Two alive bed bugs found on bed

(12 posts)
  1. chocolatechipcookie

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 1:13:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all, this is my first time here so please excuse me if I wrote something improper here.

I live in one bedroom apt and there are two beds in my bedroom because I live with my sister. We have lived here 5 years and people always move in and out; my recent neighbor moved in 3 months ago. No one reported bed bugs to my apt manager.

Two weeks ago I found two one bed bug right next to my pillow at 8 am, and as I was getting up to find a tape to catch it, I saw another one on another bed that's right next to mine. Both are not adults, possibly 4-5 stage. They both were quite flat, I assume they had eaten before because my sister told me she had many itchy bites a few days ago (~5 in one place and ~3 on legs) but she thought she was just allergic to something. I don't have reaction to the bites.

I told my apt and their contracted inspector came one week ago. He checked both beds and said he couldn't find anything. Both of our beds are on wall to wall carpeted floor, have no headboards and frames. There are no clutters in the room, and we have a built in closet and one plastic bin. All the clothes are hung on metal racks.

Couple days later, about 1.5 weeks after the two bugs initially appeared, I found very light blood stains on my bed along with few fecal stains (tiny black dots) on both of our beddings. I was hoping the two were all I had, but I obviously still have more. I saw every inch of my bedroom wall, floor, and bed. I could not find any feces nor shells. I know they are difficult to find, but they are driving me nuts and have me decided to post here. I have ripped bottom of box springs but saw nothing, but there are cardboards on top of the box spring where I can't rip easily.

Should I call the inspector again and get my apt sprayed? I know I am over reacting with small infestation, but some of my friends are freaking out about my situation and I feel bad about worrying them. Other than laundering in hot water and drying in high heat, what else should/can I do? Can I ever find them? Thanks for your help in advance!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 8:44:12
    #

Login to Send PM

The inspection turned up with no evidence. Post what you believe to be bed bugs, you could just be mistaken.

3. chocolatechipcookie

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 13:31:58
    #

Login to Send PM

https://imgur.com/KrEdkW1 Bugs
    https://imgur.com/QUGTIVu Stains

I forgot to take pictures of some other stains, I had couple more stains like (3) on pillows. I assume (2) and (5) are blood stains? All pictures are on the same scale, and the biggest stain (6) is about 3-4 mm. What do you think? Thanks for your help!

4. chocolatechipcookie

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 13:34:02
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummyBoth bugs were alive when I caught them.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 14:00:59
    #

Login to Send PM

chocolatechipcookie - 26 minutes ago  » 
    BigDummyBoth bugs were alive when I caught them.

That part isn't what I was questioning.

6. chocolatechipcookie

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 15:11:49
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy I posted the picture address.

chocolatechipcookie - 1 hour ago  » 
    https://imgur.com/KrEdkW1 Bugs
    https://imgur.com/QUGTIVu Stains
    I forgot to take pictures of some other stains, I had couple more stains like (3) on pillows. I assume (2) and (5) are blood stains? All pictures are on the same scale, and the biggest stain (6) is about 3-4 mm. What do you think? Thanks for your help!

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 15:31:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, bed bug or close relative.

8. SalsaVince

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 17:44:43
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not an overreaction to want to have a small infestation treated. In fact, it's the perfect time to treat it successfully before it grows. However, they may require finding another live bug before they treat but it's worth contacting them and letting them know that you found more evidence in the way of the stains. You say you don't have a frame or headboard so I guess you would just have to look in any crack or crevice near the mattress and on the mattress itself. Some people use a credit card to go along the seams. I personally preferred a flat head screw driver because I'm a sissy and wanted to have more space between my hand and potentially hidden bugs. If you still have them, they will eventually make an appearance. Keep some tape handy to snag them. You could also get some climb up traps and set them near your mattress. They won't protect you from them but they will help monitor them. If you get one, definitely present it to the inspector and get treatment.

As far as your friends reaction, it sucks but it's understandable. People are terrified of bed bugs and assume that if they come anywhere near someone that has them that they are guaranteed to get them. Just be careful with your clothing washing, drying, and bagging them and put on clean clothes before heading out of the house. After you can go several weeks without any signs of them, they will hopefully relax. Good luck!

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  9. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 18:22:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey,
    I would advise : and you don´t have to take my advice obviously, but if I were you, saying that you live in a 1 bed probably means you don´t have a lot of stuff. I would bag all clothes and fabric. Try and get the zip lock see through bags so you know where everything is.
    Wash/ dry all clothes following a specific temperature protocol, then bag them. Put them out of the way and sealed. Keep one bag of clothes for house use only and as soon as you walk through the door change into them and save the outdoor clothes.
    Same for shoes.
    I think this is important, as if they have established nests etc you do not want to pass them to friends and family. This is the worst part for me, thinking that you could be spreading them. And they do like to hang out in closets. Your friends are right to worry. Tell them that you have a protocol, explain it. It should put their mind at rest if they think you´re taking the problem seriously.
    I know it may seem like an extreme thing to clean and bag everything, but thats what I would do. Some people wouldnt agree.
    The other option would be to just clean and bag the outdoor clothes. A lower intensity of response.

If you do nothing then you could spread them to other people, to work, school, wherever and then you´re in the infernal cycle of where was I bitten??

Youre lucky as your sister´s a reactor. You´ll know when and if they strike again and then you can act accordingly. If they do reappear, chose a PCO carefully.
    Im just over cautious based on past experience:
    For me: first time round, we didnt bag anything really, trusted a friendly PCO who claimed theyd solve it, two years later we still had them.
    Second time round - now - first sign, I cleaned and bagged everything and use just Cimexa. 6 weeks later the problem has and is diminishing. Hopefully fingers crossed it will diminish to the point of zero.

Good luck!

10. chocolatechipcookie

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 23:01:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks SalsaVince and Sleepless2 for advice. I've heard about cimexa but I haven't really searched about it. I'll look into it.

BigDummy Do you think it's certain that I have more bed bugs? My thoughts are 1. there were two not fully grown bed bugs 2. therefore there must be other babies growing at the moment. I wish I didn't have to deal with this (who doesn't) We were supposed to visit our parent's for Christmas but now I am very cautious and hesitant.

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 23:44:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, it has to start somewhere, so it is possible but unlikely that you caught the only two bugs in your apartment. Personally I would expect to find more.
    Still visit for Christmas, just follow treatment protocol so that you don't accidentally expose anyone else to bed bugs.
    If you haven't already done so I would show these bed bug photos to the property manager.

12. chocolatechipcookie

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 23:54:10
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy Thanks for your quick reply. I have shown the bugs to the apt manager but because the pest control guy didn't find any evidence of infestation the manager is not being very proactive about it. He said it can be removed easily and I am panicking too much. The pest guy said he will come back when I find another alive bugs. Basically what he meant was I have to have a visible infestation to get the process started?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur