(7 posts)
  1. dan_sut

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 2 2012 20:44:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

hope all is well and that you're all on your way to bed bug-free homes! First and foremost I want to thank all the good people that work with and respond to people on this board. You guys are all awesome!

I have two questions, and sorry if they are a little long winded, just wanna get some details in:

1. I had bed bugs. They were seemingly eradicated as of the end of August 2012. Every so often, I have an old bite flare up, which apparently can happen. About three weeks ago, I noticed unusual bumps appearing on my forehead. I say unusual because the bumps were unlike anything I had ever seen on my body before, and nothing like anything I had encountered with the bed bugs. Some were clear, skin coloured bumps, while others were redish. There are about 10-15 bumps on my forehead all told, and theyve been there now for about three weeks. Some have disappeared, while others have remained. And I've noticed some new ones here and there. All told, the redish ones look a lot like acne, and the others look a lot like keratosis pilaris, especially cause I have similar looking bumps around my elbows. They are not especially itchy, and I only touch them at all because I'm nervously fiddling with them subconsciously. Its possible that I've always had these bumps in the change of season between summer to fall to winter and never noticed them because I haven't had reason to, but I'm worried that they are new bug bites. Also, one of my recent "flare ups," occurring about a week ago (I've really only had three or four flareups since August) really looked like a new bite, very similar to some of the bites I used to get (though only one, and none since). What do you think?

2. I have some friends moving into my 10 floor apartment building. They asked me if there were any apartments available and I told them I'd check with the landlord. At that time I had been seemingly bug free for almost 2 months, and I didn't tell any of my friends of my experience because I felt socially it would stigmatize me, and I never mentioned it to these guys specifically because I thought I had maybe brought them in myself and that I was an isolated case. Anywho, the landlord told me there was a place available, and they decided to take a look, applied, and got the place. Recently, I was in the elevator with another gentleman who, when I hit my floor number on the elevator, asked me bluntly if I had a pest problem. He told me that he was on X floor, the same floor my friends are moving into and that he has a bed bug problem, and only mentioned it to me because he had spoken to someone else on MY floor and they had told him that they were having a problem too. I immediately called my super to check what was going on. He's always been very helpful and immediately sprayed my place when I had issues. He said the situation has been isolated in that specific apartment, that he's checked with others on the floor and they have reported nothing, and that he would never let anyone move into a place that had problems. As a note, he also LIVES in the building, so I would think he has no reason to lie about this as any building bed bug problems could come back to him. My quandary is whether or not to tell my friends about what I had heard? Or should I just trust that the landlord is telling the truth, again as he has no reason not to do and he's been very active in helping me out before. He's a good landlord. If there is any time to spray the apartment it would be before they move in, I would think. I also don't really want to tell them about my problems, as it would reflect bad on me for suggesting they take the apartment in my building in the first place. UGH!

What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks AGAIN so so so much!

Dan.

2. dan_sut

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 2 2012 20:48:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, for question 2, I don't want to tell them because I don't want to scare them unnecessarily. We all know how much bed bugs scare people, just the thought that they are on the floor is not a good thing.

Thanks again!

Dan.

3. dan_sut

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 2 2012 20:56:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Addition to question 1: No evidence at all of anything. No bugs, fecal, or skins. I thought maybe there was some fecal matter, but David (aka bed-bugscouk) confirmed that it was not.

Dan.

4. mindoverbbs

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 2 2012 23:58:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand this is a tough dilemma, but I think you should tell your friends and let them decide for themselves whether they want to assume the risk. Just my 2 cents.

5. dan_sut

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2012 10:28:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply mindover, yeah I kinda am tending to agree... I just don't want to scare them if there's no reason to. They've already signed the lease, so I dunno if they can avoid "assuming the risk" so much as they can make sure its sprayed before they enter. I'm thinking that might be the best way.

6. dan_sut

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 4 2012 19:37:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Gonna bump this... Hopin to get some thoughts!

Dan.

7. bedbugsuptown

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 0:06:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm with mindoverbbs. They're your friends right? Tell 'em. I don't mean to aim this at you dan_sut but I have a problem with the fact that so many seemingly "sane, normal" types are so damn ashamed to share what they are experiencing with their friends, families neighbors.

There have been discussions here at bedbugger.com about disclosure in the work place. Many buggers felt they could not (would not) disclose at work fearing they could be fired--understandable. Still, the very core of this issue just pisses me off. Just had to vent this, no apology. But all the best, hope you and your friends fare well; from what you posted there seems to be some buggy action in your building. All the best__________

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,305 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto