bin has just been sitting in her room for months. Another box was on top of it which could have been keeping the lid down but I really don’t believe it was air tight all this time. If there were live bugs in it wouldn’t they have gotten out earlier? Could the nuvan strips not have worked? I’m just freaking out all over again over this. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Feb 24 2019 19:10:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. There was a plastic bin containing a nuvan strip sitting inside someone's bedroom, and this bin was not air tight?

3. Losingit1011

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Feb 24 2019 19:17:03
    #

Login to Send PM

No, when the nivan strip was in the bin it was sealed with duct tape for about 2 months. I then finally unsealed them and removed the nuvan strips but left the books boxed up because I just couldn’t bring myself to unbox them. After the strips were removed the box just sat there in her bedroom. Like I said, there was another box on top of it for the majority of the time but this is a fairly cheap plastic bin from Walmart and the top without tape was definitely not airtight. So my thoughts are wouldn’t a live bug have tried to get out previously and most likely succeeded? Am I being irrational by thinking I reinfested is?

4. SalsaVince

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Feb 24 2019 20:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

You are probably on high alert because you know that you recently opened those containers and are expecting the worst so the first thing you'll assume when you see a mark on you or your family is that you're reinvested. Ideally, you should have opened up those containers within a month or two after your treatments so that if by chance there was any bugs in them, they would come out and be killed by the residual sprays that we're still active. After half a year, those residuals might not be very effective. I assume you inspected the books as you pulled them out for fecal spots or actual bugs in them? That's really all you can do at this point is carefully inspect things as you open them. Do you have any passive monitors or interceptors around the house still in case you do see activity again?

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  5. Losingit1011

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Feb 24 2019 21:06:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I did not inspect the books, I don’t know what I was thinking. I guess I just assumed the nuvan strips had been in there long enough that we were safe. To be honest our infestation had very little evidence to it other than marks on my daughters sheets and of course her bites. No stains on her all white bed, no casts, barely a bug. Only one nymph during professional inspection and then one dead adult after treatment. All three treatments we had the technician never found live activity. All of this led me to believe it was very small and they assured me treatment would work. Told me I did great prep work. My daughter and her rooms seemed to be the only place they were at all. Her father and I never received bites or any signs in our room. Her bed cannot benefit from climb ups because it is kind of what you would call a “captains bed” so there are no feet on it, the whole bottom just sits on the floor. Her mattress was encased and climb ups are on our bed legs just in case.
    I guess I really should have unpacked these boxes earlier, I was just so nervous. I am hoping this is just a coincidence, especially just being one bite. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

6. Losingit1011

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Feb 24 2019 21:07:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I did not inspect the books, I don’t know what I was thinking. I guess I just assumed the nuvan strips had been in there long enough that we were safe. To be honest our infestation had very little evidence to it other than marks on my daughters sheets and of course her bites. No stains on her all white bed, no casts, barely a bug. Only one nymph during professional inspection and then one dead adult after treatment. All three treatments we had the technician never found live activity. All of this led me to believe it was very small and they assured me treatment would work. Told me I did great prep work. My daughter and her rooms seemed to be the only place they were at all. Her father and I never received bites or any signs in our room. Her bed cannot benefit from climb ups because it is kind of what you would call a “captains bed” so there are no feet on it, the whole bottom just sits on the floor. Her mattress was encased and climb ups are on our bed legs just in case.
    I guess I really should have unpacked these boxes earlier, I was just so nervous. I am hoping this is just a coincidence, especially just being one bite. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,917 posts in 50,062 topics over 155 months by 21,886 of 22,374 members. Latest: kslone1006, Hex999, Gauned