Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Treating Severe Bite Reaction

(7 posts)
  1. buggyak

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Mar 5 2019 2:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I joined this forum several months ago when we had a light infestation. I'm thrilled to say that our house is clear of bed bugs!

Unfortunately, while traveling over the weekend, I was attacked by a vicious bedbug. I'm not surprised as the circumstances and location were pretty prime for the bugs, and in my job, it is not uncommon for me to stay at sites that have bed bugs. I've taken all of the precautions and am confident that they did not come home with me, but I still have one huge problem

I react badly to the bites: swelling, wheels, blisters, the feeling that my entire arm is itching when it's just a few bites in a localized place. Does anyone have any pointers for caring for the bites until they clear up? I usually rub some lavender/chamomile oil on it and pop a benadryl, but it doesn't always help and certainly is not long lasting.

Any pointers are welcome!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Mar 5 2019 2:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The only solution is to learn to always check the bed and therefore detect bedbugs before you get bitten.

I work on the basis that 1 in 20 hotel rooms has an issue which shows why avoidance is the primary message.

If you are having “blister” like reactions you need to see a medical professional for the most appropriate advice on symptom reduction.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. buggyak

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Mar 5 2019 19:05:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David.

Any tips for preventing bites when you're sleeping on a classroom floor in a sleeping bag?

It would be super helpful if you have any because that's usually where I end up sleeping when I travel for work.

4. SalsaVince

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Mar 5 2019 19:20:02
    #

Login to Send PM

That's great to hear that you've been bug free for months buggy! I was wondering how you were doing. You should post a little recap of your success story. It's a rather unique one under the circumstances. Regarding the bites, antihistamines and ice are the only things that gave me relief. As your mom always said, "don't scratch it".

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Mar 6 2019 9:43:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You are extremely unlikely to get bitten by bedbugs at night on a classroom floor because any bedbugs active in classrooms will be used to feeding in school hours only. Once a colony gets into such a pattern it will take 3-4 days for them to switch to feeding at another time of the day.

This is most noticeable with shift workers on rotating patterns.

Outside of that move all the furniture to one side of the room and sleep well away from it.

But as I said they are unlikely to bite you in a classroom at night and the sleeping bag means they could only bite exposed skin so the other option would be a tent inside the classroom to provide you with a physical barrier.

David

6. buggyak

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Mar 7 2019 3:02:35
    #

Login to Send PM

It's actually pretty common out here for bed bugs to end up in classrooms. Our school sporting events involve students traveling by plane from their hometown to another, spending the weekend on a classroom floor. Sometimes the bed bugs come with them. It's a common problem in rural Alaska. I was traveling for a large basketball tournament and came home with a few bites, so did several of the girls on my basketball team. If there was an infestation, the tournament was a week long, so that would have given the bed bug colony time to adjust.

Maybe next time I'll just wear my snowsuit.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Mar 7 2019 3:56:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The long term solution would appear to be education to stop people taking bedbugs to schools they are visiting to save not only them but the host school as well.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,812 posts in 48,204 topics over 149 months by 21,240 of 21,596 members. Latest: ltito, js2337a, Travelchecking