Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

two treatments, but still got bites. please help!

(12 posts)
  1. pampas

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Jun 7 2019 13:35:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!

I've posted my story here https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bed-bug-story-from-romania

After being bite-free for 10 days in a row, I woke up today with a nice bite on my shoulder. One bite only, no pattern.

Here in Romania they do treatments with Bayer K-Othrine 250 (all of PCOs). Not sure if this is still effective against bb, but I have a feeling it is useless, once I read that bb from USA are resistant to it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deltamethrin#Bed_bugs

Most alarming is that pest control companies do not know about heat treatments or steamers. They have no clue about it. It's not the fact that they do not offer such treatments. They are not aware of such treatments. All they do is spread the insecticide and leave. There's no inspection. If you say you have bb, they come, spread it, leave. Warranty? 30 days if the conditions in the house are "acceptable" (no clutter or large infestation).

This is happening because here, we really do not have bed bugs. We have all kinds of roaches and other pests, but bb are very uncommon.

For these reasons, I've decided to take measures on my own. I live in a building where there's a big infestation at the second floor (I live at the first floor).
    I have a three room apartment, with bathroom, toilet and kitchen. I have no carpets, but the parquetry is old (over 60 years) and full of cracks. It was well maintained every 10-15 years, though. If you look at it now, it looks new and hardly used, but the cracks are there.

I have a few questions, so please, maybe someone can answer them. Thank you very much!

1. Are bed bugs traps effective on measuring the size of the infestation (and also getting rid of some bb in the process)? I am talking about dry active yeast traps like this one:

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Videos

If Yes, how should I use them the right way (where to place, for how many days).

2. What interceptors are the most effective? I have the round ones, placed under each leg of the sofa and bed I am currently using.

3. Is K-Othrine 250 useless in dealing with bed bugs?

4. Since I decided to buy all my stuff from outside Romania, I am now looking at these products: Cimexa, to replace DE, and Crossfire. Questions is: since Crossfire is not shipped to Romania, is there any other product with the same ingredients that I can find on amazon UK or Germany?
    Or some insecticide in the UK which really works?

Any other tips will be highly appreciated! Thank you very much!

2. pampas

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Jun 7 2019 13:43:56
    #

Login to Send PM

it looks like my post is gone, after trying to edit it to correctly show the video link

3. pampas

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Jun 10 2019 3:56:59
    #

Login to Send PM

As for the bed bugs traps, question is already answered, I caught one last night with the CO2 trap. There can be one more, I will post on a separate thread for ID.

Given that only one of the bowls had bed bugs, I assume they came from the East wall, where there's some furniture where I keep a lot of legal documents. Can I use a pattern in this case, or in reality they walk randomly and could come from anywhere?

4. pampas

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Jun 10 2019 10:47:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I've made a breakdown of bites, in order to see a pattern of life-cycles of bed bugs.

What is red-orange is 3-6 bites per night, yellow is only one bite, grey is "not sure" (could be anything), green is, of course, what we all hope for - no bites at all.

Dashed lines are dates of treatments. I first created the sheet after the first treatment, so is ok to assume the two weeks prior to the treatment were red all over.

Any thoughts?
    https://imgur.com/a/jSYibw7

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Jun 10 2019 12:59:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

1 Yes CO2 can be effective but I have found a lot of variation in the self made traps but less so with the commercial version the Bed Bug Beacon, its a lot to do with the pitfall design and the grade of yeast used.

2 I personal don't think they are effective and stopped using them in 2008.

3 Resistance has as much to do with how many others are using the same product so if its the go to treatment locally its likely to have an issue.

4 I would strongly advise you to stick to what is legal in your country when it comes to products. Shipping things in if they are not approved can result in massive fines and its not work the risk.

Personally the issue needs to be focused on how to resolve your neighbors issue as without that being sorted yours will never get under control.

You could keep things at bay in your place using a modified TbyPMR protocol but it will only keep things from developing at your end but will not stop them getting into your property.

Hope that makes sense and gets you on the correct path.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. pampas

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Jun 10 2019 14:06:15
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 50 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    1 Yes CO2 can be effective but I have found a lot of variation in the self made traps but less so with the commercial version the Bed Bug Beacon, its a lot to do with the pitfall design and the grade of yeast used.
    2 I personal don't think they are effective and stopped using them in 2008.
    3 Resistance has as much to do with how many others are using the same product so if its the go to treatment locally its likely to have an issue.
    4 I would strongly advise you to stick to what is legal in your country when it comes to products. Shipping things in if they are not approved can result in massive fines and its not work the risk.
    Personally the issue needs to be focused on how to resolve your neighbors issue as without that being sorted yours will never get under control.
    You could keep things at bay in your place using a modified TbyPMR protocol but it will only keep things from developing at your end but will not stop them getting into your property.
    Hope that makes sense and gets you on the correct path.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Thank you so much, David, for the input.

