Trying steamer

(9 posts)
  1. MichelleBB

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Oct 7 2012 12:31:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, it reaches 200 degrees at the tip (Vapamore Primo). I steamed the whole bed and frame, put its legs in climb-ups and even put mineral oil in the center well of the climb-ups. I thought I would be free of bites while I steamed the rest of the apartment. I was wrong. I am still getting bites, even though it should not be possible. My bed does not touch the wall. Did I pick the wrong steamer again? Has anyone here used a steamer successfully.

Don't recommend a PCO, traps, or DE. I tried those, too, and all attempts failed.

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Oct 7 2012 12:46:13
    #

Login to Send PM

1. The steamer you're using should be fine. That is if you're steaming correctly.

2. You are changing the design of the climb up trap and you shouldn't. I recommend you wash them out, reline them with talc properly, and use them the way they are intended for use.

3. Have you confirmed you have bed bugs and how?

3. MichelleBB

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 8:54:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I found one small live one in April, confirmed by the PCO, who treated and failed to get right of them. I have not seen any since, but I have been bitten at least once every day. These methods are suppressing the bugs (if they weren't, I would have many more by now), but nothing kills all of them. I am sure I am using the steamer correctly. I followed instructions on the video, used the right attachment, and went slowly over the entire bed. Five times this past week. The finish on the wood is ruined, but I wouldn't care if this had actually worked.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 10:30:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I think Killerqueen's point is you're not making the ClimbUps more effective by adding oil. They will work better without it. They will trap bed bugs which cross it if it's used properly.

We have a steamer FAQ which may help with techniques and resources:
    http://bedbugger.com/faqs/pestcontrol/faq-killing-bed-bugs-with-steam/

I would also be curious about whether/how bed bugs were confirmed.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. MichelleBB

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2012 14:49:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I found a live one in April and showed it to the PCO, who identified it, treated, failed, and won't give my money back. I'm a little bitter about it.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Oct 13 2012 0:16:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Another point is that steaming is a contact kill. You may have to repeat it a number of times (and maybe even more, or with other methods also) to get them all. It's generally not a one-off deal, except perhaps with really experienced technicians -- and even then, certainly not every time.

7. skritch

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 10 2013 15:10:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I used a small hand-held steamer, but I used it daily for months and finally was rid of them (so I thought). About 6 months later they were back.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 10 2013 21:44:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Skritch,
    If bed bugs seemed to disappear for six months, it sounds like you DID kill them all. It sounds like they were reintroduced, perhaps brought in or very likely from an attached neighbor if I recall your situation correctly.

9. barbieb

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 27 2013 14:08:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I own a hand-held steamer, but it isn't "dry". For lack of funds and travel options is that OK? Then I read about using the wide nozzle so I don't fly them out of the crevices (if they are even there) but want to make sure I don't zoom along too quickly (my nature...) ONE SECOND PER INCH - IS THAT SLOW ENOUGH? The steamer "gets the surface up to 170 degrees" per instructions. It's dry enough in Michigan that I am not concerned at all about making possible mold in the couch wooden frame - I will turn a fan on afterwards to be sure dry. I peeled the back off bottom of couch, don't see anything, but going to nail every crevice anyways. Just an hour ago I saw a tiny nymph in couch crevice. I will then follow up with a contact spray that is supposed to last 4 weeks (but I will repeat every week) and a little DE. Think that sounds like a pretty decent IPM plan of action?

Oh! Then, while online right now....(5 feet away from couch) a little bugger took his final stroll across my desk!! That is IT!! Files being removed from kitchen and going into "treatment area" in sealed containers with no pest strips for 10 days! I will be on this 24/7 if need be - thank goodness I am disabled and cannot work?

By the way, I was watching real close for the nymphs as we just removed the box spring & mattress a week ago (AND my roommate being "tired" was naive enough to come back in the house after we carried the furniture to the curb & without changing his clothes SAT ON THE COUCH up in the living room!! So I was somewhat prepared for a spread upstairs.) and I am counting days since I became aware of BB issue and making a diary of each action. WHAT A JOB!! You guys are my Best Friends these days - nobody else will come near me anyway.... I can't wait to see design for the badges/bumper stickers/ how about "polite" warning stickers on people's storm doors "enter at your own risk?" Just trying to be funny. I only need to see a couple bedbugs and I am ON IT!! Due Diligence Plus...

Barb (again)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,802 posts in 50,042 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen