Treat or wait and see? I'm pregnant

(4 posts)
  1. Nickiphilpot

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 18 2012 16:36:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I live in the uk and mid April came back from a hotel stay in Paris. About 5 days after we came back I came out in itchy bites that were in clusters along my veins, at least 50 of them. Once I looked up what they were I did remember seeing blood and dirt on the sheets and wondering how it got there but didnt have bites at the time. My husband never did have any bites. Despite this i Can't find any other explanation other than bed bugs and can't see where else I got them other than this hotel.

I contacted the hotel who were good about it, got someone in to look at the room but said nothing was found (I didnt imagine they would admit it) but that they had had the whole hotel treated as a precaution.

After the bites appeared I washed and dried all bedding and everything we'd taken on hot. I hoovered everywhere but thought I'd wait and see if we'd brought them home. All seemed fine until the last couple of nights when me and my husband have both had a couple of bites (about 3 weeks after our trip). I can't see any signs of the bugs despite doing a lot of reading on what to look for.

I'm pregnant and have a toddler so don't really want to introduce pesticides into the house but want the bugs gone before the new baby arrives obviously. I've read that heat treatment could be the answer but as I must only have a few bugs at this point is there any chance I can get rid of them myself? Don't want to spend a load of money unnecessarily but equally don't want them to spread and become a bigger problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated as its causing me a lot of anxiety.
    Many thanks
    Nicki

2. wontbugmywits

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 18 2012 17:59:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Nicki,

I'm in a very similar situation...went to a hotel, didn't see any bedbugs while inspecting, came home, and 2 weeks later started getting bite like reactions. 7 weeks later, still no sign of anything although I am getting bite reactions and so is another family member.

Unfortunately, you cannot treat without having evidence of bed bugs, that's the golden rule. In some jurisdictions, it's illegal to spray pesticide without physical evidence of an infestation. You're going to be looking for cast skins, fecal traces, or insect specimens. You can check the FAQ's to see some pictures. Since you are pregnant, I can't really expect that you would be able to take your bed apart and inspect, but maybe your husband can inspect the bed and see if he finds anything. Make sure to check inside the box spring. Also, you can put a passive monitor on the bed and see if something comes up on it.

As the experts here will tell you, every case is different, so there is no way of knowing which is the most effective treatment in your case without having a PCO come in and look. But don't treat until you find clear evidence as it could be something else that is causing the reactions.

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 22:42:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear nikki,

As you're in the UK, I think it best that we defer your case to our colleague David Cain who is located there.

My guess is that David will get back to you soon !

pb

4. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 22:58:31
    #

Login to Send PM

wontbug, it sounds like there is a possibility you may have scabies. They tend to show up 2 weeks after hotel stays (bedbug bites generally show up sooner, though 2 weeks is not unheard of). Have you entertained that possibility or read about it online?

Nicki, are there bedbug K9's in the UK? If so, you may want to look into that.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs