Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Introductions

Too overwhelming. Dont think I can do this.

(21 posts)
  1. wemightbecrazy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Oct 17 2015 22:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. I found this site today in my obsessive googling. I was hoping someone could possibly help me figure out how to deal with this nightmare.

I am literally losing my mind. We've only just found out we have bed bugs but I am already beyond emotionally unstable over it all. I have suffered depression and anxiety for years and could barely manage the task of cleaning our tiny apartment on a good day. Now we are faced with the task of preparation and treatment. Its too overwhelming. We live in a tiny apartment with WAY TOO MUCH STUFF. We even have an already full storage unit filled with things from my childhood (my mom keeps everything, its her unit, we just keep things in there) we have been meaning to go through and get rid of stuff but we never have the time. So now we are faced with a seemingly impossible task that has me literally paralyzed. All I can do is throw a few things in a bag before I find myself in a ball on the floor crying.

How do I do all this? How do I get such a small cluttered space clean enough to fight these things? This is having a truly scary effect on me. I have never been so stressed and overwhelmed in my life. Please help. I dont know what to do. I want to run away but i know they will follow us.

2. plshelp

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2015 4:20:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!
    First of all, what you are experiencing is natural! Don't feel alone, as others are right there with you. I myself was just so stressed from this that I stayed up fro 48+ hours. It sucks, but we can make it through this.

As for all of your belongings, there are several options.
    You COULD get rid of/clean every single item, which in its own right is effective; OR you could possibly look into a heat treatment. While these are costly and (like every other BB treatment) not 100% effective, there is a good chance that it can get rid of any BB that are "hidden" throughout the apartment. If it is a minor infestation (1-70 bugs roughly), you may not even need to worry about them hiding all about. The heat treatment also kills any eggs as well. Has a PCO came and looked at the apt yet?

It is also reassuring to note that, if it is a minor infestation, that they are likely not hiding ALL about the apartment. (If you are anything like me, you might imagine them literally all over!) They tend to stick to places very close to the bed (i.e. box spring, night stand, clutter on floor, wall if bed is against it) and don't like to exert the energy to make a trip, say, from the kitchen to your bedroom. However, if someone is frequently sleeping/resting in certain places, they may have a few spots in these locations.

While each case is different, paranoia makes use think of the worst- which is very helpful, as each case is different.
    Hopefully you have continued to stay in your bed, or at least your apartment. Refrain from using too many home remedies until in contact with a PCO!
    Hope this helps, and I hope you can get at least some slight peace of mind!

Stay safe and get to feeling better.

3. wemightbecrazy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2015 11:32:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

No, we have not had someone come out and inspect yet. I assume we need to tell our landlord about this first? Do they charge to come out and do the initial inspection? If so, do you possibly know how much that would cost? We have literally NO money. No credit cards we could put it on. I feel like we are stuck.

Right now we are trying to bag up everything we don't use often and put it in storage, where we will leave it for at least a year.

So far, I've only seen bugs in the living room furniture and on the bed. I saw no evidence around the furniture in the living room. Just in it. And all I found were live bugs. No eggs, shells, nothing. Haven't inspected the bedroom yet. I am desperately hoping they are only IN the furniture so far. Is that possible? Or am I being naieve?

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2015 12:13:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Where ever you find the most number of bugs is usually the location where they originated. Can you ask to have the adjacent units inspected?

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  5. wemightbecrazy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2015 13:25:17
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 1 hour ago  » 
    Where ever you find the most number of bugs is usually the location where they originated. Can you ask to have the adjacent units inspected?

I plan to ask about that. They are mostly in the couch where we spend most of our time and sleep fairly often. I didn't see any traces of eggs or anything just the bugs themselves So I'm unsure how bad it is. What I'm worried about is them getting into everything else. If we could treat just the furniture and bed I think I can retain at least some of my sanity but if we have to bag up and treat everything in the apartment I will not be able to hold it together. We just have way too much stuff and can't afford to throw everything out and buy new things. We broke the bank just buying encasements and stuff for diy treatment. And the thought of throwing out all my daughter's things is heartbreaking.

6. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2015 15:02:09
    #

Login to Send PM

At this point, it sounds unlikely they are in your personal belongings. You would have to have a very large infestation for that to occur. Early detection is key for bedbug control.

