Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Treatment tomorrow- questions!

(5 posts)
  1. stardog32

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 10:26:18
    #

Login to Send PM

For several weeks myself and my daughter had red marks, what looked like bug bites but not sure what type. I have steadily been doing (what I thought) were pretty good inspections of all of the beds in the house for bedbugs. Not that I had any cause to think we had them, but I just couldn't figure out where the bites were coming from.

Lo and behold 2 nights ago I checked my bed (that I share with my daughter) and at the head of the bed right on the sheet there they were. A few bugs, what looked like their eggs, and bed bug poop..I checked the other beds in the house - I did not see much evidence of them in one bedroom (but I know, they're probably there too) and the 3rd bedroom was loaded with them. That room has a wooded frame and they were in the crevices, on the rug that was under the bed, on the baseboard that was under the bed. I even saw a few in the corners of the popcorn ceiling. I didn't see millions of them crawling about but more than one was enough, and from the evidence left behind I know there are a lot more I can't see.

We have a pesticide company coming to treat tomorrow via spray treatment. Follow up in 2 weeks, 90 day guaranty. After asking them all sorts of questions I did what they said to do prior to treatment:
    --bagged up all clothes, blankets, towels and put them in the middle of one bedroom. I let everyone have a few articles of clothing to get them through until treatment. They said not to wash them until after treatment.
    --they said I could vacuum but to make sure I rinsed out the canister. I have not done this yet, please see my question below regarding why I haven't vacuumed

After all of this, and living on a few hours of sleep and lots of alcohol, I am beyond paranoid, disgusted and angry. I have some questions if anyone has made it this far, to hopefully get me through until treatment. If I phrase something wrong please bear with me. I am exhausted, hungover and sad.

1) The company said to wait to wash until after treatment because the fumes from the treatment will make it to the things in the bags, and kill what may be alive in there. Is this true? How can fumes make it into tied up bags that I have piled on top of each other?
    2) There are A LOT of bags. Can I haul them to a laundromat, would that be wrong for fear of infesting someone else? And possibly my vehicle?
    3) The company said "more than likely" my vehicle doesn't have a problem. After all of this I don't like the phrase "more than likely". I need to KNOW they aren't in there. Especially if I plan on hauling all of these "treated" bags to a laundromat.
    4) I really really really want to throw away all of our furniture and start over. However we cannot afford this. The company said their goal is to have their clients not have to do this. How many people have had successful treatment via professional spraying? By successful I mean not having to throw anything away. Though I think I may chunk the wooden bed frame and get a metal frame.
    5) They said to cover our huge fish tank with a few bags and they'll turn off the water pump. Is this really an effective way to protect the fish? The tank is huge and we can't temporarily move it outside.
    6) After treatment, we will be allowed back in after a few hours. Should I start vacuuming/dumping like crazy then, and for the rest of my life? What about decomposing bed bug carcasses that are in the furniture and mattresses, what will become of them?..ugh I can't get the thought out of my head.
    7) Any idea when this infestation started? We are racking our brains trying to figure this out, just so we know and in hopes that we don't get them again. We moved into this rental in November - the rental still had several belongings of the previous tenant and we helped move these belongings out. And I mean SEVERAL belongings - the tenant had a lot of stuff. We stayed in a hotel in January, my daughter stayed in one a few weeks ago. Other than that, we haven't bought any new furniture, and nothing used or on consignment.
    What is the best way to avoid "travellers" when we come back to the house after treatment? I'd hate to still have a live one on one of us and start this whole thing over again. Or are said fumes that should penetrate the bags mentioned above work on anything we bring back with us?
    9) I've read different reasons why heat is better than spray, and spray better than treatment. Please please please tell me that this spray treatment we're having done is going to work. We can't afford another round of this. After the 2 week retreatment are they going to be done with us? I will continue to check throughout the 90 day guaranty period. How can I tactfully get the company out here before the 90 days is over to get a professional inspection done?
    10) What about hard items in our house? Toys, lotions, books (can't they easily hide in them??), piano, makeup, toiletries, electronics...basically anything I don't have in bags. Will this treatment work on all of these items? Do I need to wipe them down after or once it dries everything will be safe? Even hair and toothbrushes??
    11) My daughter has a sleepover scheduled in a few weeks. I'm terrified of letting her go for fear of spreading the love. But it would break her heart if I told her no...Should things be ok enough for her to go then?

I'm sorry this is so long. I'm desperate for some type of reassurance from someone who's been through this. Now I constantly think I have bugs on me, my skin is always itchy. We've been sleeping in the living room and last night I saw one on an article of clothing I had on a box of books. So gross.

2. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 15:09:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Lots of questions and I don't have a ton of time so I'll number and answer.
    1)Not correct. Fumes from sprays will not make it into tied up bags. If they intend for you to leave the bags open so the bugs can crawl out and contact the residual, then that's something different, but not a good plan IMO. More on the residual later.

2) I think tying tightly should be ok. You have to be really careful not to snag the bags and put holes in them, too. I tied tightly then transported to laundromat ripped it open and poured directly into washing machine, then tied up the rip and threw the bag away. If you are going to have to sort the stuff before washing you should do it at home before treatment. Things you can't wash you can possibly heat with a heat box or with Nuvan strips in the bag (loosely packed if you do this).

3) Expert opinion here favors that it's not too likely that you have an infestation in your car. It worried me, too, though. I got a bed bug dog to sniff our cars, there was nothing. Deep vacuuming is typically recommended for a car.

4) Again, I understand the impulse, but not necessary usually. If the frame is really badly infested, maybe it would be a good idea, though. Wrap it up carefully before you take it out, though, so you don't spread bed bugs.

5) Sounds right from what I've heard here.

6) You have to ask your PCO about this, you probably shouldn't vacuum for a while so you don't disturb their treatment. Better dead than alive, just clean them up. I'm not the best one for this question, for all my anxiety about bed bugs, the bodies themselves weren't my particular issue.

7) It for sure wouldn't have been your daughter's stay a few weeks ago. For that many bugs it would have to be months. Who slept in the bed with the wood frame? With that many it seems like you may have moved into an infestation, but I'm not an expert. Either wood frame person brought them in somehow or they were there when you moved in, IM (non expert) O.

8 ) There are FAQ's about this, look them up.

9) Both spray and heat are treatments. Whether the heat or spray is better depends on the skill of the person doing them. They are both tricky to do right. They both have failures. The advantage of spray is that it leaves something behind for the bugs, but heat has a higher chance of being successful in one treatment, I think. But you still get failures for both.

One important note, though is that bugs are getting resistant to sprays, so sometimes even the best spray won't kill 100% of the bugs. The PCO should be doing what's called IPM, which means a whole management system, not only relying on spray. A good quality IPM system would be steaming the bed and close surrounding areas, then spraying, then putting down dust in key locations. This is very hard to find for PCO's and more expensive. If your PCO doesn't do that you can ask about applying Cimexa dust yourself with a paintbrush after your treatment. You can vacuum it up before he comes back if he wants you to do that. Cimexa is about the most effective thing out there currently. It can be the key between success and failure in my informed opinion.

If you did fork out the money for a heat treatment, there should be dust used after (again, I would suggest Cimexa) for stragglers.

10) Ask the PCO about this. The general idea is that they will come out and cross pesticide to eat. Cimexa in key locations is the best for this, I think. But maybe he'll make you process (heat or Nuvan strip) things close to beds or couches, I don't know.

11) You would have to have her put stuff on straight from the dryer, using a bag and all other stuff straight from the dryer right before you left to be safe. I wouldn't let my kids do it because of the risk. I just had them tell kids that we had some tough family stuff going on right now. If her friend gets them from you, you could get them back after you treat... just saying.

Good luck! And you'll probably get more answers in the future if you ask one or two questions in a post-- this was a little tough. There is lots of info in the FAQ's.

3. stardog32

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 15:59:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I'm sorry, I know I posted too many questions at once. I'm just so done with all of this already. And from what I've read it's just the beginning. I can't sleep or eat. I'm so upset and keep checking for bugs I can actually pick up and kill. I constantly picture bugs eating my children..

As far as the wood bed frame, we've had it for years, when we disassembled it to move, I didn't see any signs of bugs, though I wasn't looking for them It just seems to be where they are concentrated now.

4. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 16:34:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Who was sleeping in it? If it's a member of your family who moved with you then you probably moved into an infestation or got it in a moving van or something soon after. Because it takes a while for people's bodies to get sensitized to the bites, but the numbers you have seems like it would take a little while to get that many.

We all understand the horrible feelings and worry. We've been there . You'll get through it. One step at a time and ask questions here if you need to. Good luck.

5. stardog32

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 16:45:27
    #

Login to Send PM

It sat in a non used bedroom forever. Another member of my family moved in with us at our old house, for about 6 months prior to our move. We moved ourselves to the new house in November. I am an avid duster and since we moved ourselves I figured I would have seen them when we moved if they were there then. Not that it matters all that much now, i just want them GONE.

My daughter will be so sad to not go to the sleepover. I totally get why I shouldn't let her go. If one of her friends came over after such recent problem I would be livid. Yet another horrible part of this scenario, but not the worst. Picturing blood sucking creatures feeding off of you and the cost of treatment that probably won't work is much more problematic....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,909 posts in 50,061 topics over 155 months by 21,885 of 22,373 members. Latest: Delusionalparasitosis, kslone1006, Hex999