Treating waterproof polyester coats

(3 posts)
  1. fightingthefight

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 8:26:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I have two waterproof polyester coats that I need to treat. One is a heavy winter coat. The other is not padded. The care instructions say wash cold (no detergent) and dry warm. Will I permanently damage the coats if I either wash or dry hot? Or will I simply weaken the waterproofing in a way that can be easily fixed later with some waterproofing spray and another spin in a slightly cooler dryer?

What I am concerned about with the hot dryer option is that I don't know how long it will take for the heavy coat to heat through to make sure that I give it long enough to get it thoroughly cooked for 30 minutes.

As for the hot wash option, opinion is divided on the internet about whether polyester can be washed at 60°C (140°F). It seems that not all polyester is that same, or that some of it creases permanently when it is washed at a high temperature.

If anyone can give me any advice I would be very grateful because I am completely reliant on the winter coat right now.

2. SalsaVince

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 13:07:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have access to a large freezer that you could bag it up and stick it in for several days? (I think 4 is recommended). If not, another option might be a hand held steamer. I'm not sure if that would damage the waterproofing but I think it would be less damaging than washing and drying in heat for a prolonged time.

Tell me a success story, please!
    Vince
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 11 2018 22:03:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't use a freezer, that's not reliable. I think the biggest risk of polyester in the dryer on high heat is coming into prolonged contact with the hot metal drum. Skip the washing and put them in the dryer individually on medium heat, which is still well above the lethal level for bed bugs. If you're concerned about the thickness just treat for a full hour, there should be no issues with reaching temp.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,578 posts in 46,826 topics over 143 months by 20,660 of 21,557 members. Latest: Dread Bugs, gbbedbug, BuggedOUTinOH