4. Crossfire seems to be banned commercially in the EU because it affects bees. I will ask DHL is they can ship it non-commercially. Two bottles of Crossfire will surely not affect any bee population, as I don't recall having bees in my home. My friend in the USA will also ask there. It looks like Crossfire cannot be shipped to New York State and Canada, perhaps for the same reasons.

However, I can buy whatever is listed on Amazon UK, since Romania is part of the EU. This is why I was asking about the best insecticide for bed bugs available in the UK (except for K-Othrine (deltametrine) range of products, which don't work very well.

Is Temprid as good as Crossfire? I can buy Temprid from Amazon.com.

My neighbours situation is much too complicated, apart from the massive infestation. We are considering a lawsuit. The treatments which will be done (see above how this works in Romania) will surely not be enough.

I am very interested to know what is this "TbyPMR protocol" and where I can read more about it.

Thank you very much!

7. pampas

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Jun 10 2019 14:12:42
    #

Login to Send PM

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Jun 10 2019 14:38:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Crossfire and Temprid are not legal in the EU and given that we dont use them they are also not necessary for dealing with bedbugs.

The reality is that in your situation while the source remains active chemical control has such a low efficiency that you will experience toxicity long before you get the result you are looking for. The faster method is as outlined above resolving neighbors issue and TbyPMR.

Yes this will mean engaging in a positve and shared goal approach rather than fighting and resulting in law suits. I often find that if both parties spent a 10th of the time they fought actually working on the issue it would have been resolved long before anyone get a bill from the lawyers.

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Please appreciate that this is your first time of being in this situation. I encounter an out of control infestation affecting all adjoining neighbors several times a year and my aim is to resolve the issue for my client by also resolving their source. It took me a while to get there but that's actually the fastest solution for all.

David

9. pampas

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jun 11 2019 10:10:57
    #

Login to Send PM

David, this is a wise advice and I'm sure it's the best way. But sometimes, what is really doable is different in many ways. The reality in my situation is that you simply cannot make these people understand what's going on. A severe mental disorder is hard to manage, but a combination of mental disorder with big infestation cannot be handled as we wish it could.

I have now inside info from the caretakers of this family. They said the infestation is not as big after the first treatments, but there are still bed bugs crawling on the walls or on the sofas. Today, they refused a second treatment.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jun 11 2019 16:28:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes, in the past some cases have taken a few months to navigate the social care needs of those involved and on more than one occasion treatment has needed to coincide with the persons off site time. Especially in a prolonged case the impact on people health should never be underestimated.

I really do understand, I have seen this before and with all due respect you path takes a lot longer than working with them on this with the understanding that helping them is actually helping you. The sooner you come to that place the sooner you start to resolve your problem, otherwise you can look forward to cycle after cycle of treatment regardless of what approach you attempt.

Yes its a tough situation but that is exactly why you need to understand how your reaction can make the matter worse and thus tread careful. Chess is not won through Brut strength.

David

11. pampas

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Jun 12 2019 4:25:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I was looking for Passive BedBug Monitors on amazon UK and found only one product, not sure if it's the best one. Yes, it is produced by Bed Bugs Limited, not sure if it's the newer one. I'm totally confused.

Since all bugs that I've found are small ones, how effective can it be in my case? Being so small, they do not need to defecate while they enter and harbour. They can leave feces after, around the area, given the fact they will have a chance to eat. Isn't the yeast+sugar trap more effective for all stages? I have no idea, I am just asking.

How many do I need to monitor the situation? This monitor might include live bugs at some point, right?

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jun 13 2019 12:12:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As you can see from my sign off on the first reply I run Bed Bugs Limited which is the site you read the TbyPMR on.

They work with all life stages of bedbugs although adults faeces is obviously easier to see.

To complete each cycle of TbyPMR you will need 2 monitors per occupied bed and possibly ones for the seats int he lounge. The first you install post cleaning cycle 1 and the additional ones are kept in reserve for cleaning cycle 2 if needed.

The protocol should be quite clear on this, if you are having issues following it, print a copy off and its spaced such that Google Translate will translate it live for you. Its often easier to read in your native language.

david

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,799 posts in 50,040 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen