Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Trying to live again

(9 posts)
  1. CantStopCrying

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 8 2017 20:11:37
    #

Login to Send PM

So it's getting nice outside again and people are wanting to get together. This is normally my absolute FAVORITE time of year. My son started baseball today and I love taking long walks with friends when the weather is nice. However this year it's different. I want to hide I don't want to see anyone!

I haven't seen a bed bug since late January, early February. It's not me I'm worried about at this point! It's everyone else! Today my dad's girlfriend wanted to take my daughter to a birthday party...I let her but didn't want to! My son had his first baseball game and another baseball mom gave me a "gift" it was a tote bag that was baseball print (brand new in the package) it's adorable and I love it but it went straight in the washer when I brought it in my house! My nephew asked to spend the night.....I'm letting him, this is the first time since before Christmas.

I'm allowing these things to happen because I can't hide forever, but it's scaring the absolute hell out of me. All of this just transpired today and it's a lot to take in one day! All the people I've seen/been around and the places we've been and my nephew staying all I see in my head is one big bed bug infestation waiting to happen!

Not only did that baseball bag go in the wash but when my daughter came home her clothes did as well....as for my nephew? The stuff he brought over is in an airtight clear tote and I took the clothes he's wearing to bed and ran them through the dryer!

I feel like an absolute nut case right now! Dear god please tell me I won't feel like this forever!!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 8 2017 22:44:13
    #

Login to Send PM

It will get better.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. I think you probably want to avoid making others worry or feel strange. But some of what you're doing can be done discreetly and without hurting others. What's the big deal if you wash a new tote bag?

Keeping bed bug monitors in place and checking them once a month helps some of us relax.

It's also worth considering seeking support on this if it is troubling you-- others here have had good results from seeing a therapist.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. CantStopCrying

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 9 2017 9:01:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 10 hours ago  » 
    It will get better.
    Try not to be too hard on yourself. I think you probably want to avoid making others worry or feel strange. But some of what you're doing can be done discreetly and without hurting others. What's the big deal if you wash a new tote bag?
    Keeping bed bug monitors in place and checking them once a month helps some of us relax.
    It's also worth considering seeking support on this if it is troubling you-- others here have had good results from seeing a therapist.

It's not just the tote bag going in the wash....it's everything! I'm of the opinion that everyone is going to give them back to me! Im not saying anything to anyone. My nephew didn't even know I had BB or that I put his stuff in a tote. He's used to me putting his stuff away because my dog for some reason likes to pee on his stuff when he comes over so it always gets put away but this time it got put in an air tight tote. probably should see someone co soldering I had terrible anxiety even before this happened. I just feel like this is now something else that is going to be with me forever and I'll never be "normal" again.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Apr 10 2017 0:18:13
    #

Login to Send PM

My point was that you don't have to be too hard on yourself. If something makes you feel better and doesn't harm anyone, then don't beat yourself up.

That said, you aren't going to get bed bugs from everyone and everywhere and you can treat the anxiety. I would focus on that and I think you'll see an improvement all round.

5. CantStopCrying

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 28 2017 16:31:38
    #

Login to Send PM

So it's been almost 2 months , well a month and a half (I'm trying to be glass half full) since my final treatment. Haven't seen a BB since the beginning of February, a weird bite here or there but it's also mosquito season so I'm being paranoid. But anyway my husband keeps getting on me because I won't put away the clothes that have been bagged up and packed away so today I started....6 contractor bags unbagged and put away. To ease my own mind I threw them in the dryer again and tied the bags up into a new bag and took them outside. I'm nervous but I'm trying...needs to be done anyway since all of the summer stuff was put away and now we are having more warm days then cold. I am not ready to have my house "full" again. I was beginning to like it empty!

This is kicking my anxiety into overdrive, wish me luck as I continue to unpack the next 10 bags of clothes...

6. Mitchygirl

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 28 2017 16:42:11
    #

Login to Send PM

CantStopCrying - 2 weeks ago  » 
    It's not me I'm worried about at this point! It's everyone else!
    ...I feel like an absolute nut case right now! Dear god please tell me I won't feel like this forever!!

This was the hardest part of getting over BB for me. I know exactly how you feel. I was paranoid about going to movies, taking the D.C. metro, staying at ANY place other than my own home after we finally got rid of the biting devils. It does get better.

There was a moment, years after we'd left our BB-ridden apartment (after treating it, of course) that I had what I can only describe as a panic attack. I was in a hotel in Hawaii--my favorite place on earth--and saw what I thought was a BB. I could barely breathe.

More than 6 years later I actually found a BB on my bed in my home! You can imagine my state, but I managed not to hyperventilate or anything and it turned out to be just one that probably hitchhiked on my backpack from public transit--neither me or my husband got any bites and after calling an exterminator and biting our nails for months there was no sign of any more BBs.

It gets better. I'm able to go to the movies, travel, and have house guests again. We just do our due diligence by inspecting rooms before we move our luggage from the bathroom and washing or heating up travel-clothing if there's any suspicion of a reinfection.

The bottom line is that it *could* happen again. But you know that you can survive it. You will get through it with your sanity intact. Hopefully, the experience only makes you stronger.

7. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 28 2017 17:46:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear things are going well for you. I really wish Terminix would come this far north. They say they will, then never show up and make excuses. I get it, we're not exactly close. But they are the only company that gives a guarentee and uses more than just chemicals. Our problem is still not solved, I've controlled it myself but the landlord won't consider a heat treatment and he now wants to sell the house. So now I have to try to move without them. Will throw out all our furniture and vikane the rest of our belongings and clothes in a moving truck. Dont have any other option. I'd hate to own my own house and deal with an infestation, but I hate renting and dealing with an infestation more, only so much I can control.

Hope you're in the clear and even if you arent you're at the point where you can catch any issues early and end it swiftly.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  8. CantStopCrying

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 28 2017 22:02:08
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 4 hours ago  » 
    Glad to hear things are going well for you. I really wish Terminix would come this far north. They say they will, then never show up and make excuses. I get it, we're not exactly close. But they are the only company that gives a guarentee and uses more than just chemicals. Our problem is still not solved, I've controlled it myself but the landlord won't consider a heat treatment and he now wants to sell the house. So now I have to try to move without them. Will throw out all our furniture and vikane the rest of our belongings and clothes in a moving truck. Dont have any other option. I'd hate to own my own house and deal with an infestation, but I hate renting and dealing with an infestation more, only so much I can control.
    Hope you're in the clear and even if you arent you're at the point where you can catch any issues early and end it swiftly.

Not sure what state you're in but I used Ehrlic, they used chemical and dust.

I agree renting and dealing with this is probably worse because you can only do what they are willing to do but I have to say paying for it out of pocket and not having the moving option sucks as well. Moving is still something we are looking into but we aren't looking at months...it's going to be years I'm sure. So far we are clear but I did just find a very dead bug, doesn't look like a BB to me but these days I'm convinced that everything is a BB. Good luck with moving!

9. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 29 2017 7:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I could have written this post myself, though I also am convinced some zombie bedbug is going to appear out of nowhere, as well as being worried that everyone is going to give them back to me.

I find myself madly looking at other people's faces for bumps. Sometimes it's just to reassure myself that everyone has bumps and blemishes, and not everything is a bedbug bite. Sometimes it's out of suspicion.

We got the all clear from my PCO a week ago, and I can't bring myself to unbag our stuff either. My husband took this as we could go back to living like we were before... not getting dressed immediately when we get up. Not being careful with our clothes and jackets. It makes me want to scream, but i keep telling myself we got the all clear. We're good.

Then this morning I found a bright red welt on my daughter's back. Like a mosquito bite. I didn't think we had mosquitoes around here yet, but we were playing outside at dusk with all the neighbors. Like you, I feel like we've been hiding for months and it was so nice to relax and let the kids run. They were climbing trees in the back yard. This bump could be anything, but even my laid back husband was searching her bed for signs (no signs!).

I still check through the sheets and bedding and pillows every other day and inspect the interceptors each morning. It feels like a huge weight.

But, I have also had hours and hours go by without thinking of them this week. I have skipped a day of bed checking here or there. I didn't freak out when my daughter left her giant ziplock bag of clothes unzipped. I used a laundry basket instead of wasting another trash bag the other day. It is slowly getting better. I just hope I can continue to convince myself this bite on my daughter is a mosquito - as she sits on the sofa in her pj's. Ugh.

Hang in there. We will all get through this!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,427 posts in 49,259 topics over 152 months by 21,590 of 22,013 members. Latest: Ddukes, acidburn, metropest