Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Tropical vs Temperate bed bug image HIGH RES!

(10 posts)
  1. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 5:22:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi folks,

I've just done another one of those focus-stacked macro images. This time it is a comparative of the tropical and temperate bb species. The tropical bedbug (C. hemipterus) is the one on the left. They are both males.

Here is the small version to fit on your screen:
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5301/5664156440_29c5613569_b.jpg

Here is the full resolution version for people who like to see every tiny detail ; ):
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5301/5664156440_c246a7fc64_o.jpg

Enjoy!

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 7:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard

Amazing detail... Thanks for posting them.

May I included your photograph with proper attribution in a packet of educational materials that I utilize to train K9 handlers on bed bug identification?

3. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 11:21:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you treat both the same? I think we have the tropical version, which would be fairly uncommon here in the midwest.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 11:24:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes you treat both species the same way. The good news is that from personal experience the tropical are less hardy and secumb to western insecticides well.

Again great images Richard, I am surprised you have not been booked to do the Royal wedding tomorrow.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 11:30:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. And I'm surprise YOU haven't been contacted to eradicate bed bugs at Buckingham Palace! But maybe you have, and they made you sign a confidentiality agreement

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 11:42:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Toledo,

To work on the royal household you generally have to do two things:

1 Sign a confidentiality agreement and been security screened (I have enough issues getting into the US because I am a listed human rights activist (in what little free time I have)).

2 Work for free for 2 years in return for which you get to use the royal warrant.

I am aware of one of the palaces that had an issue from speaking to a pest controller who did not follow the protocol in point 1 but out of respect / fear I will not say which one.

On point 2 I asked my bank manager if he would let me off my mortgage payments if I had a warrant and he said no so head of state or not I need to pay my bills. If you want me you pay for me, I am no where near as astronomic as you would think, in fact its common for people to pay a lot more for a lot less in the UK.

David

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 12:24:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Just for fun play spot the differences.

Don't say what differences you see but just count them up and post.

Maybe Richard, Lou and EffeCi can say how many are discernible in the provided pics. See who gets closest.

Haven't the time to look at them for longer than 10 seconds but 2 differences are blatantly visible.

Will spend more time tonight to find others

Jim

8. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 29 2011 12:13:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone,

Spideyjg - there are 3 main characteristics I look for to separate the two species. They are normally clear enough to spot with a hand lens and good light. On examining the photos I can see few other variations which I hadn't spotted before, but they more subtle and therefore only really visible under a microscope, which is of limitted use in the field. If you fancy testing yourself I could post a few more images and leave it to you to identify them?

Doug - I'll PM you!

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 1 2011 6:07:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard, sorry to post so late, great photos. So much is so clear. Did you take them of females, nymphs, too? Dorsal, ventral?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  10. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 1 2011 16:03:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou,

Yes, I've done all instars and the female as well. I'll dig them out and post. The nymphs seem to be much harder to distinguish. I haven't done a ventral comparison yet but it would be interesting to see how the females compare. I'll get onto it shortly.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,316 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto