(11 posts)
  1. ohgodohnonono

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 0:41:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Help!

I have just joined your unhappy ranks. Been living in my Brooklyn studio for ten years, came home from a five day trip and noticed a strange bug on my bed. Pulled back the mattress seams and--sure enough---eggs, shed skins, nymphs, and adults. This summer a tenant in my ten apartment building moved out, leaving her mattress on the curb. I had a sinking feeling about it, even though landlord claimed that her leaving wasn't bug related. My sinking feeling seems to have been justified though.

Landlord's exterminator came in today, confirmed the truth. Landlord does not want to inspect or treat other apartments, but will pay for extermination (with his chosen company) in mine. I have back issues, and so must pay someone else to do prep for me. Landlord's exterminator has proposed that they do prep, and instead of washing my clothing will bag it in plastic with vapor strips that kill bedbugs. I have an extensive book collection, which exterminator will also bag and vaporize. He is charging me $2,000 for this (which landlord will not pay as it is considered prep work).

I have a two pronged question: Obviously, I want bed bugs gone asap. But is the above treatment plan feasible? Also, if landlord is not treating other buildings, I worry it may be time for me to get the hell out of dodge, and instead put my money toward moving to a new place via a Vikane truck (recs, please???). Thoughts?

I know there must be dozens of desperate pleas for help each week on these forums, but I would be incredibly incredibly grateful for thoughts.

Thank you!

2. VictoryIsMine

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 3:14:36
    #

Login to Send PM

If I were you, if you're going to shell out 2 grand just on prep, you might as well use that money to Vikane your stuff in a moving truck. And, pay for a canine inspection to make sure your new place is clear of bbs.

If your landlord is not checking your neighbors, he can't be sure bbs are not in them--and if they are, they will eventually make their way back to your place. It would obviously only incur more cost, and a prolonged ordeal, which I can personally tell you really takes a toll on everything, health included, all due to high stress.

How much money do these people think we can just make appear?

3. ohgodohnonono

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 7:28:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm willing to pay the $2,000 to get rid of the bugs permanently. But that $2,000 is pretty much my entire savings account, so I only get one shot choosing one or the other.

My mother keeps suggesting that, even if I move, there's no guarantee there won't be bugs at the new place (or that bugs will not follow me there---but Vikane seems pretty effective, no?). But it seems like it's extremely probable that somebody has bugs in this building, and staying will only mean a matter of time until re-infection.

Is the Vikane worth the cost? Can they really kill EVERY bug?

Also, I have a longhaired cat. In order to keep her from transmitting bed bug or random egg, do I wash her in flea shampoo? Would that work?

Thank you all!!!

4. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 7:39:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Get a quote. 20 boxes and a smattering of furniture in my studio exceeded $2000 with a company that moved you and vikaned in NYC.

I agree it's your best option if you're paying and that's all you have. I was in a similar position and I definitely had to move in the end. Because I'd spent so much on prep vikaning was out of reach.

There is a risk that a new place has bugs already. I think the best cours for a new apartment is to find an apartment from a trustworthy friend that knows the building and it's history.

If you have disability, I'd check with that agency to see of you qualify for any help. You should also shop around for your prepwork. Maybe it's all the same price, but maybe it isnt.

5. BBFSTyler

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 8:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

That price seems a bit excessive for book prep (no matter the size of the collection). With a little bit of research and materials (from your local hardware store) you should be able to successfully box all of your books without too much exposure or escape. BBFS would recommend you use cardboard boxes and tapes all the edges/seams (we explained it in detail here). that way, if you do choose Vikane treatment for your moving truck (disclosure: we are one company that does this locally so of course we'd recommend it versus vapor strips for obvious reasons) you wont have to repack your books/items. The vikane will penetrate through the cardboard and kill the little vampires easily.
    You should receive a "Certificate of Fumigation" & "Fume Log" from your service provider that you can share with your future landlord to help alleviate their concerns about your moving BB in with you.

Getting a K9 inspection of your new place is very important as well. It helps to confirm that you aren't walking into another problem. This help Landlord confirm that the unit is clear/clean and that together you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck and Sleep Tight soon!

6. ohgodohnonono

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 8:21:38
    #

Login to Send PM

BBFSTyler, your was one of the companies I sent an email to not one hour ago. PMing you!

7. ohgodohnonono

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2011 18:53:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:

I've decided chancing staying in the apartment and not breaking the lease by moving at this time. Got in touch with Boot-A-Pest and will be working with them (felt so so much better about their inspection and treatment plan).

I want to thank everyone for responding! The responsiveness and customer service at BBFS was also excellent.

I will keep everyone updated!

Also, for what it's worth, Boot-A-Pest confirmed bed bug smears on the cushion of a chair next to my door and theorized that may have been the point of entry before bugs moved to my bed. I check out lots of books from the Brooklyn Public Library, and usually dump them right in that chair when I walk in. Of course, I also put my purse on that chair and leave my shoes beneath it, so who knows? But I plan on only purchasing new books from now on---figure the Publishing Industry needs help anyway.

8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2011 21:08:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a good plan. Getting that feedback was probably very helpful, and it will be great to know that you have a resource for future questions. People seem to be pretty much on red alert right after a scare like this.

I packtite all books that come in the house (or go out).

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  9. BBFSTyler

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2011 0:29:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Why not get a Nook or iPad instead of a Packtite? Best of luck ohnononononononononononono!
    Boot-a-Pest is a great company, are trustworthy and honest, and know their stuff. We always enjoy working with them (with great success BTW). Contact us if you need more answers, ideas or simply need a shoulder to (virtually) cry on...

10. ohgodohnonono

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2011 0:44:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Lol, I hadn't thought of that but you're absolutely right. I still want to hang on to my art book collection and rare items, but after this is over I'm saving up for a Kindle.

Fingers crossed. I wish more people posted their success stories in the forums---I've been reading them for courage and hope. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, right?

11. BBFSTyler

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2011 0:48:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Stay away from the light carolann! (Sorry couldnt help myself...)
    Yes, there's a tunnel and and end. You're close.
    I am in NYC tonight for New York Pest Expo tomorrow at Armory.
    Come by if you want to say hi in person!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 155 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993