University of Texas at Dallas infested?

(9 posts)
  1. itchyinrichardson

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 15 2011 15:51:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Two days ago I found a straggler bed bug on my box spring. I used to work for two pest control companies so I know the process of eliminating them. What I don't know is the legal recourse I have against my apartment. I called in yesterday and have no heard anything. Upon moving in signed a bed bug addendum stating I did not have bed bugs and that if I get any that I need to report it and that I MAY be liable to pay for the services to eliminate them. I know I am not the root cause. I have a brand new mattress that was delivered after I moved in. I am a very clean person and I only wear my clothes once and they are washed. I will be sending my apartment a certified letter stating my findings and a copy of my new mattress receipt. I would like this dealt with in a timely manner, and I don't think I should have to pay. Has anyone been through this already? Or can recommend a lawyer? Something tells me this is the beginning of a very large mess.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 15 2011 16:31:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear itchy,

Where are you located?
    I may be able to refer you to a suitable firm in your area.

Comments:

> Speak to an attorney but choose one knowledgable in pest related matters. If they have direct BB experience as well as landlord-tennant matters experience all the better for you.

> Was your bed delivered by a company that also picks up the old mattress? If so, it may be possible that your new bed was "cross contaminated" prior to being delivered to you. As such, you may need to consider the bed retailer as a source as well.

good luck, paul b.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 15 2011 18:58:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi itchy,

When it comes to something in the lease, you really need expert legal advice. I am not a lawyer and no one here should be giving legal advice.

If you are a student, someone in the housing office may be able to advise you or refer you to a lawyer or legal aid clinic.

If you are not a student, try to find a tenants' organization in your city, county, or nearest city, which may be able to advise you on local laws or refer you to a legal aid clinic.

The University's law school (if one exists) may have a legal clinic. And the American Bar Association will refer you to lawyers also.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 16 2011 14:40:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Check...

http://www.martindale.com

...descendant of the former encyclopedic Martindale-Hubbell lawyers' print directory.

5. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 16 2011 14:43:11
    #

Login to Send PM

> University of Texas at Dallas infested?

You mean, other than by Texans?

6. itchyinrichardson

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 9:29:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Turns out my apartment complex was very good at getting someone out quickly, but I recieved a notice that one of my neighbors has recently found bed bugs. This is obviously a big problem and a pest control professional noticed upon inspection within the past couple days that there was bed bug fecal matter on my ceiling/ wall . I would like the apartment complex to at least pay for a mattress protector since the mattress is new and the company that delivered picks up used mattresses in an entirely different truck than what is used to deliver new mattresses. Am I asking for way too much?

7. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 10:20:24
    #

Login to Send PM

You can eradicate an infestation perfectly well without needing to go down the encasement route so I really wouldn''t bother fighting what will in any case, probably be a losing battle with your LLs.

Much more useful might be to have a very calm talk with them, or write them a calm & polite letter, suggesting that it may be cost-effective to provide & require tenants to use passive monitors. These will give tenants a very early indication of BB problems which can save a lot of treatment costs in the long run. Light infestations caught early are the easiest to eradicate & in a multi-unit situation passive monitors can give a lot of information about the pattern of spread from one apartment to another. We all know it's important to check all adjoining units, but clearing those may not address an infestation elsewhere in the building caused by, say, one tenant accepting a gift of used furniture from another.

Unlike devices like climbups that advertise to the world, "We're taking BB precautions!" passives are discreet & have the further advantage of not needing daily checks.

Although you've worked in the pest control industry, I'm a bit concerned that you've still got a couple of BB urban myths hanging about in your post - for example, BBs are a pest of exposure, not hygeine, & the cleanest home in the world can still get infested. Do have a stroll through the Bed Bugs 1:01 section here; http://bedbugger.com/faqs for accurate & up-to-date info.

8. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 11:14:36
    #

Login to Send PM

It's always good to ask, as you never know, they might agree. I don't think you can demand one, however, or even passives or a PackTite. All might be things to suggest/discuss as the problem seems to be spread throughout the building.

9. itchyinrichardson

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 13:14:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for both of your replies. I totally understand that bedbugs are not caused by filth. They feed off of humans. They do, however they like to hide in whatever they can when they are not feasting on humans, so it is important to keep a clean area so that you are aware of how many are around. Also vacuuming does offer an opportunity to suck up bed bugs and also their eggs, which can be slightly helpful.

I believe that it is very possible that not all the adjacent apartments are not being treated. I also think there is a possibility the pest control company looks at this and treats it like a gold mine. Why fix the problem completely if you know that you can just keep it under control and continue to make the money off of the apartment?
    It is sad but some companies do operate in the manor.

Oh also, as an update. The apartment made it very clear they will not cover getting a mattress protector. Not sure what to think about that. It seems like a simple solution for them to take, but I guess that is not in their treatment plan, when personally I really think it should be.

This apartment complex has had bed bug issues for years and I don't think its going away anytime soon. Guess its time to wear some heavy deet to bed and hope that works....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,225 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago