Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug news and events

Toronto: Are bed-bug bylaws a good idea?

(6 posts)
  1. crossroads

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 6 2017 6:03:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thoughtful article looking at the bigger picture of whether or not all this new bed bug legislation makes sense.

http://www.macleans.ca/society/are-bed-bug-bylaws-a-good-idea/

In Toronto, the city is about to implement a bylaw to help get the problem under control by proactively requiring landlords to implement pest control programs and prohibiting them from renting any unit that has pests, namely cockroaches, bedbugs and rodents. The news comes as a victory to tenants unable to escape bugs and other vermin. The problem is, with the majority of rental units showing signs of infestations, cracking down on resilient pests in densifying metropolitan areas presents a dilemma. If the city is serious about withholding units showing any signs of pests, it means eliminating rental stock from a market that’s already tightly pinched.

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 6 2017 8:22:34
    #

Login to Send PM

While I think it's good they're taking steps to control the widespread issue and while I think it will cause landlords to be more on top of treating an infested apartment, I think it's a little unrealistic. It also raises a lot of questions.

How is it determined that an infestation has been cleared of such pests?

What if its been "cleared" but then after a tenant moves in, the pests reappear? Are the tenants going to be blamed? Are there going to be fines or such for the landlord if they are blamed for not fully clearing the property?

What about properties that can't be cleared for whatever reason? Will they just sit there unoccupied forever? Burnt to the ground or demolished after a period of time?

But then again, what other options are there? Let landlords allow people to move in and out of these places, spreading infestations and effecting people's life substantially?

There is really no right answer here, at least they are trying to address the issue. Regardless I think it should be required to supply the potential tenant with a report of the history of pests on the property and what was done to address the pest.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 6 2017 9:10:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like the type of law that should be implemented everywhere. As to "pinching" rental stock, sounds like a self serving landlord objection. I don't see a problem as landlord's will have a financial motivation to get the apartment pest free as soon as possible. The choice for them is simple. Pests equal no rent. No pests equals rent.

Richard

4. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 6 2017 12:11:37
    #

Login to Send PM

There should really be a law about picking up furnature from the curb. Both sides, people who pit them out should have to spray paint them all over so it is clear its infested. Then there needs to be a law preventing people from picking the furnature from the curb

Also tighter laws on second hand furnature. Mostly from goodwill. They should have it inspected before it is put out. Possibly even treated with steam first.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  5. crossroads

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 6 2017 23:05:31
    #

Login to Send PM

On balance I'm in favour of these laws, since the alternative will be a stratified housing system where those in the bottom part of the market accept they'll have to live with bed bugs. I don't want to live in a society where that's the reality. Would also hope that these laws will make landlords use pest control pro-actively and preventatively, which should drive down overall costs as eventually there'll be fewer serious (expensive) infestations to deal with, and could lead to economies of scale.

bedbugsbugme There should really be a law about picking up furnature from the curb. ...Also tighter laws on second hand furnature.

Several jurisdictions have such laws for mattresses now, e.g. Youngstown OH and NYC. http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/nyc-bed-bug-wrap http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/youngstown-issues-mattress-disposal-rules-to-battle-bed-bugs
    Haven't seen any mentioned for second hand furniture, it's a good idea. Also book exchanges should be regulated, unlike libraries they often don't have staff to properly inspect books.

6. crossroads

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 6 2017 23:16:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Correction, Ohio does have some legislation for secondhand shops. Here's a 2010 post by Nobugsonme exploring the limitations of it:
    http://bedbugger.com/2010/09/30/bed-bug-b-s-in-the-media-part-i-ohios-secondhand-stores/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,275 posts in 50,155 topics over 155 months by 21,924 of 22,420 members. Latest: duracell, Parawail, Quiltergirl