Treated 5 hrs ago. Should I go home?

(11 posts)
  1. Buglyn

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 26 2011 16:48:59
    #

Login to Send PM

So, my apartment was finally treated by the landlord's PCO today. They sprayed the couch and bed, as well as the baseboards and corners of the living room, bedroom, and closets, using Transport (a residual) and ExciteR (a pyrethrin). They also knocked some little holes in the walls and dusted them. I assumed they were using diatomaceous earth, but forgot to ask.

They closed the windows, and we left.

Anyhow, we were told to stay out for at least four hours. I've been camped out at a coffee place for five hours now. Should I go home? I want to know both:

1) If it's safe to go home (should be, since it's been more than 4 hours, but it's really humid today, and could be taking things longer to dry or disperse).

and

2) If the treatment is going to be less effective if I go home and open the windows sooner. If so, how long should I really wait? I would hate to negate the purpose of the treatment in any way (i.e., killing the little jerks good and dead).

I know I should have figured this all out before the guys left, but I was feeling kind of addled, and didn't manage to sleep much last night, in anticipation of today.

Any help much appreciated! Thanks!

2. Buglyn

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 26 2011 17:16:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, we have a cat. We boarded her for the day, so she would be safe. Anyone have negative experiences with bringing pets home too early?

3. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 26 2011 17:39:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Brought my cat into the apartment after 7 hours b/c the vet refused to board him anymore. (They were afraid of the bugs. We sat outside in the hallway with him in his carrier for 7 hours.) It definitely smelled pretty bad, and he had a coughing fit the next day. (He has cat asthma, too.) If you can, I'd board kitty overnight to be super safe. You can probably go home.

4. Buglyn

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 26 2011 21:30:49
    #

Login to Send PM

We were able to board her overnight. Even now, the couch cushions are a little moist, and I didn't want to risk the cat coming into contact with the pyrethrin.

After airing the place out a bit, seems okay for humans, though. My throat isn't feeling raw like it was when they were treating the place. Should be okay for her tonight.

5. Buglyn

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 26 2011 22:41:08
    #

Login to Send PM

And then, not so much: So the label for Transport says that it shouldn't be used on mattresses, and that you shouldn't allow people or pets to come into contact with it until it's dry.

Well, it was sprayed all over our mattresses, mixed with the ExciteR (which is okay for mattress application). We have two crappy mattresses that, stacked together, sort of equal one okay one. And one of the mattresses is still wet.

I think we shouldn't encase it, leave it to dry, and sleep elsewhere. My boyfriend thinks I'm being a crazy person. Then again, he's the one who has to work tomorrow, and who is skinny enough that sleeping on the floor will hurt for him.

So...am I being insane? Should we let it air out? Put the encasement back on it and put it back on the bed? Sleep on it? Not sleep on it?

I am so tired. Help.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri May 27 2011 1:09:41
    #

Login to Send PM

So the label for Transport says that it shouldn't be used on mattresses, and that you shouldn't allow people or pets to come into contact with it until it's dry.

I am NOT an expert.

However, if you're sure the product was used on the mattresses (or other areas), then -- even if they were dry -- that is a concern I would want to address with the managers tomorrow, and preferably before sitting/sleeping on those surfaces.

And if the surfaces are wet, on top of having been treated with a product that should not have been used on them according to labeling instructions, I would definitely not sleep on them.

Don't put an encasement on a damp mattress (I understand this may cause mold problems -- and the pesticide being damp could be dangerous to you also).

It was late (EST, anyway) when you posted. Not sure what time it is where you are but I hope you're okay.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Buglyn

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri May 27 2011 1:22:26
    #

Login to Send PM

We stood the offending mattress up against the wall and put a fan on it, and put an encasement on the other (dry) mattress. My boyfriend's been asleep for a few hours, and it seems to be alright so far. If the other mattress isn't dry by 8:30 a.m., we're going to try to dispose of it.

I'll definitely be calling the company in the morning to see what the story is. I wasn't watching the mattress spraying, but the couch was almost certainly sprayed with the stuff.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri May 27 2011 2:20:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Buglyn,

There will likely be more people who know about pesticides here in the morning and they may have more input on whether you need to discard anything.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri May 27 2011 2:20:32
    #

Login to Send PM

ps I hope you get some sleep!

10. Buglyn

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri May 27 2011 10:13:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I did go to bed, eventually, and have lived to tell the tale! The other mattress dried overnight, so we've encased it and laid it down. And brought the cat back from kitty jail.

That said, if anyone would like to weigh in on exactly how dangerous it is to have Transport on our mattresses and couch, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again, and sorry for the late-night panic.

11. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri May 27 2011 10:49:48
    #

Login to Send PM

If you get treated again, I recommend boarding kitty the night after treatment. It takes some logistical doing, but with two of you it shouldn't be a problem. . .one of you can drop him off the day of the treatment while the other one waits for the PCO.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,483 posts in 49,273 topics over 152 months by 21,594 of 22,016 members. Latest: evil11, Airbnbug, junojunk