Unknowingly brought home bed bugs, didn't realise

(21 posts)
  1. rosiepickle

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 7:57:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! I travelled with work last week and stayed one night in a hotel.
    Honestly I'm naive I suppose and didn't check my hotel room, it was very posh so I assumed there would be no issues, plus I don't travel often so just wasn't aware of the risks.

I arrived home on Wednesday morning after a night flight, emptied my suitcase and went to bed for a few hours. Fast forward to Saturday and bites start to appear on my arms and keep increasing until now, Tuesday, I have around 30 bites on my body. I started to research bed bugs on Sunday and realise that its likely this is what my issue is. Last night I felt something on my chest and was able to catch a tiny brown bug which when squashed had a small amount of blood in it.
    It was so small it was hard to see if it was indeed a bed bug but I think I can safely assume it was.

I've stripped my bed, took bedding (duvet, pillows, mattress cover) to dry cleaners and washed all the sheets on 60 and plan to take it to a laundrette to dry it tonight as I don't have a dryer. I thoroughly inspected the mattress, bedding, bed frame and suitcase and cannot see any traces or signs of bed bugs.

My questions are...
    -Should I take ALL my clothes to the laundrette to heat because they could have come in contact with the clothes I wore on my trip?
    -Should I call in pest control to treat the mattress and the bed frame even if I can't find any signs of the bugs?
    -What about other rooms I have been in/my luggage has been in since returning? I put the luggage in the front room for a couple of hours. I have a rug in there but no other carpet in the flat.
    -Is it possible that I only brought one bug back or is that unrealistic?

Thanks!

Rosie

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 8:58:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It’s always better to post a picture than to assume, that way we can start accurately and make sure things are done correctly.

If you still have access to the sample please post an image for ID.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. rosiepickle

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 9:09:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I took a photo but I had already squashed it at this point and so the shape is a little funny...my camera also would not really allow any detail so it's really not a good photo, not sure it will be helpful at all.

https://imgur.com/jKPuPuF
    https://imgur.com/patKcfN

Here are some of the bites on my shoulder also - https://imgur.com/t5V5Im2

4. rosiepickle

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 9:12:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and some extra info if this helps...
    -My boyfriend (who did not travel with me) has no bites
    -I didn't put clothes on the bed that I can remember and kept suitcase on a table. My PJ's however went back in the suitcase obviously

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 9:12:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you look at the example images you will see the nymphs are not dark in colour but translucent. Given the colour of your sample and it’s size it’s not a bedbug.

Hope that helps.

David

6. rosiepickle

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 9:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

Thanks again for speedy reply, could it be an adult bug that I have brought home from the hotel?

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 9:21:21
    #

Login to Send PM

They feed roughly once a week; you'd have brought quite a few home if those skin lesions are in fact bed bug bites.
    I agree, a photo would be most helpful. Oops, didn't notice the images....

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 9:22:57
    #

Login to Send PM

It’s too small to be an adult.

It’s not a bedbug.

David

9. rosiepickle

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 9:24:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, please see above comment, I linked some photos

Hmm okay well thats reassuring...I didn't sleep at all the night I was in the hotel but that was in large part because I was anxious about a meeting the next day so maybe I'd have noticed if I was being bitten silly?

If not bed bugs then I am stumped because we have no pets/contact with animals (fleas) and mosquitos/midges aren't common where we live or at this time of year! Plus that little brown thing in the picture didn't really look like a mosquito...

10. rosiepickle

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 9:27:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, David!

Just to clarify, ignoring the mystery bug I found last night and in regards to the bites, is there no possibility they could be from bed bugs in the hotel?
    Does it not make sense that I got so many in one (sleepless) night and they appeared days later?

I don't know whether to take the cleaning/heating steps just in case or if I'm just being paranoid..

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 9:38:32
    #

Login to Send PM

It may not be insect related at all.

12. rosiepickle

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 10:04:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Good point... hadn't considered that!

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 10:29:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would suggest the following:

1 - watch the hotel inspection video and always check a place before you stay. The quality of the room is no indication of the bedbug status.

2 - wash your clothes as per normal, check the luggage.

3 - considering monitoring your own bed for early detection and simplified treatment should something come home with you.

However do that understanding nothing you have put forward confirms bedbugs, these are just the steps we do to avoid issues and to limit them should they occur.

David

14. rosiepickle

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 11:21:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for all the advice, will definitely follow these steps!!

Thanks again

15. rosiepickle

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 17:08:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I’m back with more paranoid questions!

I got home and checked the sheets I had just washed on 60 degrees, I found some small black marks which when I touched they smudged. There was only about 6 across 4 pillow cases and a bottom sheet but I have no idea what they could be if not bed bug feces?

Please see pics -

http://imgur.com/pg3DyVw
    http://imgur.com/nGhIX5B
    http://imgur.com/bn6Xed4

It reminded me of mascara or soot or something. I saw someone said that they’re hard to remove if fecal so I gave one a light scrub and it came off with not much effort... the other thing may be worth noting, I used a wet cotton bud to try see if it was red or brown but it stayed black.

Any ideas?

I’ve completely scrubbed down the bed frame now and also scrutinised the mattress but can’t find any other evidence.

Thank you again!

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 17:33:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Too homogenous black to be faecal which is a brown made up of layers of a burnt yellow colour .

David

17. rosiepickle

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 17:39:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David, you’re the best!

18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 18:05:25
    #

Login to Send PM

rosiepickle - 22 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks David, you’re the best!

When it comes to faecal I will accept that but Lou beats me hands down on species ID’s.

David

PS safe and sound back in London and happy to be back in my own space, 22 hours was a long trip home but I managed to shoot an awesome video which I hope to edit into “during travel inspection routines”.

19. rosiepickle

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 5:51:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Haha, faecal expert is quite the title!

Oh that's interesting, I don't know why but I assumed you were based in the U.S.!

I had a few more bites last night (or at least I think I did...could be old ones I hadn't noticed) but still no sign of any bed bugs, mattress and bed frame is spotless...I guess at this point all I can do is wait and see :( it's making me so anxious!!

20. SalsaVince

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 9:43:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Consider using passive monitors on your beds and furniture. It's an affordable way to have peace of mind when you are concerned about being exposed to bed bugs and you can leave them there for future inspections too even if you don't have them this time around. Seeing a clean monitor is much more comforting and effective than just depending on visual inspections of the bed.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  21. rosiepickle

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 9:57:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I actually just bought one! After I posted that comment I did even more research and bought one from bed-bugs which I believe is Davids company

I can't wait for it to arrive, hopefully will settle some nerves, thanks for the suggestion!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,530 posts in 47,701 topics over 147 months by 21,020 of 21,346 members. Latest: pray4mojo, yassine, tsm