Tried pesticide, cryonite, now what?

(5 posts)
  1. buggedinT.O.

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2011 22:37:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had bed bugs for 4 weeks now. They came home on my suitcase from Central America. I was bitten the first night I arrived and had a PCO in within 24hours. I have had two pesticide treatments, and two cryonite treatments. I was the PCO's first case where the cryonite did not work on the first try. They have been using the technology for 4-5 months. Until now I haven't found many live bugs Today I found three, one in my bed, one on my dog's towel and one on the bathroom wall! I have all my clothes and linens bagged, mattress and now pillow encasements. I live in an old house divided into two apartments. The house is semidetached. With the landlord we are now discussing thermal heat treatment. I am very afraid this will never end!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 19 2011 0:13:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Heat treatment, done correctly, should eliminate the bed bug problem in one go. (Like anything else, it can fail if not done correctly by a knowledgeable and experienced team.)

Check on the type of guarantee offered, and how it will be determined that the problem is solved. (For example, if you think you still have bed bugs, what will the firm do to confirm this, or what will they accept as evidence from you?)

Cryonite can work, but it's a contact killer. We have heard of people having as many as 3-4 treatments before they were successful. If you are under a guarantee for that job, one option would be to persist with that. (Were the same people applying the Cryonite and then the pesticides?)

On the other hand, if moving to thermal is an option, it may be more expeditious.

I don't know if the neighbors may have gotten bed bugs if you've only had them four weeks. Are you sure you got bed bugs from the trip (and that they weren't instead coming from neighbors, or even if you did get them on the trip, that they haven't been concurrently present in a neighbor's home?)

If it's possible your neighboring apartment or even the attached house next door have them, this needs to be identified and dealt with somehow.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. buggedinT.O.

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Mar 20 2011 21:36:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response! How do you know if a company is knowledgeable or experienced with thermal? How long using the technology constitutes knowledgeable? What should I ask to find out? I have used two separate companies - one for the pesticides and one for the cryonite. The cryonite company is offering to do the thermal treatment of my place as part of the 30 day warranty on the cryonite job. But the apartment below and house next door are not included in that. I have heard that thermal can not be an option for older houses. When is that the case? Is it possible to not have the house next door treated thermally? It is a semi detached house and we share a wall. Or is their a real danger of migration? I have a couple other questions. I have bought diactomaceous earth. Is it safe to put in the cracks of floor boards, along baseboards , etc ? Also, I found again today a bug on the towel that my dog is sleeping on. He is sleeping near the bathroom where I have also found two bugs. Would it help if I sent him for a washing and to a friends house until the bugs are gone?

4. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 12:06:09
    #

Login to Send PM

buggedinT.O. - 1 day ago  » 
    ... I have bought diactomaceous earth. Is it safe to put in the cracks of floor boards, along baseboards , etc ?...

Nobugsonme hasn't had a chance to respond yet but in the meantime I suggest check out the FAQ on diatomaceous earth at http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde .

5. Canuck

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 12:19:59
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged in TO,
    A thought - as the bugs you have found are close to the bathroom - sounds like this could be an entranceway to your apartment. Is the plumbing aligned with the downstairs unit or even the unit beside you? Most apartments share main lines and these can be bed bug freeways for easy dispersal. I would be checking in this area and sealing around the piping where possible; no easy job I admit.

Consider you did not bring them back with you via your luggage, particularily if your apartment was empty while you away. Could be they simply detected a fresh buffet (er, you and your dog) had opened when you returned to your place and they migrated from below or beside your place. Food for thought (sorry, but pun but could not resist. :wink:)

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus