Treatment methods for NYC apartment

(3 posts)
  1. FoundASpot

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 16 2016 18:21:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I live in a one-bedroom apartment in a large apt building. I had bites, then found a bedbug on my couch, and a K9 inspection alerted to bugs in the couch and the bedroom (not in the bed, which I had successfully isolated). All neighboring apartments were negative.

I tried to hire KQ as my PCO, but there were issues with getting permission from my building.

I'm looking for another PCO now, and trying to make sense of the treatment options for apartments.

My building recommended a big company that uses freezing (I assume that's Cryonite?). The two most recent threads here about Cryonite are pretty down on it.

So what are the heat options for an apartment? Is "thermal heat" the same as "steam heat"? Are there other types of heat?

If I went with Cryonite and had them add pesticides, would that make the treatment more effective?

Or should I focus on a company doing thermal/steam/some other kind of heat?

Any other pros/cons I should keep in mind for an apartment?

Thanks!

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 17 2016 8:35:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Cryonite and steam are just contact killers. If the other apartments are negative, monitoring is probably your best long term option. Cimexa or DE could be used on the couch. I don't offer heat treatments and I don't consider it to be very practical.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. Shuvani

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 18 2016 21:37:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Try Mike with Knock Em Dead Pest Control: 718-662-1355. (I hope it's ok to post this info...I couldn't quite tell from the forum rules if it was cool or not).
    They service my apartment building, and treated me last week for bed bugs.

Here's what they used:
    To treat the house and bed, he told me he uses: Tempo SC and Bedlam, and Delta Dust at the end, which has a residual effect for nearly a year.
    To treat the bagged items (non-clothes), he puts a Nuvan strip in, and re-seals the bag. Bag to remain sealed for at least 72 hours.

I've felt like I've been in really good hands through this drama. Mike was genuine, no BS, knowledge, professional and kind. Definitely calmed me down, and logically made me feel like it was going to be all right.

Mind you, I'm still a couple of weeks away from unpacking my belongings after treatment, so I can't vouch for what the end result will be, but: he's been in the biz for 20 or so years. I asked him if he ever had to go back and re-treat a place after his original treatment. He said, 'Never', and I believe him.

Good luck!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,893 posts in 50,057 topics over 155 months by 21,882 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019