7. plshelp

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2015 16:00:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, tell your landlord. Depending on where you live, they may be legally obligated to take care of it for you. Even if not, it is good to let them know. A lot of places do free inspections, but that is about all that is free, sadly. Even so, it is better to get inspected by a PCO and get professional advice then not. Do some research/call pest control companies around you. If multiple do it for free, I found it helpful to have TWO of them come inspect, as one guy that came to my apartment didn't even take it seriously compared to the second group; you never know! If inspections cost money, they are likely to be relatively cheap, as all they do is shine a light around and inspect everything. All three pest control companies in my town offered them for free, however, so hopefully that is a common trend. Just do some google investigating/call and let them know your situation! (:

Like stated above, if you haven't found an awful number of them, they are likely not in your personal belonging, unless left on the floor close to furniture for an extended period of time. Anything on the floor, while not harboring live adults, may have eggs. If any of this is safe for a HOT dryer (i.e. purse, backpack, etc.), I would go ahead and throw them in to be safe. If not, bag them until you can get a PCO's opinion.
    Bedcovers/box spring covers are also extremely helpful (although there is minor controversy over this) and may give you peace of mind that if they are IN your bed/boxspring then they cannot get out at night to feed/ it will be harder for them.

Inspect your box spring, especially. And take photos of them/keep a live one for the landlord/PCO! They LOVE the folds of fabric in boxsprings and mattresses. It is not uncommon, if there are holes in your mattress, for them to be inside this as well! Anything within a foot or two of the bed may also be a hotspot, such as a night stand or headboard!

It is possible for them to be only in your furniture, if it is a mild infestation and depending on how long they have been there. There is a high possibility of eggs being knocked off/moved somewhere else, but assuming they hatched and could make it to their first meal they would begin to hide in similar hot spots as the others!

8. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2015 17:32:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I completely agree. And don't think that all companies inspect equally well. I've seen cases where 'big name companies' didn't really look that hard for evidence and there were bedbugs. A good inspection is going to take at least an hour. Finding them is half the battle.

9. wemightbecrazy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2015 18:37:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Omg huge thanks to both of you. I feel a little better just hearing someone from here say that they might not be in my things, just the furniture. unfortunately, our bedroom was a total mess at the time of infestation, so we're going through and bagging everything up from in there just to be safe. Only problem is its just so much stuff. Its so overwhelming. I keep having to take breaks where I leave the room and just cry uncontrollably.

I've always had a hard time getting rid of things and trying to deal with the stress of the bugs themselves AND being forced into having to decide what to keep and what to throw out, its just breaking me.

10. plshelp

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2015 19:54:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Please try your best to get someone professional to examine your stuff!
    All of this stress may be for naught, as 3/4 of your things may not be infected if it is minor!!

Obviously, the safe route would be just to clean, kill, and rid of anything infected- but with help, you may not need to be doing some of that work and can save yourself some tears! (:

Most of us have been there on the brink of insanity due to these bastards, so just keep trying your best to remain sane!

11. wemightbecrazy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2015 21:22:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I am happy to report that I'm feeling a little more sane now. We've managed to bag everything that was in reach of the bed and furniture and are now doing what we can to self treat for the moment. We have vacuumed the living room furniture thoroughly and are in the process of doing the same to the bed. My husband is working on that while I am steaming the living room. So far we have seen no bugs or evidence of them. This makes me very hopeful that we caught this early before they moved from the furniture and started breeding. Once the steaming is done, we will dust some DE in the crevices and encase the mattress, box spring, and pillows. Being at this stage has given me back some of my sanity and I was even able to take a nap on the couch (which I haven't even been able to sit on since finding the first bug).

Tomorrow I will most likely be taking off work to talk to the landlord and see about getting an inspection done, as well as starting the washing/drying process on the clothes and linens. Pray for me people lol. This is looking good so far.

12. plshelp

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2015 22:59:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm glad you're starting to feel a bit better and will have a chat with your landlord! (:

Hopefully they can figure out a cheap plan of attack; bed bug treatments can be rather costly. It seems all equipment for ridding of them is in the hundreds of dollars, minus detectors and covers. ):

13. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 19 2015 9:23:57
    #

Login to Send PM

The pricing for bedbug treatments is all over the place these days.

14. wemightbecrazy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 19 2015 14:59:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a little update for anyone interested.

It has been over 24 hours since we've seen anything. Last live bug was on the chair saturday night. Even during all our cleaning, we never saw anything. I checked everything this afternoon and still nothing. Not even in the climb ups. Heres hoping we just had a few random bugs!

15. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 19 2015 19:20:30
    #

Login to Send PM

wemightbecrazy - 1 day ago  » 
    Omg huge thanks to both of you. I feel a little better just hearing someone from here say that they might not be in my things, just the furniture. unfortunately, our bedroom was a total mess at the time of infestation, so we're going through and bagging everything up from in there just to be safe. Only problem is its just so much stuff. Its so overwhelming. I keep having to take breaks where I leave the room and just cry uncontrollably.
    I've always had a hard time getting rid of things and trying to deal with the stress of the bugs themselves AND being forced into having to decide what to keep and what to throw out, its just breaking me.

You really shouldn't have to get rid of anything because of bed bugs. Almost everything can be treated, so definitely don't get rid of something you will just end up replacing. Of course, if you are getting rid of things to simplify your life, that's another matter. Just make sure you mark them as potentially infested when you do throw them out.

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. If you do find anything, please take a picture an post it here so one of the pros can properly ID it for you.

Also, it's a good idea to run any proposed treatment ideas by the pros here too. I understand you and your landlord may want to go "cheap" but just make sure they don't do something like using a fogger that will just make the situation worse.

I hope this helps.
    Melanie

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.
  16. wemightbecrazy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 20 2015 12:17:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again to everyone.

Another little update. Heard back from the landlord. He seemes freaked and very ignorant. He had no idea what he was supposed to do. Not very reassuring. He told me he would get some quotes on having an inspection done and in the meantime, told me to keep an eye on the climb ups and if I see any more bugs to let him know immediately and he would try to get someone out here sooner.

I really hope we don't see anything else. Otherwise, he better get someone out here asap. I was hoping hed at least have someone inspect the place so we could have an idea how bad it is.

17. plshelp

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 20 2015 14:59:12
    #

Login to Send PM

That's the worst part about the bed bug process- the waiting.

Waiting for treatment, waiting for bites, waiting to see more, etc...
    It is enough to drive you crazy!!

18. wemightbecrazy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 20 2015 23:59:35
    #

Login to Send PM

plshelp - 8 hours ago  » 
    That's the worst part about the bed bug process- the waiting.
    Waiting for treatment, waiting for bites, waiting to see more, etc...
    It is enough to drive you crazy!!

It really is! I hate it! I feel like every day we don't get a pro in here, we are giving them time to take over!

19. plshelp

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 21 2015 0:10:02
    #

Login to Send PM

And every little oddly colored, microscopic patch of skin is DEFINITELY a bite. And you obsessively check yourself for bites. And check everywhere for them.

And you turn up empty but you KNOW they are there.

I actually woke up last night with one on me; I proceeded to have basically an anxiety attack from 3 am to 6. I just really, really want this to be over.

20. diebugs2014

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 21 2015 14:28:22
    #

Login to Send PM

plshelp - 14 hours ago  » 
    And every little oddly colored, microscopic patch of skin is DEFINITELY a bite. And you obsessively check yourself for bites. And check everywhere for them.
    And you turn up empty but you KNOW they are there.
    I actually woke up last night with one on me; I proceeded to have basically an anxiety attack from 3 am to 6. I just really, really want this to be over.

I am praying for all of us.

21. wemightbecrazy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 21 2015 22:00:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:

We found where they were hiding out in our chair in the living room. There was a gap in the wood decoration on the outside. Inside we found fecal matter, one live bug, and about 10-12 eggs.

=(

We bagged the bug and steamed the wood. It had already been steamed once. I think we are going to go ahead and get rid of the couch and chair. We probably won't take any furniture with us when we move either just to be safe.

I am harrassing the landlord about getting an inspection.

Question. Based on how many eggs we saw, can anyone give me an idea of how long they've been here? What is the likelihood they have hiding spots in other places? There are still no bugs in the climb ups or in my daughters room that we can see.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox