Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

two live bugs, one dead one. 2 casings. no bites on me. houseguest had a few.

(11 posts)
  1. trouble

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 18:35:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi I too am wondering whether I have a mild case, and how to manage this.

About a month ago a brought a lot of my belongings from SF-Brooklyn in a shipping container. Almost no furniture --some wooden bookshelves, some metal shelving & a lamp-- lots of vinyl records (in cardboard sleeves) and books, and bags of linens and clothes. I have been living in Brooklyn buglessly (as far as I know) for 3 months, with my mattress on the floor.

I left my apartment last Monday and had a houseguest in my room. She left on wednesday and mentioned she had a cluster of bumps on her arm, which started to itch a few days later. I came by on wednesday and thought I maybe saw a dead bug/casing but wasn't sure. I didnt stay or put anything down in the bedroom although I did take some articles of clothing out. After 4 hours in my house (not in the bedroom) I left until this Monday, when I was again turning around to leave town again without sleeping.

When I came home I lifted up the sheet and saw a reddish bug with maybe 3 legs on each side and 2 feelers in the front? the body was very round. When I crushed it nothing came out, no blood or black stuff, it was dry.

I then spent 4 hours freaking out. when I pulled the rest of the sheets off, I found another live one, same size, reddish, with a fat round body. I put it in a ziploc with the crushed one. I bagged up all my clothes and linens in the bedroom in plastic garbage bages that I twisted the tops of and tied in knots. I ran out and bought a mattress bag and bagged my mattress. WE don't have a vacuum, and I had to leave again (heading out of town for a family emergency).

My roommate is now very worried. He has not seen any bugs or had any bites - his room is at the back of the house and mine is at the front. The landlord is trying to save money and wants to wait until wednesday - her regular exterminator suggested I bag up the bugs I found and wait till wednesday. this seems inadquate to me. He also apparently didn't suggest I bag up my clothes or anything else. I'm suspicious of this exterminator!

So now, I'm on a bus -all my clothes are in a plastic bag except for what I'm wearing (I feel awful about coming to the bus - I took a shower before I left and shook out all my clothes and found no crawlies and nothing I'm wearing was in the bedroom and neither was the suitcase). I plan to strip off and wash everything as soon as I get to my destination (keeping all in plastic bags until I take it directly to the basement laundry room which is cement floor and has very little fabric or wood around).

Anyway, I'd love advice - it does seem like a mild case, in my house. How quickly do we need to move on this? Does my roommmate need to bag up all his stuff too? I have had quotes from $500 to $1350 for doing a 2bedroom apartment - what to do there? especially given I have so many records and books? Also, I have expensive DJ headphones with padded ear cups, they have been in my backpack, which has not been in the bedroom for weeks, and they were not in the bedroom ever as far as I know. Do I need to throw them out? should I get a metal bedframe?

My landlord seems reluctant to spend much and I am COMPLETELY BROKE and haven't seen much sign of bugs yet. What is a reasonable response here?

2. edtt

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 18:40:18
    #

Login to Send PM

hello Trouble,
    Do you still have the bugs you found?
    it would be to your benefit to take good, clear pic and post hem here for the experts to identify.
    You can't know what,, how or even if you need to treat, until you know what you are treating for.
    Good luck

3. trouble

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 18:47:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi
    I took a picture of the dead one but it was crushed up so the legs all bunched together, and I onlye have a phone camera with poor resolution

I had to leave but I left the ziplocs so when my landlord gets her act together she could have someone look at it. yeah I know its inadequate.

How do I upload pictures? I don't want to post then on my own flickr account..

4. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 19:39:15
    #

Login to Send PM

You should create a dump account. I think there's more information in this sticky.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/test-13

5. trouble

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 20:05:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok thanks y'all for the quick response. here's what I got of the dead one.

the one thing that makes me suspicious is that the body of the bug didn't look so flat but round like a ball (and had no blood or black stuff when smooshed). But the color and number of legs & feelers looks like an adolescent

when I crushed it the legs got bunched together.

IMG_2548

IMG_2540

blurry but shows the size
    IMG_2541

6. trouble

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 10:40:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all - I'm trying not to lose my cool, since I am not at my apartment and my landlord is not responding to my calls. I don't know if what I found were bedbugs or not - my friend who stayed at my place had a cluster of bites (I guess I could be immune and that;s why I've had none), when I looked on the mattress I found two living bugs.

These forums are a little scary to me although I appreciate how helpful and responsive people are. One thing I'm wondering going forward is should I buy a bed (a metal one?) - My mattress has been on the floor until now (I put it in an encasement before I left). Also, I'm guessing I should buy a vacuum, since we don't have one. I don't want to throw money at this problem (I will have to go into debt as it is), but I am also not wanting to wait for things to get out of hand.

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 11:12:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't examine in detail but probably spider beetles. Not a BB.

Jim

8. trouble

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 11:24:43
    #

Login to Send PM

woah, you think so? that would be such a relief!

are they harmful? do I need to kill them off?

why are they hanging around on my mattress which has not grain products on it?

the cluster of bites on my friend's forearm was ominous.. but she hasn't had any more...

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 11:24:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bedbug.

95% certain its a spider beetle.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  10. trouble

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 11:41:14
    #

Login to Send PM

oh thank heavens. wow. such a relief.

11. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 19:07:20
    #

Login to Send PM

100% certain they are spider beetles.

Sean

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123