Traveling to Midtown Manhatten,

(14 posts)
  1. adapa

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 22:41:49
    #

Login to Send PM

How crazy am I? I'm in 'freaking freely mode' and ready to cancel our 3day stay in Midtown Manhattan hotel. We've got reservations at two hotels both have reports of BB's in the past summer posted on Traveladvisory.com. Regardless,I need to come up with a plan to deal with traveling.

I outlined a draconian plan to leave the hotel free of BB's to my husband. His response was "NO Way". I might have been a bit extreme in my outline of necessary precautions. I've rethought the procedures:

Put bags in bathroom
    inspect room & Bed, ask to switch if evidence is found.
    bag our luggage after pulling our room cloths & pjs out
    Keep the bags zipped at night & when we leave for the day
    don't put anything on the bed or leave stuff on the floor
    keep our laptops/electronics in zip bags when not in use
    Day of departure
    double bag all pj's & contaminated clothing in clean trash bags.
    leave disposable bags in room, double bag non-disposable bags.
    Put bags in clean shoulder bag
    Wheel luggage to van, put in the into contractor bags then into the car. (is this necessary?)
    What should I do with my purse? son's backpack? Husband's laptop bag?
    When we get home;
    The two guys strip & put clothes in waiting garbage bag, shower
    I strip, put on waiting clothes, put clothes in garbage bag
    I take the luggage one at a time & put contents into washer (hot water & dryer)
    What to do with bathroom or books, etc items? Can I put them into the oven @ 150 degrees for 4 hours?
    Put empty luggage into a freezer for 2-3 weeks (I've got a empty mid size freezer)
    I strip again & take a shower

Can I take anything out of my plan? is it over kill?

Any thoughts about the two hotels? Both hotels have reports of BB's in the past summer posted on Traveladvisory.com.

Hotel Pennsylvania
    401 7th Ave
    New York, NY 11215
    and
    Inn on 57th Street (holiday inn)
    440 W 57th St
    New York, NY 10019-3051

2. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 23:00:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I have t o go on a trip soon, which I don't want to do, and have been trying to formulate a plan as well. Isn't it just ridiculous?? But I'm doing the same thing as you - trying to NOT bring any home.

A few thoughts - don't know what you think of them .....

I'm buying laundry bags that disintegrate in warm or hot water - I'm going to have all my laundry sorted into these bags before I leave my last travel location so when get home can empty them directly into washing machine.

I'm buying luggage protectors - they are just like a mattress encasement except for luggage - also Protect-a bed brand. Maybe a garbage bag would do just as well, but might tear more easily. Going to put my suitcases in these in the hotel rooms. They come with a special bag to put the protector in when you leave, so can wash whole thing when get home.

I'm bringing double sided tape for my mattress and whatever else I think it might be good for. Maybe then won't get into my pjs etc. if in bed.

I might spray something like Kleen Green or something like that on stuff before leave /while gone / when arrive home etc.

Trying to think of ways to deal with cat/dog - they are staying with friends while I am away - their kennels etc - example not to put in car if/while car may have been exposed to bbs, etc.

We'll have to keep brainstorming for good ideas!

I can understand your fear - I am still waiting to find out for sure if I have bedbugs but know for sure the hotel that I stayed in recently does have them.

I really hate chemicals but was thinking of maybe requesting a room that has just been treated/fumigated? But then maybe there will be some left.........aghhhhh! I guess that's a bad idea.

Also - maybe get a Packtite for future trips. (Don't think you'll be able to get one for this trip as they are backordered.)

Good luck!

3. peppy

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 28 2010 0:11:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Adapa, your precautions sound pretty good to me. The one thing I would change is when you said you would keep your bags zipped when you aren't in the room. I would keep them zipped all the time, unless you are getting something from the bag.

I don't know anything about the Holiday Inn, but I would advise you to stay far away from the Hotel Pennsylvania. It gets absolutely horrible reviews on Tripadvisor and I think it is known to have a lot of bedbug activity.

4. Slides

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 28 2010 0:19:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I would say buy a packtite and carry it with you., but I think they're all on back order.

I wouldn't trust the freezer thing unless you know for sure the temps will be low enough to kill all bbs and their spawn.

5. adapa

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 28 2010 8:12:06
    #

Login to Send PM

123bugs@
    yeah, those dissintagradable bags sound good to me too.
    @peppy
    thanks for the hotel recommendations. And suggestion to keep my bags zipped at all times. Good ideas both. the Holiday inn seems to be the one.
    @slides
    yes, I do plan on ordering a packtite because I refuse to let BB's constrict my traveling. I plan on setting the freezer at 20 degrees & leaving every thing in there for at least 2 weeks, more likely 5 weeks.

I've had a fair amount of dealings with head lice & fleas over the years so I'm familiar with the processes of OCD bug issues.

6. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 28 2010 9:06:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Bags in BATHTUB not just the bathroom - in the center not touching the walls.

This is NOT overkill. If you bring them home you will wish you never went - trust me. I either brought them home from work and/or vacation and I still can't look at the lovely picture from that trip.

It will take a little extra time but is well worth it!

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 28 2010 9:21:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Honestly, doesn't sound like much of a "vacation" to me.

Inspecting the hotel room as best you can is a good idea, as well as being reasonably careful where you put your stuff as you unpack.

Other than that, why not just go about your business and then pack tite your suitcase and belongings when you return home. The exception might be items that you cannot pack tite (cell phone for example) which you could isolate during your stay with zip lock bags while not in use.

Richard

8. wheresthebs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 28 2010 9:27:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Agree that you should change hotels. BBs or not, that place is a dump.

9. adapa

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 28 2010 12:37:41
    #

Login to Send PM

@wheresthebs
    Yeah, it's a 'No Go" on the Pen. Hotel. If we go we'll be staying at the Holiday inn on 57th street. it's got decent Traveladvisory.com reviews and only 1 BB report on the the bedbug reporting site.

@Richard56,
    I can't get a Packtite by the time I leave for my vaka. They're on backorder. I will be ordering one soon but don't expect to be able to set it up until Jan at the best.

@bugnut
    Thanks for the center of the tub recommendation. I don't think it'll be over kill & frankly my family needs to get use to the process of traveling the a world with BB's.

Once I'm home, my only questions are;

What should I do with my purse? son's backpack? Husband's laptop bag?

What to do with bathroom items? Trust the ziplock bags & inspection? Everything will be in ziplock bags inside my bathroom bag.

Can I put items (books, backpacks) in my oven @ 150 degrees for 4 hours? nothing would be packed so I wouldn't really have to worry about internal temp and can certainly keep it in the oven longer.

10. WestSide22

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 28 2010 14:25:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't put anything in the oven - it's a fire hazard. However, you could put these items in the dryer. What I did with my purses was first wrap them in a pillow case (to protect the inside of the dryer and my purse hardware, etc.) before popping them in the dryer on hot for the full dryer cycle. I knotted the pillowcase and then wrapped a hair elastic around it for safe measure.
    Re: Bathroom items, I would just take travel size toiletries and toss them when you leave. If there's something you can't toss (medication, etc.), just keep them in a ziplock bag.
    Good luck, and I hope your travels are safe and itch-free!!

11. adapa

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 8:01:11
    #

Login to Send PM

d'ooh (palm to forhead)
    Of course backpacks/purse go into the dryer. Thanks!!

Do I need to worry about items like my wallet? Keep in mind my purse will go into a zipper bag when I get into the hotel room.

Any idea on how to treat books & magazines once we get home? We all read before bed.

Also, I use a portable DVD player on the night stand. (insomnia) I'm guessing that would be a great place for the BB's to take up residence.

I will be soooo happy when I get my packtite!!!

12. WestSide22

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 11:52:11
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're going to be worried about it, leave the DVD player at home and watch the hotel TV. Trust me, after walking around New York all day, you'll be exhausted anyway.
    As for books and magazines, peace of mind is worth more than anything, so toss the magazines when you leave would be my recommendation.

13. annie22

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 12:01:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hotel PA? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

14. adapa

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 19:54:08
    #

Login to Send PM

After much debate, we have decided not to go to Manhattan.

I thought we could do it without bringing any hitchhikers home with us but my family decided they didn't want to deal with the stress of going to the epi- center of the BB problem.

I asked them if they planed on staying in a hotel ever again....

We'll go to New York after we get a few test runs at other hotels &; get our packtite.

Thank you everyone who posted. I will use all the tips!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,179 posts in 50,132 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92