Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Two IDs please.

(8 posts)
  1. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 3:09:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Specimen 1: Found this day before yesterday, sorry it's upside down but I got it from a very narrow gap with a stick and tape on one side, so it got stuck very well.

Photo 1: http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9173/photo1dn.jpg
    Photo 2: http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/4141/photo6xe.jpg
    Photo 3: http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9128/photozdn.jpg

Specimen 2: Found this yesterday from the same area and got it with a double sided tape stuck to a mop stick (it was so hard because it was on the edge and it took a LOT of work to capture it)

Photo: http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4180/2ndcg.jpg

PLEASE tell me if you need more photos to ID these 2 different specimens.

PS. Sorry about the hair on the tape, it was almost inevitable coming from near headboard.

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 3:12:55
    #

Login to Send PM

First picture looks like some type of larvae. Definitely not bed bug related.

Second picture is dermestid beetle larvae.

3. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 3:15:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks KQ, the first one's photo was in the same place as the second, moved the same way. It's hair was accidentally removed by me when I tried to move it on to a clear tape.

If they were both dermestid larvae, and since I have so far found 5 of them. Should I be worried and look for pest control?

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 3:25:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree. NOT bed bugs but dermestids.

These critters are commonly found in homes. WHile they are capable of becoming problematic, this is not usually the case since the advent of synthetic fabrics used for carpets, furniture and other materials.

They do have the ability to feed on a number of materials including natural fibers (i.e. wool) and other food/grain materials. In fact, just yesterday whilst cleaning my office I found a cache of these about 50 critters in a smal box where they were feeding upon a single rodent pellet. (I use such pellets to feed cockroaches). These individuals were in that hidden location likely sinice we moved to this house about eight years ago now.

Removal of the source ends the problem but even after all that time, there were only about fifty individuals present.

Most folks who contact me about these insects usually see just a few.

Let us know if any additional questions or concerns.

paul b.

5. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 3:32:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I have absolutely no idea how they could have come under my bed like in the luggage compartment thing which I did not open since June when I left for summer. When I came back I got bb paranoia so kept my luggage out till I finish my final inspection (currently in progress) after 3 months.

I found these dermestid larvaes on the headboard gap (the one I keep complaining about being too narrow) on the edge of the baseboard but inside my bed - if that makes sense.

While I kept looking and shining 2 LED torches on anything that feels wrong, I found another one I think and it started crawling really fast! When I took my mop stick covered with double tape and poked in I couldn't get it.

So I joined ear buds to make a "precision" tool, but when I went back in to see it moved so far away that I can't reach it, and then it crawled outside the bed on the other side I think but I have all gaps sealed with tapes so I am not sure what happens now.

But the way it moved was similar to these other dermistid I found, but bit faster. Could it be a bb by any chance? I am going to devote the entirety of the day (we just started the day here) to find that one that escaped.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 3:35:23
    #

Login to Send PM

No, it's probably a dernestid as well. Unless you have another photo to look at.

I have a hard time describing them as "fast" by any stretch but then again, I'm used to dealing with roaches and they are much quicker.

Use a vacuum and suck 'em up.

pb

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2012 6:06:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, dermestid beetle larvae. One looks like it could be a Trogoderma species. As pointed out by Paul, the larvae are good at cleaning up organic debris and also infesting felt, wool, down, since these are basically debris (not on animal any longer) that we use as clothing, insulation items, etc. You probably have an advanced dermestid infestation in the home, especially if things (boxes, clothing, etc.) have been in places for months or most likely longer and have become reservoir populations of dermestid beetles. They like to hide in and under objects, under floor boards -- hair, dander, other items accumulate in such places. Cracks and crevices are good places for many insects, not only bed bugs. You've been posting many pictures of dermestid beetles at various times.
    I've used guinea pig droppings to feed millipedes.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2012 8:40:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply Lou. I have found a total of 4 carpet beetle larvae since I started cleaning my room in order to look for BB. I have checked very thoroughly and found these 4 individuals. Would you classify this as an infestation?

I had a suitcase (hard case) near that area which has been there for months, but the zipper is closed very tightly, and I am not able to open it to inspect at this point, so I ve wrapped it with over 6 large bin bags and put it back in the area after vaccuming it thoroughly. Should this be enough?

Please let me know asap and once again, thank you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,685 posts in 50,015 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me