Traveling from hotel to hotel - suggestions

(9 posts)
  1. NOtobedbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2014 9:13:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,
    It has been 2 years since we encountered bedbugs in our hotel room. Thankfully I knew a little and even though made a few mistakes did not bring them home. I went through a lot of stressful times though and learned a LOT from this website over that time. We are about to go on a vacation to the East Coast (Maine, New York, Mass, Pennsylvania etc) and will likely be moving from hotel to hotel. I have a very difficult time checking a hotel room the way the video here shows. Everything is so heavy to move! I do my best though and keep everything in ziplock bags, in my suitcase, in a garbage bag in the shower or tub.
    Any suggestions of hotels, hotel chains etc to stay at on this trip? I realize any hotel can have them but their underlying philosophy is important. Are their any proactive hotels in that area? Any other suggestions? I really want to have a good time and not spend it worrying about bringing them home. Thank you ALL...this website and ALL the experts are wonderful. I have passive monitors in my home, and have the strips also for use.

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2014 10:19:13
    #

Login to Send PM

NOtobedbugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have a very difficult time checking a hotel room the way the video here shows. Everything is so heavy to move! I do my best though and keep everything in ziplock bags, in my suitcase, in a garbage bag in the shower or tub.

Ok . . . this is just a thought/plan I had formulated and had come up with for ME alone! I'm sure there are some pros (and non-pros for that matter) out there that will think this is a little over the top . . .

But just an idea I had thought about for me . . . for when I'm traveling alone and don't trust myself to be able to inspect a hotel room by myself (lifting the headboard off the wall as suggested for one thing)

any way . . . I thought I would call ahead to several pest companies in the area of where I would be staying to see if there is one that would negotiate a reasonable/decent price that I could pay to come inspect the hotel room for me! That way I would have peace of mind (very important to me to be able to enjoy the trip) and not have to trust myself to do the inspection.

Again, just an idea I was thinking about for me.

If you don't want to go that far, just check as best you can, keep your stuff in the bathroom/bathtub in bags, and follow the proper procedures upon arriving back home!

Good Luck!

3. NOtobedbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2014 11:03:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I believe in doing what needs to be done to feel comfortable with this subject. However, we plan on "winging" it and have no idea where we will be staying. We are going with another couple and they were actually with us on vacation when we had the bedbug issue so they understand and are very good about it. They actually called us the other night to tell us they bought a piece of luggage with no zippers etc, hard shell. They want me to let them know what they should/can do so I am comfortable. .. very nice.
    It seems there was a discussion on some hotel chains out east that I believe David or Paul thought were proactive.

4. proactv

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2014 18:26:43
    #

Login to Send PM

In one of the travel recommendations, I saw a suggestion to ask hotel staff to assist. I'll be doing that, as I am not very big - it would be a good education opportunity for them anyway - especially if you find something!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Aug 16 2014 0:20:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Funny story: the one time I actually removed a headboard, it would not go back on. This was not a fancy hotel (Best Western). Needless to say, I don't remove headboards anymore.

I do still do most of the items in the checklist, to reassure myself that if there are bed bugs present, there are not a LOT of bed bugs present. I still take precautions when I get home too, per the FAQs on travel.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. NOtobedbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Aug 16 2014 22:29:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I will re-read the travel section. I was hoping for some suggestions of hotel chains. It seems like I remember asking for recommendations because we had to stay at a hotel in the Alabama area and some of the experts said they didn't have suggestions for that area but they did for other areas like the east coast.

7. wonttellmyname

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 20 2014 13:12:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, is it best to expect every day? What if when we arrive, the room is clear but housekeeping will come each day and isn't it possible that bb can be brought it on the cart, or a towel or something like that? Thanks

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 20 2014 20:04:02
    #

Login to Send PM

wonttellmyname - 6 hours ago  » 
    Also, is it best to expect every day? What if when we arrive, the room is clear but housekeeping will come each day and isn't it possible that bb can be brought it on the cart, or a towel or something like that? Thanks

It's good to be alert. However, I personally wouldn't inspect the same room daily.

Keep in mind that even with a clear inspection, there may be a small number of bed bugs present, and so your plans should include steps to avoid bringing bed bugs home (per our FAQs) regardless of whether you saw signs or not.

9. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 21 2014 6:03:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure how accurate but there's this

bedbugregistery.com

Seems like it might be part of a bunch of things you can do to protect yourself.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982