Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Two months of HELL and I still don't know what's biting me! PLEASE HELP!

(24 posts)
  1. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 11:34:09
    #

Login to Send PM

LONG STORY SHORT...

I first thought it was bed bugs. I've had TWO exterminators come (including with a bed bug sniffing dog) - no sign of them anywhere. I haven't seen one bug/casing/poo mark/blood mark in two months, so I can rule that out.

The exterminator saw a Carpet Beetle casing, which apparently they have hairs in the larvae stage that can cause "bite" like irritations on your body. I tore my room up and only found a couple larvae skins in my bottom dresser drawer and one little worm guy chewing on a sweater. I haven't seen one since. My roommate found a few in his room, and we both have rooms directly against the backyard so they may have come in from there. I tore my room apart and didn't see ANY other casings or sign of them.

I went to the dermo and they were like "fleas" -- so I cleaned the crap out of my car and set up a flea trap in my room with a bowl of soapy water and a light -- no fleas showed up. I haven't seen a single flea.

Midges (No-see-ums)? I've killed three tiny flying bugs over the past week in my room, they seem too big to be a midge and too small to be a mosquito.

That leaves mites. I don't have scabies because it's super contagious and my girlfriend has not picked it up -- and the dermo said it wasn't scabies. I've laundered everything on hot and sprayed anti mite spray around and on my bed (that currently has a mattress and box spring cover on)

I went to a doctor and they had no idea.

I don't know if it's an allergy (nothing has changed drastically to justify it) or if its bites from things I can't see. I'm going slowly insane and my gf is getting sick of me talking about it, and I don't know how to fix this. They seemingly pop up at random and mostly on my torso and lower legs, but sometimes my arms.

Some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/SkK6D

First is ankle... what dermo said was flea bites. The marks start as pink and then I scratch them (usually subconsciously or in my sleep) and they get a scab in the middle
    Second is torso, irritated after a hot shower

If anyone has any idea I would be so appreciative. I don't know what else I can do.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 16:36:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Diagnosis of flea bites do to the lesions on ankle, but other than than there is no insect evidence. Carpet beetle larvae urticating hairs are only on certain species of carpet beetles. You can have a skin reaction to many things. You have any types of monitoring devices set? Collected from surfaces with a lint roller tape? Vacuum samples? Any rodents in the building? Bird nests on or under AC units? Need more info from you.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 16:54:02
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Diagnosis of flea bites do to the lesions on ankle, but other than than there is no insect evidence. Carpet beetle larvae urticating hairs are only on certain species of carpet beetles. You can have a skin reaction to many things. You have any types of monitoring devices set? Collected from surfaces with a lint roller tape? Vacuum samples? Any rodents in the building? Bird nests on or under AC units? Need more info from you.

Thank you for your response!

I don't have any climb-ups set because my bed frame doesn't have legs. I just purchased one of those flea sticky trap light combo things that I'm going to set at the bed stand at the edge of my bed.

I haven't collected with a lint roller and nothing can be seen to be vaccumed

No rodents. I'm just in a house and we haven't had any rodent sightings at all. Nor bird nests.

More pics - here's two on my upper pecs: https://imgur.com/a/rAFgp they're big and itch a lot more than the rest on my body (I've woken up scratching at them). More seem to pop up randomly throughout the day that I notice, sometimes barely raised little whiteish/yellow spots, sometimes bigger pink ones like this.

4. Traditional_Farmer

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 17:05:43
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 24 minutes ago  » 

Hello, would you mind sharing which species of carpet beetle larvae this applies to? The ones I have are completely black. The larvae are tannish brown and hairs only on the back instead of all around the body. Thank you

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 20:00:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Traditional_Farmer - 2 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 24 minutes ago  » 

Hello, would you mind sharing which species of carpet beetle larvae this applies to? The ones I have are completely black. The larvae are tannish brown and hairs only on the back instead of all around the body. Thank you

Not black carpet beetle (Attagenus spp.) larvae, but Trogoderma and Anthrenus larvae. It's the ones that you see hairy patches at rear area of abdomen. These can look like small brushes.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 20:02:39
    #

Login to Send PM

scaryterry - 3 hours ago  » 

I don't have any climb-ups set because my bed frame doesn't have legs. I just purchased one of those flea sticky trap light combo things that I'm going to set at the bed stand at the edge of my bed.
    No rodents. I'm just in a house and we haven't had any rodent sightings at all. Nor bird nests.
    More pics - here's two on my upper pecs: they're big and itch a lot more than the rest on my body (I've woken up scratching at them). More seem to pop up randomly throughout the day that I notice, sometimes barely raised little whiteish/yellow spots, sometimes bigger pink ones like this.

You don't have to put the climb up style monitors under legs of beds or sofas. That's just to show you direction of movement; that is, down the leg or from floor into the leg. They will work by just capturing bed bugs and other small creatures that crawl in.

7. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 21:20:06
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 

More pics - here's two on my upper pecs: they're big and itch a lot more than the rest on my body (I've woken up scratching at them). More seem to pop up randomly throughout the day that I notice, sometimes barely raised little whiteish/yellow spots, sometimes bigger pink ones like this.

You don't have to put the climb up style monitors under legs of beds or sofas. That's just to show you direction of movement; that is, down the leg or from floor into the leg. They will work by just capturing bed bugs and other small creatures that crawl in.

So would I just put it near the bottom of my bed? Or on my bedstands? Do you recommend a specific brand? I recently lost my job so money is tight

Besides this, can anyone shed light on what these marks may be? They get so itchy sometimes it's almost unbearable.

8. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 23:03:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel like two more itchy pink lumps have shown up on side hip/thigh area my as of an hour or two ago.

When I found the larvae of CBs in my dresser, there was a live worm one and some larvae husks in a drawer with some sweaters -- I threw most of that stuff out. I did see a few larvae husks in my underwear drawer too. This was right before I hot washed and hot dried everything.

Is it possible there are reminants that didn't wash out and through drying they got stuck to my underwear/clothes/sheets/towels that are irritating me still to this day?

9. starseedseven

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 23:16:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Terribly sorry for such a dreadful situation. I am new to this site and trying to gain knowledge myself. I am battling insects too and I found Diatomaceous Earth to be incredible. Read about it and it may help you kill whatever it is. (Can be sprayed on the ground and it cuts their body and they dehydrate- all insects- I've used it for water bugs and roaches) Maybe your girlfriend gets bites but has no reaction? I read somewhere that grape seed oil or olive oil (75%)mixed with a small amount of DE(25%) -will prevent bites from scabies, not sure if it works for other insects. DE is abrasive so go easy with it on the body. I also take a teaspoon of DE mixed with water and drink it and it helps the body cleanse parasites and has loads of incredible benefits. And I am hoping it has some effect on The newly discovered bed bugs that I have. I just wanted to give you some hope.. try to stay calm and know you will get through this and solve your problem. Oh- I am also using cedar oil.. as a repellent.. I mix it with water and spray it everywhere and mix it with oil and put it on my arms and legs etc. good luck

10. starseedseven

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 23:16:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Terribly sorry for such a dreadful situation. I am new to this site and trying to gain knowledge myself. I am battling insects too and I found Diatomaceous Earth to be incredible. Read about it and it may help you kill whatever it is. (Can be sprayed on the ground and it cuts their body and they dehydrate- all insects- I've used it for water bugs and roaches) Maybe your girlfriend gets bites but has no reaction? I read somewhere that grape seed oil or olive oil (75%)mixed with a small amount of DE(25%) -will prevent bites from scabies, not sure if it works for other insects. DE is abrasive so go easy with it on the body. I also take a teaspoon of DE mixed with water and drink it and it helps the body cleanse parasites and has loads of incredible benefits. And I am hoping it has some effect on The newly discovered bed bugs that I have. I just wanted to give you some hope.. try to stay calm and know you will get through this and solve your problem. Oh- I am also using cedar oil.. as a repellent.. I mix it with water and spray it everywhere and mix it with oil and put it on my arms and legs etc. good luck

11. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 23:22:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I just killed this in my bathroom, third or fourth I've killed over the past week. Looks like a GNAT from googling.

https://imgur.com/a/pu9vD

Could Gnats be causing this?! What would I do if that's the case?

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 7:27:05
    #

Login to Send PM

scaryterry - 8 hours ago  » 
    I just killed this in my bathroom, third or fourth I've killed over the past week. Looks like a GNAT from googling.

This looks like a mycetophilid fungus gnat. Non-biting. Do you know if you have a moisture issue? There are skin rashes associated with mold, too. So not just respiratory reaction.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 7:33:10
    #

Login to Send PM

scaryterry - 10 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 

So would I just put it near the bottom of my bed? Or on my bedstands? Do you recommend a specific brand? I recently lost my job so money is tight
    Besides this, can anyone shed light on what these marks may be? They get so itchy sometimes it's almost unbearable.

Yes, exactly, just not under the legs. Just folded up cloth and 1/2" fan-folded paper also can act as potential harborage areas and bed bugs will crawl into them. You can paperclip one side and staple the other.
    Skin lesions could be carpet beetle larval shed skins and possibly, if not the species that have urticating hairs, broken down, powdered, shed skins and dried up larvae. Maybe broken down adult beetles, too.

14. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 13:07:31
    #

Login to Send PM

"Skin lesions could be carpet beetle larval shed skins and possibly, if not the species that have urticating hairs, broken down, powdered, shed skins and dried up larvae. Maybe broken down adult beetles, too."

So what should I do in that case? I washed and dried everything already.

I did not wash and dry my mattress encasement though. Is there a chance that their reminants are on that and are getting me through my sheets AND clothes? None of this makes sense.

15. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 13:08:38
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 5 hours ago  » 

scaryterry - 8 hours ago  » 

This looks like a mycetophilid fungus gnat. Non-biting. Do you know if you have a moisture issue? There are skin rashes associated with mold, too. So not just respiratory reaction.

No moisture issues that I can think of.

16. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 13:14:40
    #

Login to Send PM

https://imgur.com/a/taeRJ

These two on the left are really bad and itchy and I've had them for a few days. Looks like I scratched them in my sleep.

On the right side of the pic by my thumb is another small pink lesion, raised bump, wasn't there before bed I don't think. I was wearing a tight t-shirt covering that though...

17. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 13:59:09
    #

Login to Send PM

scaryterry - 42 minutes ago  » 
    These two on the left are really bad and itchy and I've had them for a few days. Looks like I scratched them in my sleep.
    On the right side of the pic by my thumb is another small pink lesion, raised bump, wasn't there before bed I don't think. I was wearing a tight t-shirt covering that though...

The problem is that it is basically impossible to diagnose on skin lesions alone. Any skin scrapings, punch biopsy, done by dermatologist?

18. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 14:10:32
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 11 minutes ago  » 

scaryterry - 42 minutes ago  » 

The problem is that it is basically impossible to diagnose on skin lesions alone. Any skin scrapings, punch biopsy, done by dermatologist?

No, but I'm going to go back for a follow-up to the dermo who said it was fleas

19. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 20:58:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel like I'm noticing more bites popping up on my body as the day goes on!! I CAN'T KEEP LIVING LIKE THIS

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 22:22:24
    #

Login to Send PM

starseedseven - 23 hours ago  » 
    DE is abrasive so go easy with it on the body. I also take a teaspoon of DE mixed with water and drink it and it helps the body cleanse parasites and has loads of incredible benefits. And I am hoping it has some effect on The newly discovered bed bugs that I have. I just wanted to give you some hope.. try to stay calm and know you will get through this and solve your problem. Oh- I am also using cedar oil.. as a repellent.. I mix it with water and spray it everywhere and mix it with oil and put it on my arms and legs etc. good luck

Please do not apply DE (diatomaceous earth) or cedar oil to your body. DE can dry your skin and this can cause effects not dissimilar to bed bug bites (itching and irritation).

I don't know why you're drinking DE but drinking it will not help with the bed bugs.

It's not possible to "repel" bed bugs in the way you think you are doing, according to experts.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  21. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 23:34:53
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not possible that after washing my stuff, remnants of carpet beetles are in my clothes/underwear/sheets/towels and somehow irritating me throughout the day, right?

I feel like I can't pinpoint when and where they happen, they just pop up!

22. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 2:46:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I just put a sticky trap with a light on the little table at the end of my bed. Hopefully it catches... something?!?!

23. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 3:30:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I really appreciate ANYONE who can help me with this.

I was just lying in bed watching TV and I felt like there was another bump that I just noticed on the back of my leg. I felt it, yep, a bump. I didn't feel a "bite" per se, but I went to look at it in the light and it's a raised white bump with a dark little dot in the middle

I feel like there are things crawling on me while I'm in bed even though I don't think there are. I'm losing my mind over this guys...

24. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Apr 5 2018 0:02:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Please... where'd everyone go? I'm losing all hope.

I was just watching a movie in bed... again, at the end, I noticed a bump on the back of my leg with a little dot in the middle.

I'm thinking its mites at this point. I tried to catch them with a sticky trap. should I put the sticky trap/light thing ON my bed? How else can I know I have mites? What else could this be?

there's a crawl space underneath my room I didn't even realize til I looked around the house... but its sealed up. is there a chance something crawled in and died and the mites are coming up into my room?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,327 posts in 46,290 topics over 141 months by 20,404 of 21,244 members. Latest: Bedbughelp, Anxietykilledme, Jwag0327