Two weeks, no bites, next steps?

(4 posts)
  1. bugsymalone

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 17:07:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello! New poster here. I've had an unfortunate amount of experience with bed bugs throughout the last ten years, but I feel I could benefit from some other opinions.

After being free of them for a good six years, I started developing bites several weeks ago. I knew what they were right away. I know actually seeing the bugs themselves is important, but I KNOW how I react to the bites. I am HIGHLY allergic to them. (I have actually found and positively identified one bed bug since then.)

It has been a little over two weeks since I began treatment for them. I haven't had any reactions/bites since then. I know this doesn't mean they are all gone, but I'm starting to feel a little (tiny bit) hopeful. (Because as you all know, bed bugs can make a person feel pretty hopeless!) I'd like to share the details of my treatment, in hopes that folks could make suggestions as to what I should do next or what could be any potential holes in this treatment plan.

Just to get this out of the way: I would have REALLY preferred to go with professional treatment. Really. My family simply cannot afford anything like that right now. I know it's MUCH better to go with a well-vetted pro, but it's literally not an option. I wish it was.

So, here is what I did: (And, yes, I am pretty exhausted by the amount of work this has taken.)

I decided to use a multi-pronged approach. Three different chemicals, mattress encasement, bed isolation and treating potentially infested items with either heat (clothing dryer, reaching proper temperatures) or enclosement with Nuvan Prostrips for 7 days (to kill bugs and eggs).( I realize now that it may have been better to leave potentially infested items where they were so that they would have to walk across poison to get to me, but I figured that putting them through heat or exposure to Nuvan Prostrips would serve the same purpose.)

The chemicals/materials that I used are as follows:
    1. Harris Bed Bug Killer - contact spray (Applied to crevices and cracks, edges of furniture and baseboards, etc, as directed)
    2. Harris Egg Kill Bed Bug Killer - residual spray (Applied to crevices and cracks, edges and undersides of furniture and baseboards, etc, as directed)
    3. Diatomaceous Earth (amorphous) - along baseboards, where bed frame meets carpet (We don't have a four-legged bed, it's more like a large rectangle that touches the carpet all around, so I put the DE around the inside and outside edges where it touches the carpet), inside cracks and crevices, outlets)

I treated three rooms - two bedrooms and the living room. I highly doubt that other rooms would be infested, but I'd be ready to change my mind on that. My reasoning is this: there is only a consistent food source in my bedroom. The other bedroom has occasionally (once every two or three weeks) had someone else sleep in it. (They might be the source of the bugs, but there's no telling.) I would assume that the bugs would travel to my room if that person was only occupying the other bedroom every few weeks. Although I know they don't need to eat often. I treated the living room because it is right next to our bedroom and we occupy it frequently. I used to bring blankets and pillows from my bed to the couch to relax. So, I couldn't skip the living room.

So, it's been about 14 days. The items treated with Nuvan Prostrips are still in the 3 ml thick contractor bags or airtight/watertight plastic gasket boxes that I treated them in. I don't want to bother opening them until we're sure the bugs are gone, since they aren't items we need to use any time soon.

I haven't had any reactions/bites, but there's still no telling if they are gone. I was wanting to do another round of treatment this week. (Shop-vac-ing up the D-Earth, Re-applying the three chemicals/materials as directed by Harris Bed Bug Kit and watching and waiting again.) Part of me says it's not necessary and could drive any bugs deeper into hiding or to other parts of the house, but the other part of me says I should definitely treat again, even more extensively.

I may be able to scrounge up the money for a bed bug dog to come and inspect my efforts, but I've heard that some companies won't bring a dog or even work for you if you have self-treated.

I'm seeking opinions, please! Thank you in advance!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that, as my first step, I thoroughly vacuumed every crevice, corner, crack and surface of every room and piece of furniture that was treated. I did not, however steam.

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 17:35:28
    #

Login to Send PM

If you haven't see any live ones in 14 days, you may have solved the problem. Monitor the next two weeks and if no live insects can be located, you've hit the magic 30 day mark.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. bugsymalone

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 17:46:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I also forgot to mention that, after thorough inspection, I haven't seen any signs of bed bugs other than the one that I caught. No feces or skin castings.

4. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 19:47:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Use Cimexa instead of the DE for better results. Just vacuum it up before you use other sprays then reapply.

The residual pesticide that you're using is just a pyrethroid, I think, so it's not one of the most effective anymore (the bugs get resistant over time). More effective ones might be Transport GHP or Crossfire, they combine a pyrethroid with a different pesticide, for a more effective combination than either separately. Or there's the natural Proof or Cirkil, but those are supposed to have a really strong smell that sticks around-- but natural.

Good luck

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,662 posts in 50,011 topics over 154 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me