Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

treating cars - advice?

(7 posts)
  1. buggedoutinbaltimore

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Nov 16 2007 15:28:38
    #

Login to Send PM

hi all. i'm working hard to secure my apartment unit by cleaning and inspecting, and washing, drying and ziplocking all of my clothing, but i am worried about my car. i spend a good amount of time for work driving around in it and i'm concerned that if bed bugs managed to sneak in there, then i may just bring them back into my apartment. can you recommend a preventative measure for cars? would a "bug bomb" be appropriate for that?

perhaps it is not really necessary at this stage - i recently learned that these critters may be a part of my life but have seen no physical signs, other than bites. i'm just trying to take every possible measure to limit my exposure to bed bugs, and discouraging their population growth, and i don't want to miss a thing! thanks.

2. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Nov 16 2007 22:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

We have bed bugs in our cars. (That's where they seem to chomp my son most). I called around to many PCO's and some wouldn't agree to treat cars, though some would. I had a PCO come today and he fogged my car. (Along with treating my house). Even with no sign of them yet, I would still be just as diligent in keeping them from the car. Perhaps vacuum it frequently and/or place DE or a residual spray (that can be used for that sort of thing) in the cracks/crevices along the sides of the seats, ...under the seat...wherever they are most likely to hide. (Do spot tests first though to make sure any product won't discolor your fabrics, etc.) Also, perhaps ask your PCO (if you've hired one) about your car. He might be able to spray there as well or make recommendations.

3. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Nov 17 2007 12:59:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you found one in the car? This isn't a common scenario but could happen.

Best thing for a car is a fumigation (not a bomb). Cars can be fumigated and it should be reasonably priced. Depending on where you are may depend on how easy this is to find. It's more common in the southern states but there are isolated companies around the country that have the power to do it.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Nov 17 2007 14:48:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you mean vikane gas, bugologist?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Nov 17 2007 21:25:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Yup, or whichever gas the fumigation company uses. Vikane is probably the most common.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Nov 17 2007 22:28:26
    #

Login to Send PM

We haven't heard of any others, so it would be interesting to know what some of those were.

Unfortunately as you know, people erroneously use the word fumigation for everything from perimeter spraying to bombs, and it causes much confusion.

7. kimesque

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Nov 20 2007 17:36:50
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO recommended a "no pest strip" I've been driving around with one in my car for two months(my bugs are almost gone? gone? NO more big welts; but I get small non-itchy spots now a days...) and it's helped (make sure you drive with the windows down to air it out when you're in the car...good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45