Treating clothes and couch help

(13 posts)
  1. fedup

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 19 2008 10:50:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm moving out of my apartment because the landlord refuses to treat the apartment after the first treatment failed saying that it's my fault. I desperately don't want to transfer them so I'm throwing out my mattress/box spring but I'm trying to save the couch since it's six months old.

My plan is vaccum the couch, then cover it in DE and then leave it alone for a month in the apartment while the lease runs out and the bugs die. Then I'd have it professionally steam cleaned. Has anyone done this or think it would work?

Also, I'm having issues with some clothes that high heat ruins like nice sweaters and athletic gear. Will washing take care of it, or do I need to get these dry cleaned?

Thanks for your help.

2. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 19 2008 11:04:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes to your dry cleaning question.

I'm not qualified to answer your question about DE but it seems to me after all I've read that you wouldn't want to "cover" anything in DE. DE should be applied in a really thin dust and brushed or blown with a bellows into cracks, holes, crevices and only on stationary objects. DE is a dust and is airborne. It is harmful if inhaled.

3. fedup

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 19 2008 11:13:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Well when I said cover, I really meant with a thin layer of dust. After treating I wouldn't be around it for a month until I had it cleaned, and I'd of course be wearing saftey gear while applying. I'm just trying to figure out what I can do to the couch since no one around here will vikane a uhaul.

I don't think that there's much of an infestation, I've only been bitten on it twice and that was right after getting out of bed. What about just steam cleaning it. Is that hot enough?

4. fedup

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 19 2008 12:29:29
    #

Login to Send PM

On further inspections on the forums, I've decided against the idea of DE on the couch. I'll most likely be putting it in storage or tossing it depending on what's more economically feasible.

5. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 19 2008 13:15:01
    #

Login to Send PM

shrink wrap and store for 2 years? Idk, I'm sorry you're going through this.

6. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 14:05:51
    #

Login to Send PM

See if there is a thermal provider in your area that might do cntents?

Best of luck,

Tony Canevaro

7. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 14:37:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Or Vikane? Have you looked into Vikane?

I was thrilled with my thermal treatment, but Vikaning a U-Haul of goods seems to be more widely available, so I figure I ought to mention it.

(I haven't been around much due to work, so if you've already ruled out Vikane, my apologies)

8. fedup

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 20 2008 17:19:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I've started treating it with bedlam and I'm going to spray Demon WP underneath it today. At the beginning of next week I'm going to start decontaminating all of my clothes and moving them into the new apartment. So after everything is moved out, I have the opportunity to continue to reapply the pesticides at least weekly for a month. Hopefully since I'm only treating the one thing they'll be driven out of it.

Also, I've been diligant about vaccuuming daily. Most of the infestation was confined to the bedroom and I'm throwing out the entire bedroom set. I'd only seen one bug on the couch and I had just gotten out of bed when it happened. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but I haven't seen any other trace.

//Vikane was ruled out due to the fact that no one here does it for a non-house situation. I'll look into thermal.

9. gecko2008

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 22:41:47
    #

Login to Send PM

How can I effectively treat bed bugs with a cat and an 11 month old baby without having to stay somewhere temporarily while the bugs die i am worried about my son because me and my husband are covered in bites however we have yet to find the bugs. Also if i can not find where they are coming from and breeding then how can i start to get rid of them, and do i have to get rid of all my stuff like clothes and blankets bed, couches, and crib ? If so are there groups out there to help with the cost of replacing all of that important stuff cause with my current bills and baby i cant even begin to afford new stuff. If anyone has any answers for me can you please PM me or post back I'm very terrified over this whole thing.
    -very concerned mother

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 22 2008 9:52:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi gecko,

I would copy and repost your message as a new thread. That way everyone will see it.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. gecko2008

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 22 2008 17:41:51
    #

Login to Send PM

how do i do that ?

12. wigginonbugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 2:47:45
    #

Login to Send PM

highlight your whole post, then hit ctrl C, then go to new topic on the main board, type your title topic, then in the body, hit cntl V , and your post will be copied. hit send- viola!

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 15:44:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone who wants to respond to gecko2008 can follow the thread here:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/need-help-2

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,802 posts in 49,808 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991