(uh oh...)

(55 posts)
  1. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 8:39:50
    #

Login to Send PM

so i'm sitting on the toilet this morning when i glanced down and saw something suspicious crawling on my left calf. i brushed it off my body as fast as i could and it lands somewhere but i can't find it. i KNOW it doesn't look like a roach...i FEEL it looked like the shape of a bb. I tear everything in the bathroom apart and examine any place i think it could be hiding or where i could have landed... i couldn't find it.

i close the door to the bathroom so whatever is in there can't get out.....

i go tell hubby and..well..of course he smiles and looks at me like i'm losing my mind (remember....he's never actually seen a bb here!) and i'm also sort of wondering whether i'm imagining it or something...

went back about a half hour later to take my shower and after i dry off and hang the towel to let it dry....i see a dark spot on the towel...quickly i put my glasses on...it's a bug...it's ...it's...a freakin' bed bug. Alive! Smallish ..bb shape and flat...dark but doesn't seem filled with blood.

i call out to husband that there's a bb and to bring a clear plastic something so i can catch it. I didn't want to take my eye off of the thing. Got the bag -- not completely transparent but translucent and i try to pick the bug off with the bag...it took me three attempts..that freakin' bug was hanging on to the towel for dear life.

Husband says...it DOES look like a bb! We agree it's definitely not a roach but i am also thinking that maybe it's a tick because yesterday..against my better judgment, i accepted an invitation to a friend's home..My friend's wife works in a hospital and my friend is a member of a health club. So i know that they are both possible exposure victims! They have a bunch of dogs and all of the dogs were friendly and sitting at our feet, nudging to be petted, etc. I SHOULD have thought to have hubby and i strip down upon returning home so we could put our clothes in the PT...but i didn't think of it!!!

Now i have to wait for this bug to freeze (i wonder how long it will take...it has been in there a half hour already)...i just looked at it and it's not moving around but i think that it may revive quickly if i don't get it good and frozen before i take it out and try to grab a picture of it to put up here for positive identification.

Oh Lord....help meeeeeeeeeeee (Puleeeeeze let it be a lone bb)

2. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 9:30:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh Deedle,
    I hope it's a different type of bug, but if it turns out to be a bb, I hope it's a lone one too. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. good luck!

3. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 10:19:22
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks sleepless...

i just took that critter out of the freezer and taped him to a white piece of paper but i couldn't get a good picture of it. Husband will try his hand at it but i popped the bug back in the freezer for a few minutes since i was afraid he would warm up and take off.....

but it really does look like a bb.... Ugh!!

hope to post good pic in about 10-15 minutes...

4. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 11:16:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Fingers still crossed!

5. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 11:17:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Well guys...here's my pic...

i'm sure that husband won't have the picture he took (i think it's going to be about as bad as mine) ready until maybe....um....never? but i'll put it up as soon as i have it.

I know it's a bb..i don't even know why i'm going through the trouble of putting up a photograph....(sigh)..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54282158@N07/5026634686/

6. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 11:28:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Sigh .. IT IS a Bed Bug Deedle.

7. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 11:34:01
    #

Login to Send PM

yep...i know...and now i see the skin reaction EXACTLY where the bug was when i swiped it off...

so do i schedule another whole treatment? Most of my stuff is still in plastic so it wouldn't be as traumatic as last time....

8. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 11:39:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the bad news BTW. That would really depend on a bunch of numbering factors that I don't really know about, so I couldn't tell you without any information.

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 11:51:23
    #

Login to Send PM

(((group hug!)))

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  10. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 11:56:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle I am so sorry but have confidence you can deal with it. Haven't you been bite and bug free for a while now? These things are positively evil!!

11. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 11:59:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Cilecto...i needed that!!

Kirads....yes it was May 17since my first and only treatment and no bbs since then...more than 4 months for crying out loud!!

i hate these freakin' bugs

One thing i notice this time is that i don't feel all itchy and freaked out like i did before. I think...i'm not sure...but i think i'll be able to sleep tonight.. and that makes me feel as you do, that's i'll get through this crap again.

or...maybe i'm so deep in denial that i'm clutching on to the hope that we just brought one home last night from the people we visited...

see? That why i am not going to visit anyone ever again in the whole rest of my LIFE!!

