(5 posts)
  1. bridecker90

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 27 2017 23:09:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys,

I got bed bugs while traveling and even though I treated everything when I got home (hot washes and extra dries) I think they may have come home with me regardless.

I keep getting random bites that tend to very in appearance depending on where they are on my body. Chest and tummy area they appear to be small and scabby and don't itch. When they're on my neck, they almost look like mosquito bites. They itch for about an hour and then go away. I've gotten several on my arm too which are harder and have an obvious entry point. They also itch for an hour or so and then disappear. Most times I seem to get singular bites. Sometimes, particularly on my neck, there will be 2 bites next to each other.

I'm not 100% sure that I have bed bugs. I haven't found any stains on sheets, castings, or actual bugs. I'm just really concerned due to the bites that I've been getting.

I bought climbups for all the feet of my bed. I've dusted DE around my entire room and put a little bit inside the climb up interceptors - a very light dusting. I've bought encasements for both my box spring and my mattress. I'm ordering pillow covers now. I've washed all my bedding a couple times and have cleaned up all clutter. I've made a couple Williams method CO2 traps with DE in the pitfall and plan to make a few more.

I live in a house, not right on top of other neighbors. It's a two story house and I don't want it to spread to the other rooms. I live on the lower level. There are no other occupants down here. I don't have a head board but do have a significant amount of wood furniture in my room. I've put DE under all of it.

I read about neem oil and want to order some. I thought I could put that on at night which will deter them from biting me and hopefully into the CO2 traps. I wouldn't put it around my house, only on my skin to sleep at night.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the neem oil? Or my general approach in general? Does anyone have advice on passive traps? Different sprays? The active traps? Anything else that I should do? I am so desperate, if there's anything going on, I want to stop it now before it turns into a big problem. Should I start bagging things?

I spoke with a local exterminator about it who did not seem very knowledgeable on bed bugs. I am trying to avoid paying someone a lot of money to come and do an inspection.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 0:09:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not 100% sure that I have bed bugs. I haven't found any stains on sheets, castings, or actual bugs. I'm just really concerned due to the bites that I've been getting.

As hard as it is to hold off, I strongly urge you to get confirmation of the problem before treating further.

The problem is, if you don't know for sure that it's bed bugs, in your home, then you may be wasting your time and money, and you won't be solving the problem.

Bed bugs defecate nearby every time they feed. This will most likely be in a bed or sofa type furniture where you lounge.

If you find a stain you think might be fecal, some experts here may be able to ID it. They can ID suspected bed bugs, eggs or cast skins also.

I'm not sure how long you've been home but keep in mind that bed bug bite reactions can appear anywhere from hours, days to a week or more after you're bitten. Maybe you were bitten on the trip?

If new skin reactions keep appearing, a pro can inspect your place to hopefully find visual evidence. Bed bug monitors may help too. We have FAQs on those and other tools and methods, and the Useful Tools page may help also. But again, I would stick to the task of confirming the problem right now.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 4:33:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You might also want to read through the self treatment protocol I have made available online called TbyPMR which may cover additional tips but also explain common ways that people bring bed bugs into their home and how to tackle them.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 7:36:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't heard of neem oil on your body. But there's a neem oil based treatment spray called "Cirkil" or "Proof" that's supposed to work pretty well.

But nobugs is right, you should confirm that you actually have bed bugs first before treating for the problem.

If you do end up finding evidence, Cimexa dust works better than the DE you have been using.

5. bridecker90

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 16:55:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone!

The reason I feel certain that it's bed bugs is because I got them when I was living in Costa Rica. At the time, I was living in Chile. After I returned to Chile, my boyfriend had a couple line like bites and I also found a bed bug on a piece of clothing. I was there from September to December and during that time, although I only saw the one bug, I saw the orange stains typical of bed bugs on the sheets and also got bitten.

I came back to the states in December and treated everything. However, his family came to visit in February, a couple months later, and I believe they brought them with them. I treated their stuff too when they got here. This is the most disgusting swap we've got going on... ever.

Anyway, last night, after I made this post and went to lay down, I did see a couple redish/brownish specs on my sheet that I think was fecal matter. I also got bit once on the arm and woke up scratching at 5AM.

Does anyone has recommendation for sprays that I could buy?

I'm so traumatized by this that I dont mind buying the products. Even if they're not solving the problem right now, the bed covers and what not can be preventative for the future and I use diatomaceous earth in my garden.

If my efforts don't help and this doesn't stop within a month, I'm going to get a professional to come and try to find the source.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. I'm losing serious sleep over this.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,646 posts in 50,006 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa