Too circumstantial to suspect bedbugs?

(5 posts)
  1. abr09

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 29 2012 21:23:38
    #

Login to Send PM

After reading through many threads and seeing all of the knowledgeable, thoughtful, and helpful responses, I just wanted to thank those of you who are helping so many people with this issue.

My story is this: I moved to a huge apartment complex in the heart of Dallas about three months ago. Mistake one.. But anyway, every few weeks or so, I will wake up with lots and lots (this morning was a new record of 23 bites below the waist) of large, clustered, and oh so itchy bites. From extensive google-ing, I think I can conclude that they could be from bed bugs. It is never just one or two- either at least 15 or none. Also, they are always below the waist. My apartment guaranteed that my unit had been treated before I moved in, but through my research I've gathered, that's pretty useless in the long run (since they only get treated one by one). I got a new mattress and box spring about two weeks after I moved in. No furniture came with us, all new.

So. I've searched and searched for evidence of an infestation. I can't find anything though. Is three months or so not long enough for the signs to become obvious to the untrained eye? Does the fact that the bites are inconsistent rule out bedbugs? Or could they occasionally come over to my bed from some other unit when their blood supply is out for the night?

Since I got bit sometime last night, tonight I am going to put double sided tape all around everything within two feet of my bed and see if it catches anything. But since this is so inconsistent, I'm not sure what I can conclude from my findings. I will update tomorrow. But if anyone could provide any helpful information one way or the other I would truly appreciate it!

2. abr09

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 29 2012 21:30:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I forgot to mention that it is a two bedroom, but my roommate has never been attacked like I have. The walls to her room are exterior except one, mine are all interior, sharing two of them with my neighbors.

3. edtt

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 29 2012 23:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

hi abr,
    I am not an expert, from what I know with that many bites recied regularly for 3 months, you would see signs of bb's.
    I am assuming you have checked the FAQS section and know what to look for.
    have you considered fleas?

perhaps an expert will offer their opinion soon
    sorry you are going throught this

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 29 2012 23:22:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Read the first four FAQs -- especially
    information about detecting bed bugs. You need something more than skin reactions
    (which may have other causes) to go by.

You may also want to see a doctor about other possible
    causes.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 30 2012 8:25:16
    #

Login to Send PM

6. Hi,

Given the extent and duration of activity I think if you feel you have conducted an extensive search and found nothing that bedbugs are not very likely.

After 3 months there would be lots of signs such as:

• live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

The longer you go without these signs the less likely it is to be bedbugs as I have never seen them pop into one property for food and then return to another.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,668 posts in 49,313 topics over 152 months by 21,611 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE