1. dwldn

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri May 6 2016 8:20:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there

Feeling disheartened and desperate.

I live in London UK and this is the 4th time in 2 years we've had bed bugs. They seemed to go with each treatment but I recently read there has been a study which shows a clear link between indoor domestic pesticide use and childhood cancers. (http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/14/health/pesticide-exposure-childhood-cancer/)

Unfortunately my son was 6 months old when we had his room, cot and mattress sprayed 15 months ago and I only subsequently discovered this info out. I was also pregnant with my 2nd when we had just our room sprayed in November. I feel sick to the pit of my stomach that I have endangered my children. I'm petrified of putting them at further risk yet don't know how to deal with the new problem.

I have treated our main bedroom with DE but have been told it is not very effective.

The pesticides used previously were Stingray, Phobi Dose and Ficam W.

I just spoke to a very helpful PCO who said he believes Ficam W to be entirely safe. If he treated us he would also use K-Othrine.

Even if we just sprayed our room (currently no signs in the kids rooms) I'm still concerned about the risk. Are there any experts out there who know about any of the above or can suggest a completely safe option?

Thanks in advance

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri May 6 2016 11:47:55
    #

Login to Send PM

In the states, Ficam is no longer available. Pesticide is just one tool for bedbugs.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. dwldn

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri May 6 2016 12:04:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply. Are you referring to heat, freezing and steam? I did enquire into heating a couple of years ago and it was about £800 so it would be a last option and I'd need to be sure it was effective.

Are there any other options? Has anyone had success with DE on its own? Or is that wishful thinking. By the way I haven't seen a live bug yet and only just seen a few blood spots in the last week so I'm 'hoping' we've caught this one early.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07