Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Two months--Banished

(5 posts)
  1. bitemelady

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 15:34:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I've posted a lot here--especially recent ID questions. Friday night I think/thought I was/am re-infested, but I still don't know. I notified my landlord right away, and both Maintenance and Management did not even respond yesterday (Saturday). --I included in my email the question/desire to hire my own third-party to come inspect (perhaps with a dog) because due to BB addendum in lease, I had no control over who they hired... and the company that they did had 30 1-star reviews on Yelp; then that company made a series of mistakes, including placing a ripped encasement on my bed, leaving a contaminated bed-skirt in the 'safe-zone', etc. After I wrote a comprehensive email detailing all of their errors, they returned to fix the encasement and spray; over the course of July they returned two more times to re-spray. (However on the last visit I know they only took 8 minutes to "spray" because apparently the technician could not get a copy of the key from the office.. so he had me wait in the hall and lock up when he was done. He was in the apartment for 8 minutes.)

In conjunction with their silence, my parents (the only other ones that know) who are across the country have stopped responding to texts and emails. They don't answer the phone; they don't call because they say they don't know what to tell me.. they don't know about bed-bugs. Moreover they blame me because they say that I never should have moved across country for grad school and then I wouldn't ride 4-6 city-buses per day as I must to live in this city and go to work/school, plus get groceries. I was supposed to go home for the end of July (haven't been home since December) to celebrate my birthday with them, and I had to cancel my tickets--which is understandable, they didn't want their house infested (and celebrated alone by eating a cookie at Starbucks)--but you would think then they could at least just keep in contact.

My one best-friend who does know, who lives in the midwest, with whom I typically write letters with has been both throwing away or freezing my letters because she is scared of being contaminated/infested. She has stopped writing me letters. When I found out that she had been discarding or freezing the letters, my disgust with myself was ripe.

None of my local 'friends' (they are more like co-workers, because we're in grad classes together, it's a delicate line between friend and competitor) here know, and it is summer quarter so we're all taking a break from each other anyway. And my friends back home--even though I tried to maintain correspondence ever since I moved a year ago, via emails/letters/texts--have long since stopped responding to those because, well most of them are in fresh marriages; they just moved on. So between the silent landlord/management, being banished from parents/family, and lack of a support network, I found/find myself entirely vulnerable.

Through out July though I pushed myself to keep it together. Even this past week I finally started sending out requests/emails for internships (to do that while teaching and doing grad school in order to try to develop roots in this city to work/stay here. My laptop died; therefore I type everything on a tablet (which was once in a suitcase under my bed) because I have no other choice--I tried to stay positive during computer-death as well. I've really tried to continue living life, even though all of my books are still bagged (which I should be using to write my thesis), and I can no longer use my laptop to distract myself (either by going to 'work'/write at cafes out of the house or watch videos to de-stress).

In fact, until Friday night, when I thought I saw some moving things on the foot of my bed, I had actually been feeling empowered that I dealt with this all on my own and navigated the [horrid, uneducated, failure of a] PCO and my not-caring management [I already tried to call the group that owns them: I could not get a human and no one returned my message] on top of having no friends/family to lean on. I even learned to get over sitting on the buses again in order to 'get out' and meet some acquaintances for meals; I just do not have an option; my neighborhood doesn't even have a grocery--I have to take the bus to survive. Despite that it's 85 degrees during the day in my apartment and 93-95 at night (where I live there is no AC in this area of the country), I've tried to just move through August gracefully. I started sleeping well again; I've been active again every day and trying to eat healthy again; before Friday night, I felt like I had nearly repaired my life/person/pscyhe (even though everything is still bagged up to be extra safe--despite that the PCO said I could unpack).....

But if/when they do come back OR are back, I am not sure what I have left to go on.

I learned last month through their silence that clearly I am the only one who can validate my existence; I learned to need no one (in the physical world--I clearly need everyone in this digital realm) to repair myself and order to life. However, if they return, I am not sure how much personal, independent, silent strength that I have to go on. Beyond management, but with friends/family that do not want to hear from me, I am apparently one adding negative-value to the lives of others.

I am only left with questions.
    --What do I do if Maintenance/Management continues to not respond?
    --Also a week ago, I purchased a small bottle of JT Eaton water based spray on Amazon in case they returned--can I spray this myself? It doesn't specify how long to leave the area: would four hours be safe since that is how long I had to leave after the PCO?
    --Now that I complied with their hired PCO can I now hire my own person on top of that to do a check?
    --I was trying to wait to buy a new laptop until things were really safe, and there was no chance of it becoming 'contaminated'/dirtied by the present apartment, but should I just give up on waiting for the sake of productivity? --I think because the computer-death (corrupted logicboard) was right after I had steamed my Timbuk2 messenger bag.. and sprayed it down with isopropyl alcohol, I am more concerned that the bag is a type of electronic death-chamber than concerned that any bugs came inside.
    --There's probably an additional question about how to deal with the world when family/friends and even management have banished/turned a silent shoulder to me, but to such a question, there isn't answer--I am sure it is going to have to be like July, where I slog through it.

2. sleeplessinShelbyville

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 16:59:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello. I'm sorry you are going through this ordeal alone. just having them is stressful enough. It really Is sad that your family and friends have turned their backs and stopped talking to you. and I don't think you can get bedbugs from a letter... Crazy! I have been in battle for 5 weeks with these God awful bugs. no fun. drives you crazy.... Duck tape can fix holes in your encasement. this site will help you a lot. I read on here that Eco Defence is a good spray and Cimexa is the best dust. I bought mine through Bed Bug supply. just stay calm. I know that from experience that is easier said then done but we must be stronger then our enemy. I sprayed myself. I also placed the Cimexa dust on my own. behind bed frame, behind plug covers, on bed frame, behind the blinds at the top of window, in all corners of my bedrooms and living room, closets,and anywhere I thought one could hide. I used a small paint brush and painted the baseboards and all. then I puffed some down in the cushions of my couch then turned It over and painted the bottom and puffed it on there as well. all cases are different however you have to be able to think your helping yourself. I have not see hide nor hair of anything since I did this. the experts on here are great at answering any questions. just give them time though they are very busy. also make your questions short and to the point. I hope you get to living again as well as I hope I do. we will never be the same. I wish you the best. as for your Parents and friends SHAME on them.... Bedbugs can and will happen to anyone it's no ones fault.

3. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 0:03:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, I feel your pain! I have been downplaying my bb issue and isolating trying to deal with it all on my own! Being on this board really helps! And THANK GOD you got a new laptop. That's where my money would have gone first too. Cannot live without it.

My only advice is to stick close to the boards and focus on the solution and try not to get too overwhelmed with what others think or how totally cruel they are being to you. sleeplessinShelbyville is right, shame on your friends and family! Don't be a victim, be victorious over winning the battle of these critters! I'm only 2 weeks into this and I pretty much have not seen anybody but plastic bags, washers/dryers, my computer screen, white power all over my baseboards, and trash bins. I know I'm isolating and I'm very uncomfortable, tired, and probably wouldn't be good company anyways! Very sleep deprived and cranky too... as soon as the PCO comes to do the 2nd treatment tomorrow, I'm going try to shake it off and try to get back to a normal life.

I've researched and read a lot of good posts on this board. One of the best things I learned is that bb don't stay on you like flees or ticks do... and they don't carry diseases. The worst thing I've been reading about is how hard it is for them to actually truly go away. Shocking!

Hope you stay positive!

4. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 0:16:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs will generally not infest electronics under normal circumstances. It is not a good place for them to harbor. They can become infested if you do something like sleep with your laptop in your bed, have a big infestation where they head for your electronics due to lack of room elsewhere, or a botched elimination attempt (say, a bug bomb or fogger; never use those! They don't work!) sends them fleeing into your electronics for safety.

I was not worried about my electronics out here due to the circumstances involved two years ago, but it was the reason I was checking my alarm clock with a flashlight on a daily basis.

There is more than one story floating around where a person kept getting re-infested until they, or the PCO, thought to check something that didn't seem likely to be a harborage...something like the bedroom remote control.

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird
  5. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 16:51:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope you do not have bed bugs again. Sorry that you are going through what you are with family/friends. I have been lucky that my family at this time has been supportive but I am glad I found this forum because even though they are supportive they do not know what I am going through because they have not went through it themselves. It also helps to read that what I am going through is not abnormal. Good luck with the PCO. Fingers crossed no bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,274 posts in 50,155 topics over 155 months by 21,924 of 22,420 members. Latest: duracell, Parawail, Quiltergirl