Oy vey..

12. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 12:06:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear of this development Deedle. Crossing fingers it was a lone rouge.

You think it rode into the bathroom on you or it got on you in there?

At least your husband is not in denial this time.

13. Bugfreak

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 12:37:36
    #

Login to Send PM

So sorry for you Deedle.

You will definitely get through this again! My NYC sister had a loner in her bathroom too (certainly hoping that's the case for you), and she managed her treatment quickly and efficiently this time around.

Sending good vibes. . .

14. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 12:46:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Spidey...

well that's the REAL question...you hit the nail on the head...

When did the bug get on me and where was i when it did. Here are the possibilities:

1. It got on me as i sat on the toidy (did i say toidy??)...i suppose i had been sitting there for no more than a couple of minutes. It's possible that the bug was in the bathroom and got on me there.

(Edited to add that i think the bb had just started to feed because there is only a very small and not very itchy (yet) skin reaction where the bug was and so i figure that if he had been on me while i was in bed and had been feeding, the bug itself would have been fat (and it was very flat) and it would have caused more skin reaction than it did before i knocked it away. I think this may be evidence tending to support the position that the bug got on me in the bathroom where it could have gotten in from another apartment through the air vent thingy)

2. It got on me when i was in my bedroom. It was fairly early in the morning. If it was in the bedroom there are a couple of possibilities: (1) we brought it home on our clothes last night and since i did not throw the things in the packtite...the bug got off the clothes and came over to me to feed; or (2) i have an infestation independent of our outing last evening and it's in the bedroom.

Thanks for the good vibes Bugfreak! i'm hoping i make out like your sister...

15. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 13:26:17
    #

Login to Send PM

> Sorry to hear of this development Deedle. Crossing fingers it was a lone rouge.

You mean "rogue", right Spidey? The "rouge" bugs were last seen prowling the ground floor of Macy's.

16. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 13:31:04
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 1 minute ago  » 
    > Sorry to hear of this development Deedle. Crossing fingers it was a lone rouge.
    You mean "rogue", right Spidey? The "rouge" bugs were last seen prowling the ground floor of Macy's.

D'oh. Shows what I get typing on only half a cup of coffee.

17. scaredsilly

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 13:31:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, what a bummer, Deedle. Hopefully you can get someone out right away. I would do full treatment just to be safe. At least you are already packed up and you know what you are in for so there should be much less work. You are such an inspiration to a lot of us. I'll say a prayer...

18. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 13:43:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry Deedle. That really stinks. :-(. like Spidey said, hope it's a rogue bb and actually hope
    it came home with you last night (by himself) rather then through the bathroom vent.

Hugs!!!! For you, not for that nasty booger

19. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 14:40:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Guys...and it WOULD be funny to see a bb with some rouge on it's lips.....Ugh!!

So KQ...you know how he always comes to the rescue (we've got to get him a cape with a big NoBB insignia on it) ....He graciously took my call a few minutes ago and he thinks that it probably did not come from the people i visited yesterday since i didn't spend the night there....and since the people downstairs have had bbs and prefer to use their own person to do the treatment instead of the really conscientious guy that did mine and the people upstairs from me who also had bbs before (who works for the building), perhaps the bb came into the bathroom really hungry from their apartment if they were doing some treatment of their own and since the bb was really flat, he hadn't gotten a good meal off me yet but probably came right over to me to feed.

Well..i hope KQ is right about that..I'll get some interceptors and put them aroud the bed...we have a platform bed...and then we'll see if i catch anything. In the meantime while i'm waiting for the delivery of the interceptors, i'll make some home made harborage thingies and put those around the bed.... And, i'll tell the landlord that i have another bb and that i may need another treatment if i see any other evidence....

this is NOT going to be like the last time!!

Thanks for all the good thoughts and wishes...

20. controlfreak

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 16:03:24
    #

Login to Send PM

That's very sad :-(. Is there any chance you can get people sharing walls with you to get treated at the same time? It is probably not possible that this is a left over one from 4 months ago? Ughh when i read these, it feels like there is no getting rid of them :-(. How is the husband taking this change of events? I hope it is an isolated case and you won't see anymore. Good wishes and tons of patience to you...

21. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 16:15:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle! NO!!!!!!

This isn't fair! It's got to be the only one; I believe that for you. I really do!

bug-free hug!

22. BedBugPanic

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 16:37:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle, I'm so sorry that after been free of them for so long, that another one found its way to you. I do hope it is a lone ranger and that there are no others. KQ does have a good point though too. I'd be prepared from all angles. Huge hugs to you and my prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

23. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 16:53:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Geee Whiz Guys...

Thanks... you're making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (and you know that that ain't no way for a "mouthpiece" to feel - i just love in those old black and white gangster movies when the bad guy tells the 'coppers' who are interrogating him: "Talk to my Mouthpiece.")

I must tell you that i'm not all freaked out. I feel rather calm. i would be calmer if hubby wasn't planning to fly off for a couple of days and nights (nights in an airport hotel) Ugh!!

I don't feel all skeeved out...

I don't have that generalized itching

I think i'm going to be able to sleep tonight...

Thanks again everybody...

24. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 17:39:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, good, Deedle; that means the fact that I'm doing all of that stuff for you is working! Hey, at least something is.

Just put hubby in a Ziploc before you let him in. At least now he should understand!

25. kannon_bosatsu

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 17:44:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Fingers crossed that it's just one lonely male hitchhiker. I'm so sorry you are going through this again.

26. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 18:05:25
    #

Login to Send PM

yeah, yeah Kannon that's right......lone male bb...that's it...yeah...

lone...

male....

all by himself....

(that's my mantra as i go to sleep tonight)

Hey Reluctant... You've got to KNOW that positive energy and good thoughts DO actually help. I use that type of thing with my clients (along with solid research and writing, of course) in my law practice. I won't brag here about my win record...but it's out of this world!!! Please keep those prayers, good thoughts, and positive vibrations coming!! (i really appreciate it)

27. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 20:10:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Coming late to the party - but ohhhh Deedle! So sorry!

Hopefully it was a male. A lone male. From elsewhere.

I wonder, if it did come from downtairs, if there is something you can do...

28. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 20:30:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi mcs...

This is one party i wish i were not invited to attend...can you believe this crap??

There's no way that my landlord is going to treat the apartments below, above and on either side of me unless those guys say they are infested as well. Fuggedaboudit! (hmmmm but maybe i'll knock on their doors tomorrow morning to see if they have seen anything suspicious...but the people on one side of me speak Mandarin (i think it's Mandarin)...i suppose i could take a picture of a bb and use international sign language...

You?
    Here...Inside your place?
    BB?

If they make a positive indication, i can tell the landlord...they may intervene and do something.

So i'm keeping my eyes open. And i just thank God that i happened to see that little sucker and that i was able to catch it because you know how many times we read where people get sucked on and they can even find the critter. So, i'm happy to have the specimin.

I wish i COULD baggy my husband..or at least forbid him to travel...but alas...someone must wear the pants around here (and although i keep sneaking the pants away from him...he always notices that he's pantless and he INSISTS on having the pants back!! I keep offering him that he can wear one of my skirts...but for some reason he doesn't go for that!)

29. SearchandDestroy

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 20:35:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Lone...male...was in bathroom...now dead.

I vote for the bathroom. I had a bite early in the am one morning and I swore it was when I sat on the toilet. People poo poo-ed it (no pun intended) because I was only on the throne for like a minute. But I swore that's where it came from.

Slept in my bed for 3 nights and nothing. Went into the bathroom and found a baby or two in there over the course of the next few days. Have since sprayed between the baseboard and floor.

I think when these suckers are hungry..they will run like the devil to get on you..even if only on the toilet for a minute. New rule of thumb - when sitting on the toilet, keep feet up!

I hope treatment is quick and painless for you!

30. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 20:42:54
    #

Login to Send PM

SearchandDestroy - 7 minutes ago  » 
    New rule of thumb - when sitting on the toilet, keep feet up!

LOL!!!

Hope you figure it out, Deedle. What a nightmare.

31. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 21:48:43
    #

Login to Send PM

i know what i'm gonna do...

i'm not going to sit down in the bathroom any more...

i'm gonna pee standing up from now on! That'll teach those bed bugs that want to get on my legs!! Of course, there'll be a lot of cleaning up afterwards!

32. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 23:38:43
    #

Login to Send PM

uh...then your legs are still on the ground, right?

33. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 4:29:46
    #

Login to Send PM

(oh nooo, mcs...you silly, i have a little harness and pulley system so i can pull myself up and easily hover over the toilet!)

Okay...not good news this morning.

I'm seeing other small sort of itchy mosquito bite looking things...2 on my left ankle area, one on left forearm and one on underside of right forearm.

sooo...

i'm going to schedule another treatment. i don't know whether it's that one bug that bit me...but yesterday when i saw the bug on me, the skin reaction appeared within an hour or so. I did not see or feel these itchy places yesterday so i'm assuming that these are being caused by other bbs that bit me after that bathroom incident and not by the one that is still in my freezer (or at least i hope he's still in my freezer).

I must take apart everything in the bedroom. I think that's where they will be found.

Oh crud....here we go again!

I snuck out of bed really early this morning and left my poor husband in there like a gigantic bb feed bag! Ohhh nooooo...

(Edited at 6:09am to indicate that those little bite looking things on my ankles and forearms are practically gone now and there's no more itch. i remember that before, i used to get little bite looking things from time to time that seemed to magically disappear quickly. i don't know what that is about.. could it be a reaction in my whole blood system to the bb juice that causes that? Anyway, i'm watching closely and if they are completely gone by the time the landlord representative's office opens up, i'll not schedule another chemical treatment and wait another 24 hours. If i get one more anything, gosh darn it - excuse my strong language -i'm calling in the big guns!!!)

34. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 5:33:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I hope they stay away and all is well.

Hey, at the least, now you know how quickly you react, no?

35. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 8:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

well yes..mcs...that's very good to know. It's rather quickly...no more than an hour and a half or so.

and now those two on my ankle area are so faint you can hardly see them and there is no itch to them at all, even when i tickle the area...also forearms are the same.

I stripped the bed again this morning after hubby got up. He denies being bitten during the night (i inspected him after his shower -- everything looks normal )

Bed looks just fine. I have on my whitest brightest sheets and i went over everything including the mattress cover and lifted mattress and examined everything carefully. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch...not an egg, not a crispy exoskeleton, no blood, no smears, no nothing...

Thank goodness....

36. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 9:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh Deedle -

I am so sorry! I felt like your success was all of our success - if you could do it so could I!

I am impressed you are so calm. I do not know if I could be the same. Strange as this may sound, I hope they are coming from downstairs (upstairs?) and not hidden in your apt. Is the sample you found a nymph or adult? It adult males have a sort of pointy abdomen (P for pointy and - well you know) A male would be preferable!

If your building guy is so good, why won't the other neighbors let him in to treat? I hope this is over fast for you!

37. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 9:16:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I was trying to think - how can deedle set up her bathroom like a fortress, to keep them out if they are from downstairs?

38. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 10:18:08
    #

Login to Send PM

i was thinking of covering the vent..that's the only way to close off the bathroom from my neighbors...

Oh..did i mention that about 10 days ago i had a flood in here from my lovely tenant from upstairs who (i believe let the bathtub overflow) said her toilet over ran and she couldn't get it to stop. Let's see that was at about 3am and thank goodness hubby was surfing the internet and the next thing i heard was him saying....."Honey...get up....We gotta get out of here" so me, thinking it's a fire, hop out of bed, throw on some clothes and rush out the bedroom into ankle deep water in hallway connecting the kitchen and bathroom to the living room. What a freakin' mess....the ceiling had to be opened out and left to dry for several days until the guys came back to patch it and paint, etc.....it's possible something got in at that time...and i was very watchful about the opened ceiling in the bathroom!!! Ugh!

oh pointy abdomin means male? Then i'm in big trouble because i don't think it was pointy...it's in the freezer still and Lou wanted me to send a better picture so he could tell me what sex it is, but i can't take a better picture. my camera (or my eyes, i'm not sure which) really sucks. I'll take HIM out of the freezer and see if he looks pointy in any way...but it seems to me that he looks very rounded in the hindparts! Maybe i'm wrong about that. i hope so.

39. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 10:43:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle,
    I'm doing mojo mojo on your booger. ~sleepless is circling her arms in front of her, chanting, "pointy abdomen, pointy abdomen, pointy abdomen..." booger is in a trance now as "HIS" abdomen is getting pointier and pointier.~

Fingers crossed again!

You are awesome, deeds.

40. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 12:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

ohhh goodie keep that up!!

...i just got the go ahead to mail Lou the VERY MASCULINE HAIRY MUSCULAR, TESTOSTERONE DRIPPING AND HANDLEBAR MUSTACHED bb that is in my freezer (i swear i thought i smelled him (bb, not lou) wearing old spice -- or was it Hai Karate?)

(Sleepless, your chanting and dancing and all must be working...)

41. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 15:53:34
    #

Login to Send PM

LouBuggs did me the favor of identifying my bug's sexuality....it was female...darn it!

But...considering that it was trying to feed when i caught her...is there someway i can assume that she had not recently laid eggs? She needed to feed in order to lay her next batch of eggs, right? Does she feed at any other time? or only when she's wanting to lay eggs?

i have not seen any further evidence of bbs since sunday morning.....but i remember, before, that days would go by before getting new bites...so i don't know. i can't figure out whether i need to have another treatment or not. I suppose i'll just wait until Monday to tell landlord whether i want another treatment. I reaaaaly would like to avoid those chemicals (which seemed to make me itch and feel sort of psychotic, i think) if i can.

(sigh)

42. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 17:28:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry Deeds. my chanting didn't work, but since i've had my fingers crossed for you, she didn't lay any eggs. I hope not! dang bb.

i don't even want to ask you this, but do u think it's at all possible that this bb is leftover from the first treatment? i hope not, but so paranoid cuz i hear they're so good at hiding.

anyway, whatever it is, i hope it was that one random bb and that she is infertile and didn't have any money to do invitro.

43. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 19:50:34
    #

Login to Send PM

in vitro....Ha! I certainly hope not!!

but i don't think that it was a bb left over from 4+ months ago. I definitely think it was from downstairs where the people had seen bbs after installation of new carpet. And, i confirmed that it was actually on last Thursday afternoon that they were treated...so it seems sort of logical that they scattered.

I'm holding my breath and keeping my eyes open. Even in the middle of the night, when i would normally pad to the bathroom and not turn on the lights...i now turn those bright lights on (momentarily blinding myself) so i can see if anything is moving around in there or trying to get me. Ugh!

44. BedBugPanic

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 20:17:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Deedle, if you are unsure, is there any way to bring in a dog (yes, I know, it's not 100% and I know that the topic has brought on many arguable points from both sides of the coin) should that help bring some peace of mind?

If not, then I have my fingers crossed for you that she was not fertile... Hmm I wonder, is there any way of verifying if she was fertile or not even if she had not laid eggs as of yet?

I have my fingers, toes, everything crossed for you... Keep us posted!

45. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 1 2010 7:09:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes..i could bring in a dog.....

but how can i be sure that the dog that just came from a definitely infested place is not bringing bbs into mine???

46. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 1 2010 8:33:32
    #

Login to Send PM

scrappy01 - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Well, you know what they say, where's there's 1... and that little bitch could have laid another 300 little bastards overnight. I wonder why on earth would mother nature select theses bugs to survive?
    I eradicated all of them with a Propoxur blitz and haven;'t seen one in ages.
    P.S. leave your shotgun out of the bathroom, it won't help. Say no green steam non toxic, it doesn't work.

Steam doesn't work?

Dude lay off the Propoxur fumes. Many of us have eradicated bugs without it. Propoxur cannot be applied to furniture anyhow.

Jim

47. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 1 2010 10:34:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, that bb was soooo looking for a ride abroad to go adopt a child. (I mean, look how late in her career she waited to get her fertility meal in your bathroom!)

Like, DUH, all the good bbs had already been taken back in May; she missed the scene. Girlfriend was SO barking up the wrong tree.

48. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 1 2010 11:01:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Deeds,
    i don't think she had time to lay eggs in your apt. that's my story and i'm sticking to it!

btw, keep forgetting to say this, but your topic is awesome. i would have had ALL CAPS SCREAMING SAVE ME!!!!!

lol

49. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 1 2010 11:43:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Reluctant! Hi Sleepless..

I also think that she came from a neighboring apartment looking for some food so she could either grow or get preggers...i agree with you Sleepless...she had not had a chance to lay eggs in my apartment as she was only just feeding on me!

Nothing new today...everything quiet...no generalized itchiness..no new skin reactions. everyone comfortably sleeping through the night here so far. The only thing i still find myself doing is turning the light on at night when i go to the bathroom...and during the day, i'm examining the bathroom carefully..especially the towels.

about the subject line....Sometimes you know when you want to scream but only a little squeaky voice comes out? It was a bit of that combined with the fact that i really was not freakin' out and thankfully i have not freaked out yet. Perhaps there is some type of acclimation involved in dealing with bbs.. i don't know..but i do know that having my PackTite really gave me some peace of mind. (actually, i meant to PackTite the things in the hamper...think i'll do that now so i can take them to laundry later this evening). i don't want to take anything that even might have a bb (or flea for that matter) to the laundromat.

I suppose i can live like this for the rest of my life...but i'll need another PackTite and maybe a third back up one for emergencies...

50. BedBugPanic

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 6 2010 22:09:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump for an update! Hoping it was just a straggler and no other new signs.

51. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 2:09:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BBPanic.

So it's been about 10 days since i saw that bb in the bathroom. You know that LouBuggs identified it as a female.

I have had other little bites that i believe are fleas i brought home from the visit with my friends who have 5 doggies. Those bites look just like flea bites...not like bb skin reactions...and they are actually more itchy than the bb reactions. Anyway...i've been vacuuming like a maniac, leaving white plastic container of soapy water underneath night light in bedroom - caught a couple of flea looking things...as well as some other strange looking bug i have no idea what it is yet.

i think i may not have mentioned that the neighbors under me had carpeting delivered and after they found bbs, they were treated by the guy the landlord uses (thank goodness) just 3 days before i saw the bb in the bathroom.

i think i'm going to get a fairly inexpensive microscope that attaches to the computer. Would love to put up pictures of all the various insects that are freeloading at my place. (also, my quilt designs ae based on histological sections that i've been carrying around in my head for years).

Actually, tonight i'm up late because i felt awfully itchy -- that generalized itch -- so i got up and took a good hot shower with loofah, put alcholol (actually, Bay Rum) on the itchy flea places and had husband put a nice heavy body cream (eucerin, i think it's called) all over me. I think my skin was really dried out. i'm feeling more comfy now and think i can grab a few more hours of sleep before the sun comes up.

Thanks for asking about my situation.

i'm so happy to report there have been no more bb sightings or bites. Now i just hope i can easily rid by place of the fleas...

52. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 6:59:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Deeds,
    Glad to hear you haven't had any new sightings! Fingers always crossed.

53. BedBugPanic

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 0:32:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update Deedle, and I am so glad to hear that there have been no new BB signs *knocks on wood, crosses fingers and toes and does all the other ritualistic things so as not to jinx it* I believe you did mention that your neighbours were having their carpet changed when they found a few BBs and that they were treated. So maybe a wayward bug escaping the spray but met its death anyway by you. I'm still going to send good vibes your way so that things stay good for you

Good luck with the fleas, and I am sure you will be rid of them soon enough!

By the way, I know what you mean by dry skin being ucky and itchy... my upper arms are starting to drive me nuts right now... and I have noticed that dry skin for me, can sometimes bring on little bumps... Glad the shower and lotion relieved some of that for you.

Sleep well tonight, even if it's for a short rest!

54. kannon_bosatsu

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 0:38:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle, I have my fingers crossed for you on the no bites and no BBs!

55. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 1:43:13
    #

Login to Send PM

More positive thinking and good vibes...

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19