Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Too afraid to return to my home

(9 posts)
  1. Scaredykate

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 7 2018 12:05:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Two weeks ago, I found bedbugs on my mattress while adjusting my mattress topper. I told my apartment management and they sent me a PCO to treat almost a week after my initial discovery. During that time, I lived at my boyfriends house and only went to my apartment to prep for the exterminator. While I was prepping I found another dead bedbug in my closet, and another live one crawling on my mattress. I kept these in a bag in case anyone needed proof. The PCO came and sprayed, and when I returned I found no signs of bedbugs even though I have looked throughly in all nooks and crannies. I have also thrown away all my blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, my bathmat, half my clothes etc. anything i broght to my boyfriends house was washed and dried twice, and put into 2 gallon ziploc bags and kept in my car in the 90 degree heat. I still dont feel safe. Its been a week since PCO treatment and I still cannot sleep there. My boyfriend helpedmy put a cover on my mattress, and even gave me some muscle relaxers to help me sleep. He is telling me that he needs me to sleep in my own apartment now. I cant, im too afraid. I know they are somewhere hiding, waiting for me. How do I get over this fear and sleep in my apartment again? This is destroying my relationship, my grades at school, and my job performance. I feel totally displaced, like a vegabond.

2. TedB

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 7 2018 13:03:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel you. I'm going through the same situation. If you suffer (at all) with anxiety, bed bugs will maximize your anxiety. It's awful. You're not crazy. You're not alone.

3. micachica

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 7 2018 16:20:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Believe me I know how hard it is to be in your bed let alone sleep when you’re being treated for bbs. I had them for over a year with many many treatments by several PCOs. The reason you have to be in the bed is to lure the bugs to come to you and walk through the treatment and die. For me, it meant a few shots of whiskey and 2 zzzzquills and an anxiety pill before bedtime. I spent about 6-7 hours in bed and only like 1 hour of that time asleep. I’m not recommending you do what I did but without you being at home there’s not much pointing them toward your bed. I’ve heard of people being paid to sleep in B.B. infested homes that might be something to research in your area. Would your bf be willing to come sleep with you at your home for a while? With a B.B. home only set of clothes and a ziploc full of B.B. free clothes he can wear to work and outside the home? Bbs sure are a pain. Especially when you have to be bait!

4. chicago1994

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 11:41:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel you...completely. The anxiety, in my opinion, can be the worst part of all this.

I suggest that you make your bed an island--this helped me sleep a bit calmer at night. Get ClimbUp receptors to put on each of your bed frame legs (they're available on Amazon if you just search for them). The outer ring of the ClimbUps are supposed to catch the bed bugs that try to climb to your bed. However, on the inside ring of the ClimbUps where the bed frame legs go, I also put some Diatomaceous Earth powder (also available on Amazon) just in case any bugs got through the outer ring. This will poison and kill them, but is safe for you as long as you don't inhale it. Then, make sure that no blankets, sheets, pillows, or anything on the bed touches the floor. You want to make it so that the only way these bastards can get to you is by going through the ClimbUps.

Also, just to note, make sure that your mattress and box spring are both encased by a bed bug proof certified mattress encasement. Thoroughly inspect it for any holes, to make sure that the bugs that are trapped inside the encasement can't get out.

I hope that this maybe helps you get some piece of mind. This sucks, but know that you're not alone and it WILL get better!

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 12:46:27
    #

Login to Send PM

They're just insects. Annoying as hell, but in the end just insects. Go sleep in your old bed, you'll be fine.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  6. Scaredykate

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 15:38:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words! I’m going to throw out my old wooden bedframe (lots of real estate in that thing) and buy a metel one with climbup intercepters on the legs. Also got all new sheets and a pillow protecter! Hopefully once I get all that set up i can sleep in my bed Until then...I'll have to annoy my boyfriend for a little longer lol. The PCO said he saw no sign of bbs in any other furniture...but im windering if I shiuld throw everything out anyway to be safe??

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 16:02:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Stop throwing things out, it's not healthy or helpful.

8. Scaredykate

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 16:29:32
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Stop throwing things out, it's not healthy or helpful.

How so? If I get infested things out there will be less infestation right?

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 16:45:28
    #

Login to Send PM

You hired a pest control technician to get rid of the infestation, trust him. There are certain items that I will discard when doing treatments, but it is discussed with the resident and generally the item is in such a state that it should be replaced or discarded anyway.
    Wicker and sofabeds are the two things if given the choice I would rather discard than treat, but I hate both of them for other reasons too.

Assuming that throwing things away as a means of vermin control can be a slippery slope, best to discard items that really are in poor shape to begin with.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,534 posts in 45,810 topics over 139 months by 20,174 of 20,973 members. Latest: busbugs, jklyczek, Thisguy97