Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Too many possible causes of bites! Thoughts?

(7 posts)
  1. Notustoo

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2015 6:50:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all

Apologies for the lack of concrete info in what I'm about to say!

I've been having bite like reactions and a rash for a few months but am VERY confused about what could be causing them. This is why...

1. About 5 months ago I started getting bites.
    2. We started monitoring but found nothing (but we didn't do it long)
    3. We found lots of toxic mould in the house. I then thought it was this that was causing my skin reactions.
    4. We moved out while the mould remediation took place.
    5. We stayed in a hotel for 3 days (we bought new clothes and took minimal belongings). Bites continuing.
    6. I then stayed with a family member for 2 weeks. Again i took freshly laundered clothes in a plastic bag. Bites continued but I then found fleas in the house! They have a cat.
    7. Moved to stay with another family member. With bites continuing (as well as itching all over and red rashes) I treated the house with flea spray (in case i brought them with me). Bites continued. I searched the room and found a carpet beetle cast!
    8. We are now staying in a holiday cottage and the rashes/bites did seem to have subsided a bit but last night I woke up itching all over and found 9 bites on my thigh (under loose fitting pyjamas).

So what's the most likely culprit??

- mould?
    - bedbugs?
    - carpet beetles?

I'm hoping that it's unlikely that enough bed bugs to give me 9 bites in one sitting would manage to travel between 5 different properties when I've been washing everything and carrying stuff in plastic bags.

What do you guys think?

2. bbnewbie123

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2015 12:03:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bite reactions alone are never enough to confirm bed bugs because it could be another skin condition or another cause. The only way to confirm bedbugs is by inspecting and monitoring and finding either live bugs, fecal traces, cast skins, or eggs.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2015 12:06:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I would look at other causes. Three years ago I developed some pretty serious allergies seemingly out of nowhere. The fact that the irritations happen at all locations would point to a different culprit.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  4. bbnewbie123

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2015 12:13:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks BD. And you could always go to a dermatologist to look into your skin condition.

5. Notustoo

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2015 16:39:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks both.

We've seen no concrete evidence of bedbugs, but it's been so chaotic recently that we haven't been able to use the passive monitors we bought a couple of months ago. Hey ho. I'll start investigating other things.

6. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2015 17:09:11
    #

Login to Send PM

What kind of passive monitors? Seems like setting them up would be less trouble than moving place to place?

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  7. Notustoo

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2015 22:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Ha! Yes I know :-/ We're not moving from place to place because we're worried about bedbugs! We've had a major problem with leaking pipes and mould in our house so have had to move out while it's fixed. That's why we've been staying with family, and why we haven't had a chance to monitor properly.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,581 posts in 46,607 topics over 142 months by 20,556 of 21,424 members. Latest: Me33, csinsdca, Takeabreath415