Under stairs storage treatment

(4 posts)
  1. Stressedbugmom

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jul 15 2018 2:48:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello. We have what I would call a light infestation. Bites for about 2 weeks on me only (not similarly sensitive skinned kids or husband), found 2 adults and 2 nymphs behind our bed and some fecal stains - no blood on sheets. Called a PCO, followed their directions to prep, threw out large pillows we used as a headboard and floor length curtains in our room (only place with signs of activity). Treatment done 2 days ago with Drione (which my body hates, so that’s fun), Temprid Ac, and Transport Mikron. Put covers on all mattresses and box springs after. Now we wait for 2 weeks for the follow up visit from the PCO. FWIW, PCO found no “bug activity” during the treatment, but the guy who did the treatment was not the owner that we’ve been dealing with (who does seem to know what he’s doing).

Two questions:
    (1) we are not sure how they got in here, but we suspect a work trip I look in May. Suitcases are stored with our Xmas decorations under the stairs to the basement in an unfinished area.. Concrete floor, cement brick exterior walls, but wood under stairs and on some walls. We got a packtite heater and treated everything in there that was small enough, and bagged the bigger stuff with Nuvan strips. The PCO sprayed that room but I don’t see that he put down the drione in there. Should we take other action in the storage space? It isn’t a 100% airtight room, and there are some foundation cracks in the cinder blocks. We plan to caulk those. Any other suggestions? I don’t want them to hibernate there until our kids are playing more often in the basement near them when the weather gets colder.

(2) if we need a second and third treatment, will we have to go as crazy with the washing/heating/treating every fabric item in the house again? I assume the bedding is a given, but the prep took like 4 full days of round the clock work and we still haven’t gotten to the “lower priority” stuff. My husband has made good friends with the laundromat ladies, though. My husband wants to move everything back in and I am like “wait, let’s be logical about this, some sealed bags in the garage is not the end of the world.”

(3) we have an aweomae dyson that is not so awesome for this issue. PCO ran some
    Drione through it but recommended we clean it to so now it’s sitting in a bag outside. My plan is boiling water and bleach. I may end up just tossing it, but I don’t want to do so until this is all over and it’s an $800 vacuum and this ordeal has already cost us close to $2500. I know how lucky we are to be able to swing that (although sad about the home improvement project that money was earmarked for).

2. Pattycake

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jul 15 2018 13:20:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Why would you throw out your vacuum. It has a washable hepa filter and a plastic tub. I emptied mine into plastic bags tied them up and threw the bags out. Then i boiled water to clean the bin with some soapy water.

3. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jul 15 2018 13:56:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to agree, if you take it apart properly, the vacuum can definitely be saved.
    I'd personally bring in the clothing you'll need for a couple of weeks and just keep the rest tied up in the garage until it's over. That will save you a lot of work and stress. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the storage area, and it sounds like your PCO is on the same page. You have bugs in your room. That leads me to believe that if they did come from your suitcase, they are no longer on it. They definitely prefer to be closer to food. I think the spray he did there was more or less to make you feel better. I mean it can't hurt, but I doubt it was really necessary. They aren't going to just hang out in the basement starving when there's an all you can eat buffet being served upstairs.

4. Stressedbugmom

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 23 2018 23:03:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Update and more questions, since I am trying to follow the rules and keep my story in one thread. We are almost two weeks out from our first treatment. I have had no bites since (and neither has the husband or the kids, but they never did). We saw a couple dead nymphs the first couple of days after treatment and nothing since. We put climbups down in our room and I ordered the packtite monitors for the kids rooms (their beds aren’t climb up friendly, and we’ve never seen signs in their rooms).

PCO comes Thursday to inspect and tell us if he’ll do a second treatment. He claims the first one usually does it, which is suspicious, but I will admit that the chemicals/methods he used and the instructions he gave us are totally in line with what I’ve read here during my many sleepless nights. The company also has excellent reviews and BBB ratings generally, although they deal with all sorts of pests. We have a year warranty, so he will come back if we need it. What questions should we ask him/expect him to do during that visit/inspection so we can have some confidence?

Second, when/how can I clean my floors/bedroom furniture? PCO told us sweeping was ok but not to mop because he used residuals. I am torn between desperately wanting a spotless clean house and wanting that poison out for as long as possible.

Finally, what have people done to calm the anxiety and sleep? My husband seems to have no problems, but I’m so type A and pride myself on my research and problem solving skills.....but I fear those are both leading me off the deep end here. I am really struggling to relax and feel anything close to normal.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,693 posts in 50,017 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur