Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Travel Questions

(5 posts)
  1. datgirl

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Apr 24 2019 12:48:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, everyone.

I'm feeling confident that my home is bed bug free and that my skin reactions are acne or an infection. However, I'm going out of town this weekend and again at the end of next month, and I have a few questions that weren't covered on the travel FAQ. I'm particularly concerned about this weekend as some Yelp and TripAdvisor reviews for my hotel report bed bugs (though most have been responded to with a follow-up from the resort reporting that an inspection found no bugs). Any advice is appreciated, and thank you in advance!

1) I would like to buy a bunch of Ziplock bags, including some XL ones, to protect my things from potential bugs. Can I reuse these bags for my second trip, or is it safest to just toss them? If I cannot reuse them, would a garbage bag suffice as a replacement for the XL Ziplock? The Ziplocks are expensive, but I'm concerned about sealing a garbage bag completely.

2) I was considering washing and drying my clothes and duffel bag before I leave the hotel. Is that a good idea, or should I wait until I get home, considering I may be exposed to potential bugs on the plane and other transit along the way?

3) Am I overthinking this?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Apr 24 2019 12:56:37
    #

Login to Send PM

1. Reuse
    2. Home
    3. Yes, but not completely.

3. datgirl

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat May 18 2019 13:05:38
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy, I apologize for such a late response, but I want to thank you for your reply. I took your advice during my trip at the end of last month and it did give me some piece of mind, especially since I found what I thought was a bed bug or bed bug shed skin on my pillow while on the first leg of my flight. (Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to photograph it for identification.) I kept everything bagged in the hotel room, bagged my purse while on the plane, and bagged my entire duffel bag before putting it in the car for the trip home. It's been about three weeks and I don't think I've brought anything into my apartment.

I am leaving for another trip on Friday. The good news is that I'm staying with a friend in a bed bug-free home, so I shouldn't have to worry about coming into contact with bugs there. However, I am flying again. After the potential bug encounter on my prior travels, I am extremely concerned about getting bugs on the plane, especially since I'll be traveling with a hardsided suitcase instead of my duffel and will be getting home too late to throw all of my clothes into the shared laundry in my building.

Here are my questions:

1) Is there any good way to treat a hardsided suitcase (with a zipper) without a PackTite or similar? I simply don't have the money or space for a PackTite at this time.

2) Would leaving the clothes I brought on the trip in a Ziploc for 18 hours or so until I can wash and dry them be a problem in terms of spreading bugs into my home?

3) On a related note, is there any way to prevent the spread of bugs on the clothes I am wearing after travel that doesn't involve heat treatment? Does brushing off clothes work? Using a lint roller? I work in a large office and take public transit daily, and worry about bringing home bugs that way, as well, so this would also help me in my everyday life.

4) Am I reaching the point of paranoia? I feel like I'm asking a lot of questions that most people don't even consider, especially since I don't think I've ever had bed bugs in my home.

Thank you all again for what you do, for your patience, and for all of your great advice. This place is a Godsend.

4. datgirl

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue May 21 2019 10:34:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm just bumping this up to see if anyone has suggestions re: my questions above. I apologize for being so persistent and taking up so much space here. As you can tell, I'm rather anxious about bugs and bringing them into my home. Thank you again for all you do.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue May 21 2019 14:22:34
    #

Login to Send PM

1. A visual inspection should work. I use a headlamp to keep both hands active, it's well worth spending $30 instead of $10 on a decent light.

2. No, thankfully bed bugs cannot tell time beyond night and day.

3. You can see bed bugs, so a lint roller wouldn't be of much use.
    3. b. You work in a large office and use public transit every day. In all of those days and all of those trips how many times did it not result in you bringing home bed bugs?

4. No, you're just taking the time to ask the questions, if you think you're the only one who wants to know the answers to your questions just check how many times this thread has been viewed and than subtract one for yourself and one for me.

I think you're putting too much into bed bugs, it would do you some good to actually read some of their history and biological functions. Once the sense of magic is gone you will have a much healthier perspective.

I started with locksmithing five years ago. At the beginning I couldn't tell you one thing about keys, I noticed that Schlages had a boxy key design and Kwikset had holes. After building locks successfully that mystique goes away and you see it for what it is, but for the most part keys are in the realm of magic to most people. If you only knew how easy Kwiksets are to pick, and the sloppy tolerance that they offer, and how nice and simple and smooth a six-pin Schlage deadbolt works for decades without issue.
    I don't know, I'm rambling, but I understand that keys are just something that people do not understand because they just find no interest in them beyond their service. Bed bugs are the same way.
    I keyed my house deadbolt to my Maintenance office key just to simplify my life, but if no one knows, then no one knows and it's not a security risk.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,416 posts in 48,817 topics over 151 months by 21,435 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson