Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

was: TWO new bed bug monitors on the way/ now: "no bugs on me" monitor

(42 posts)
  1. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Oct 31 2008 20:37:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Are there any updates on the release dates of these? I know that the Nightwatch was supposed to arrive at the bed bug shop on Nov.17.

BioSensory website who makes Night Watch is now saying late Dec. http://www.biosensory.com/nightwatch.html

Does anyone know of any current info of when we might can get one, either the Nightwatch or the CDC3000.

2. death2allbbs

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Oct 31 2008 23:50:52
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbad - 1 week ago  » 
    Capitalism and innovation at their best. These tools will only get better and cheaper over time. And, hopefully in the future we will look back at these times as the "dark days" of the bedbug infestation. A future day where bedbugs are as treatable as roaches allbeit with different tools. A future day where a bedbug infestation doesn't mean months without sleep and thousands of dollars of expense. A day where you don't have to worry about the implications of going to a movie theater.

Bedbugsbad, you're singing my tune.

3. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Nov 2 2008 22:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I have confirmed with the manufacturer. Their release date has been pushed back until closer to Christmas

4. oceansaway

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2008 6:14:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Can anyone guess what I want Santa to bring me this year???
    Oh the squeals. of delight

5. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 5 2008 21:31:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

Some updates:

NightWatch has been delayed (as stated above) until late December. This has likely been a delay in the manufacturing process.

I spoke with the folks at Cimex Science and the CDC 3000 will be available at roughly the same time (perhaps sooner). The initial launch will likely be to PCOs. Some PCOs "might" sell to the general public, but not likely for the initial launch.

Cimex Science has confirmed that the units will be approved for use in both Canada and the USA at initial launch.

Sincerely,

Sean
    Entomologist/Pest Professional

6. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 6 2008 15:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Sean, I really appreciate the way you keep us updated on new products, their status, etc. It is so great to have your advice and updates on the board. thanks!

7. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 6 2008 22:13:53
    #

Login to Send PM

You are more than welcome

Sean.

8. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 6 2008 22:40:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, thank you Sean.

9. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 14:46:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I was reading Sean's site today and noticed he listed that the Bed Bug Shop is taking preorders on the CDC 3000. If you go to thebedbugresource.com you can find the link for the bed bug resource.

10. The Chief

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 8 2012 22:26:57
    #

Login to Send PM

First Time Post: I see that the folks here talk about bed bugs traps. Sure is a lot of hype out there. When I started researching these critters 4 years ago there were very few so called traps. Now I am in a sea of good & bad, cheap and costly traps or (monitors). I have just now decided the time is right to release my product. I have created this simply trap for hotels but it will work in a home bedroom. I have caught many BB's and I hope after some people try this trap they will tell everyone how great it works.

I am the Director of Engineering at a large, major hotel that is part of a worldwide chain of hotels. It wouldn’t be right to list their name, but they have been around since the 1950’s. I have been researching the bed bug issue for 4 years and since I work in the hospitality industry I have been able to see firsthand how irritating this epidemic is to both hotel guests and management. I won’t say that my hotel is immune to bed bugs because every hotel has them, but I have my staff being very pro active to find and get rid of these pests before they come in contact with our guests. After lots of research and testing I have come up with a formula and product that once put into a guest room will draw out bed bugs if they are there. Just place one or two of these bed bug traps in a guest room. Set them up according to the instructions and you should have results 10 – 12 hours later. Sure you can find other so called traps out there, but mine has been tested in homeless shelters, and hotel rooms. Did you know that a bed bug dog sniffs out bugs to the tune of approx $250 per hotel room. My product is a lot cheaper and more convenient.

Read more at my website: nobugsonme.com Sorry blog host no offense on the name

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 8 2012 23:45:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi The Chief,

First of all, your link was deleted. People can copy and paste the address to get to your site if they want.

Please read this warning and the Terms and Conditions of Site Use and understand the rules here. You aren't allowed to post messages promoting your product, like the one above.

I am making an exception in this case because people may want to discuss your product with you.

The four other identical posts were removed. Please do not repost messages here, and please in future start a new thread if you have a new topic. Don't revive old threads about other monitors, for example (this one is three and a half years old).

If you don't know how to start a new thread, please see FAQS About the Forums in the Green Sticky posts at the top of the main forums page.

Finally, I would ask if you have independent testing data from an entomologist which shows your product works? I see you're making some serious claims, saying it "Works better than anything on the market today! and OVERNITE".

I hope that's true but unfortunately, there are many products on the market which don't do exactly as they claim. Consumers should be wary.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. NeverSurrender

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Mar 9 2012 0:24:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme

I had a feeling you were going to remove some of those posts. However, I would be interested to read what some of the PCOs on the forum think.

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Mar 9 2012 6:18:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Putting on my "marketing" hat, I think you can do better than "No bugs on me" for a brand name for this trap and your site. It's intended for determining if there ARE bugs on a SLEEPING AREA (not on a person). Also, there's a commercial flea product (Advantix) sold with the jingle "There ain't no bugs on me". Unlike our host, who uses the handle for "personal" identification, you're up against the Bayer company and their intellectual property lawyers.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Mar 9 2012 6:57:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Its on order and I will tank trial it when it arrives and will publish the results online.

I wont comment on the marketing as its the product that counts at the end of the day. I will however say that the shipping alone was over $120 which did not make it an affordable option.

Looks like it will be a busy few weeks in the testing department.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  15. The Chief

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Mar 11 2012 21:37:01
    #

Login to Send PM

OK folks, sorry about misunderstanding the rules here. I am not a blogger. I am simply trying to give the pubic a way to find BB. I am not a large company that has lots of marketing dollars to throw at this project. I researched it, and tested it in hotel rooms and homeless shelters, and it caught bed bugs. Even if a trap catched 1 BB then it is a success and that shows they are in the room, but we caught more. I am sorry about the claim, but I ordered a number of other monitors or traps and tested them and found that mine did much, much better. That is simply that. However I agree and we won't use that claim.
    A note to David Cain the shipping cost you had to pay was the cheapest UPS cost they had. We did not get one penny of the $116.62. It all went to UPS. I hope you get positive results
    The Chief

16. NeverSurrender

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 12 2012 1:56:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm looking forward to David's testing results.

17. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 12 2012 6:17:27
    #

Login to Send PM

The Chief - 3 days ago  »  Did you know that a bed bug dog sniffs out bugs to the tune of approx $250 per hotel room. My product is a lot cheaper and more convenient.

Chief
    The commercial rate for K9 inspections in a hotel setting generally runs from $150 - $500 an hour depending on the market ... These hourly rates usually break down to about $10 to $25 per room for the K9 sweep with a manual search for visual confirmation in any identified rooms.

I suspect that you may be confusing the hourly rate with the cost per unit... A service call for a private residence is usually billed for a one hour minimum to cover the cost of travel.

I will gladly pay you a generous commission and move to your area... if you can book inspections for us at $250 a room

I believe that a holistic mix of staff education, monitoring and K9 inspections will provide a hotel with the most effective surveillance program that is currently available on the market.

I will be interested to see the results of David's evaluation.

18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Mar 16 2012 14:22:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:

Its arrived and yes its dry ice powered so I need to source some of that next. Luckily I work in one of the few places in the UK where dry ice is available although everytime I think about using it I am reminded of the world of a very bright entomologist from Canada who I once heard say "why are we still messing around with dry ice, its not safe for consumers".

I will test the unit next week in the contained arena to see if its effective, I suspect it will only work on hungry bedbugs as they are most likley to be lured by CO2.

There are however a few very wild claims in the information sheets.

David

19. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Mar 16 2012 14:57:53
    #

Login to Send PM

The "No Bugs On Me" trap requires dry ice? Was that disclosed at or before purchase?

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 19 2012 6:28:36
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 2 days ago  » 
    The "No Bugs On Me" trap requires dry ice? Was that disclosed at or before purchase?

No. The only reference to dry ice is in one of the images it shows the styrofoam box as being called the dry ice containment field (rather star wars I thought) but I only noticed this when looking more closely. Most of the text lambasts CO2 so I was shocked to see it there.

I am sourcing some dry ice today and will test later in the week in the open gas exchanging arena we have for testing Active monitors.

David

21. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 19 2012 14:04:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The experiment is now running and we released 30+ bedbugs into the test arena about 4pm GMT today. We will score the results tomorrow morning.

David

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 19 2012 22:36:20
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 16 hours ago  » 

cilecto - 2 days ago  » 

No. The only reference to dry ice is in one of the images it shows the styrofoam box as being called the dry ice containment field (rather star wars I thought) but I only noticed this when looking more closely.

Humbug.

If I wanted to deal with dry ice, I could construct a Rutgers dry ice monitor for free (plus cost of dry ice).

Getting and paying for dry ice is an issue for most people, letting alone handling it.

Thanks for testing this, David!

23. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 20 2012 5:59:09
    #

Login to Send PM

And the results are in.

Overnight capture rate on a mixed population of bedbugs was 5 out of 45 or 11%. Although not the worst device we have tested the results are too low in comparison to the costs and hassle and its unlikely that we will develop the method further.

When I have time I will write it up for review on the website as I think the cost modeling data will be a useful exercise.

David

24. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 20 2012 8:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

How would the capture rate compare against a non-baited control? Can you confidently say that the bugs in the trap are not there due to randomly walking into it?

25. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 20 2012 8:17:38
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 3 minutes ago  » 
    How would the capture rate compare against a non-baited control? Can you confidently say that the bugs in the trap are not there due to randomly walking into it?

I don't think it was random as there is a pattern tot he ones that were caught indicating some directionality, however unlike Mastercard:

Cost of kit $30
    Cost of shipping $120
    Cost of dry ice $60

Cost per caught bedbug $42

David

26. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 20 2012 8:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

...creative, passionate bed bug expert; priceless.

27. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 20 2012 14:38:33
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    Is the dry ice containment field designed to prevent children and pets from gaining access to the dry ice bait?

28. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 20 2012 14:56:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I would think that anything that used dry ice would be primarily for professional/institutional use. Kid and pet access should then not be an issue (though curious co-worker might).

Products that require dry ice should only be marketed to people who have the wherewithal to locate the dry ice, deal with wholesalers and transport the ice for as many days/times as needed.

29. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 20 2012 15:03:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Dry ice should only be used when no other options are viable in field settings I am yet to encounter such circumstances.

Fear not Doug we are now dissecting and checking each component for efficiency.

David

30. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 20 2012 17:35:48
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 11 hours ago  » 
    And the results are in.
    Overnight capture rate on a mixed population of bedbugs was 5 out of 45 or 11%. Although not the worst device we have tested the results are too low in comparison to the costs and hassle and its unlikely that we will develop the method further.

Thanks for testing this product, David.

31. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 20 2012 18:33:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm, just caught up with this one.

Sounds like a "wait & see" type thing to me.

Thanks for doing the work DC !

pb

32. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Mar 28 2012 9:12:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:

We tested the lure by applying a quantity of it to a Passive monitor and giving a tank trial choice between the Passive with the lure and the one without.

If the lure worked we would expect all the bedbugs to be in the spiked Passive. However there were non found in it and all the bedbugs went for the un-baited Passive.

Therefore its safe to conclude that in this test the lure had no effect on the bedbugs.

What does alarm me though is the spare bottle of lure which is still sealed on my desk has not got some kind of bacterial or fungal culture growing in it which would indicate that there is some sort of sugar in there and that it was not produced under sterile conditions.

I am running some more tests but this one will appear in the hall of shame in due course.

Its a massive fail.

David

33. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Mar 28 2012 18:48:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I really do not understand why we are resorting to dry ice type monitors. They are unprofessional, unsafe, and not practical from a re-usability standpoint for most consumers.

There are better options out there.

Sean

34. JWhiteBBCTV

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 29 2012 7:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Sean I completely agree with you that dry ice is littered with issues when it comes to field usage. We only use it in instances where there is no risk of contact by clients (vacant hotel rooms, etc...) and even that is a last resort because dry ice is a pain to get, transport, etc...

That being said, what other options are out there for active bed bug monitors? If you don't have stock on hand, the Nightwatch is caught up right now with some labeling issues and no one knows when we'll see more being produced. The Verifi is now mid-April but the first shipment I think is sold out and while there's many of us involved in early testing know it shows promise but I won't say anything definitive until it gets into the hands of the industry. I don't even know where the CDC3000 went to. I know it momentarily appeared under a different name and then disappeared again. Even it is still around, the price point made it cumbersome.

Am I missing any truly effective active monitors where CO2 is the primary component? I'm all ears if I am because I've had some awkward moments during speaking engagements for the last month or so. I speak highly about some of the uses of active monitors and their placement and proper use but when people ask where they can purchase them I have nothing to say. "These things are great but it doesn't matter because you can't buy them."

35. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 29 2012 8:03:50
    #

Login to Send PM

JWhiteBBCTV - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Am I missing any truly effective active monitors where CO2 is the primary component?

Yes, its called the bedbug beacon.

I find it not only to be highly effective but probably the most efficient tool int he active class that is on the market. In fact we have been doing some more extreme trialing and hope to get a communication out about it in a few weeks. I am yet to have a bad experience with it.

David

36. JWhiteBBCTV

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 29 2012 10:46:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Others?

I'll let somebody else with data and information on the Beacon battle you on that. I'm not getting involved because that conversation is only going to go one direction. Needless to say I don't agree based on data and comparison studies.

37. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 29 2012 11:22:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Well maybe London is plagued with little fairies that come into my void and commercial properties and leave me bedbugs in the pitfall as presents.

If you are referring to the same comparison studies I saw it may have helped if the study director actually followed the manufacturers instructions and used the products as they were designed rather than just making up a protocol. A protocol which just happened .... wait for it ... fanfare please ladies and gentleman showed that the best product was the one that just happened to have his name on the patent?

I seem to recall that was also on the same day where someone else on this forum nominated it best in class of active monitors they tested.

I think I would put more faith in the fairies than some researchers as least they have shown themselves to be both efficient and efficacious.

David

38. JWhiteBBCTV

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 29 2012 13:11:15
    #

Login to Send PM

if anyone has any information on other CO2 monitors available on the market, you know the e-mail address

39. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 29 2012 18:16:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree we are amidst a time of uncertainty with CO2 based monitors. There is no question whatsoever that the most effect monitors on the market utilize CO2 as its main attractant.

Night Watch is still available and sold here in Canada with no issues that I know of.

The Bed Bug Beacon is actually not a bad device. It does take 5 days to get enough CO2 built up so it is certainly not as quick as others on the market, but it does attract bed bugs.

CDC 3000 is no more (to the best of my knowledge).

The CDC 3000 company was sold and the new company was developing a better version at a cheaper price (comparable to Night Watch). Still no news as to when that will hit the market.

Verifi is close (hearing May). The initial results look promising and the price point is good. The down side is that the CO2 pack has to be replaced daily.

There are a couple more in development but they are likely 6-12 months away at best.

Instead of dry ice I have used a CO2 filled paint ball cylinder with a valve and tubing attached. The tube is inserted in to any pitfall style device and works quite well. And it is MUCH safer. Again, not very professional looking ...

I still think that the best would be a Night Watch - CDC 3000 hybrid in terms of design and technology. Of course it would need to be mass produced to get the price down under $200.

Sean

40. djames1921

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 29 2012 18:27:42
    #

Login to Send PM

It is clearly obvious that co2 is the way to go, it has been shown over and over to be the main attractant. We have plenty of studies that show this in published journals and it is common amongst our many blood feeding insects.

Concerning the product I manufacture, The Bed Bug Beacon, I think the main reason for the beacon catching after a few days is two fold. One it does take it some time to create a large enough gradient but it is also the fact that recently fed bed bugs don't care about co2 until you give them a few days to digest their last meal. The problem with devices that only make a few hours worth of co2 or even a days worth is that bed bugs that aren't hungry yet won't care. It is why we designed the Beacon to produce CO2 for at least five days.

41. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Mar 31 2012 16:46:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll go on record and say that I trust and use the Bed Bug Beacon and have found it to be an effective "active monitor". I use it in a wide verity of ways for different monitoring applications & I'm happy with the results.

It does what its designed to do, has a good price point, and is easy to use. I just installed 2 of them in an apartment on Friday and it will help me determine if I have a migration issue from an adjoining apartment with a confirmed problem. I have other monitors in place in different areas and I'll check them in a few days when I return.

Bottom line .... It has worked for me in countless applications and it belongs in the tool box of both pro and home owner to help monitor areas in question.

42. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Apr 2 2012 16:29:38
    #

Login to Send PM

The fairies have been kind to me again and have left 3 bedbugs in my void property monitoring project which makes:

12 after week 1
    4 after week 2
    3 after week 3

Not bad considering it's a non chemical treatment job and had over 20,000 samples on day 1 of the project.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982