Tired, support, ideas, advice needed

(8 posts)
  1. Alldara

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jun 29 2013 6:01:06
    #

Login to Send PM

So we live in an apartment building and one year and one month ago our friend gave us the worst present in the entire world: bed bugs. We had no bites before we spotted one on our couch. IDed it on the info page, called the landlord and two days later we had fumigation round one.
    Called our friend who had them before got mucho advice from them, the forums and family. Threw away the offending furniture, got four bites in two weeks (we both get big reactions) and got fumigated a second time. No bites in two weeks and a third fumigation and we were home free (haha). We waiting two more bite free weeks before unpacking.
    So no bites and two months later...we found one. So our apartment building has already told us we could be evicted if we need fumigation again (illegal yes I know). But we also know that the fumigation might not work on the super BBs from T.O. So we begin to look at other options.
    So to answer your questions YES they ARE bed bugs (professionally confirmed). We had cockroach scouts at a previous apartment (professionally confirmed, sucessfully moved and left behind), and we're both paranoid looking around constantly for the little buggers and have slight OCD. So we find the BBs fast and can also spot eggs and nymphs. So we blocked off one room of our one bedroom apartment and are using the rest as a bachelor. We already had a HEPA filter vaccum. Bought a certified BB killer steamer (confirmed in action) and have bought bins for our clothing (some bedding etc is bagged still). We have vaccum sealed some other things and are currently ziplock bagging and blow drying our extensive book collection. Two night ago we threw away an infested object. We are too exhausted to steam everything all the time and are purging unnessesary things to become minimalists. Last night there was no rest for the weary: kill count is 35, mostly nymphs, three adults. Bed frame is gone, matress has a BB protector as do pillows and the room is lined with food grade DE. I know two bookshelves and a desk in the room have BBs. They will be washed, steamed and thrown out (steamed to not give the problem to someone else). Does anyone else notice increased activity after moving furnature or cleaning? We are now at the point of getting multiple bites a night each. Were tired, not sleeping and not sure where to go from here.
    Any suggestions need to be cat and rat safe.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jun 29 2013 11:10:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear alldara,

OK, truthfully, I'm kinda-sorta adhd so I only skim read your post above but I think I got most of it.

Then again, if you post specific questions in reply, I'll answer them asap, promise.

It seems your bed bug hunting expeditions are yielding some results but you need to continue the hunt and fight the good fight.

What it seems you do need is an old fashioned "good night's sleep". Here's some suggestions for your consideration:

> if you can afford it, and note that I only recommend this for folks who have the financial resources to get one, you can purchase a Nite Safe which is a bed bug proof sleeping tent. In this way you can sleep knowing you won't get bitten.

(Note to all: I have a professional relationship with the manufacturer of Night Safe, Mattress safe.)

> a much less costly option would be to purchase suitably rigid clear plastic sheeting, say 4 to 6 mils thick, and drape it over your bed such that the perimeter edges extend beyond the edges of the mattress in a downward fashion. Note that the plastic sheeting must be smooth enough that bed bugs have difficulty climbing the sheeting and are unable to get to you or your bedding materials as you sleep.

> You could also enclose yourself in either a glass or stainless steel sphere but that's a tad extreme, dontchyathink?

OK, back to bed bug hunting:

> Know that bed bugs do what bed bugs do. So, you need to read up on this. A smarter hunter/destroyer is a more effective bed bug killer !

> Basically, you need to hunt the bed bugs down where the bed bugs live/harbor. We already know where these places are and on the resources pages on this site list them.

> There are may ways to kill and eliminate bed bugs but you need to be thorough.

We're all rooting for you, don't give up the good fight !

Any additional questions or concerns?

Hope this helps ! paul b.

3. Alldara

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jun 29 2013 21:28:08
    #

Login to Send PM

We do have a matress cover...cant afford the tent atm
    Do we have any confirmation that a HEPA filter (kills cockroaches with heat) kills them? Ive sucked them up and when I vaccumm I wont see any for a day or two and bites are reduced for a few nights (gotta be vaccumming everyday but some nights Im too exhausted.)

When I move furnature to hunt we get bit more that night and see more that night: why? Is it normal? note:seeing and killing them ON the bed after.

Ours dont come out at the regular researched times but at weird hours.

I sleep through the buggers because they dont bite me as much but my partner gets bit a ton and them getting up is what wakes me. They have left for the night so good night sleep for both tonight hopefully

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jun 29 2013 22:33:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear aldara,

I use a commercial vac and whether it's bed bugs or cockroaches, I haven't found a live one in it. However, I take suitable precautions "just in case" anyway. Some folks will suck up a suitable dust type material and/or heat treat their vacuum unit.

Note that I'm assuming that what you're reporting is bed bugs. However, if you have any doubts, perhaps post a photo.

Weird hours, like when ?

It would be tough to correlate your inspection/hunting efforts with additional activity me thinks.

You can protect yourself from bites:

a. Thoroughly inspect and treat your bed, bed frame, mattress & box spring. it is best to disassemble the bed. Don't forget to cut the bottom dust cover off your box spring so you can access the frame work where bed bugs may harbor. You must do this such that there are zero bed bugs present on any part of the bed !

b. Install bed bug proof encasements on the mattress and box spring.

c. Re-assemble your bed assuring that there is no contact with the floor, wall or other furniture to your bed or bedding.

d. Install bed bug monitor climb up blockers.

e. Then get some well deserved and much needed rest !

Yes, this is a lot of work but YOU CAN DO THIS and so can everyone else if need be !

I know this is so because I once coached a person who is paralyzed from the waist down and he did it all himself.

Let me know if any remaining questions or concerns.

5. Dats Right

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 30 2013 7:27:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's what worked for my older brother. So he discovered bed bugs after seeing something poking out from crown molding downstairs. I confirmed what they were as he's not the internet type. So i started researching on top of some curious research previously done yrs back He discarded his entire infested bed and bought new with encasement. Boric Acid was placed at legs of new bed, he was never bitten again. So bb's food source was cut off immediately, he stays alone. Now I've read boric acid doesn't kill bb's. I don't know but in my experience it repelled and who knows what else. It was placed at edge of carpet, under furniture and electrical outlets. In my opinion there is no question it stopped further migration. Never seen another bug come from edge of carpet after boric acid was place there neither. He vacuumed once every 3 days for a month. Learning from forums that Pine Sol kills them on contact( not sure about eggs) I suggested spraying crown moldings periodically for a month. He hasn't seen another bed bug for six months now. The excessive vacuuming and spraying of Pine Sol stopped. The boric acid is still in designated areas though.
    By the way he stays in duplex but doesn't think neighbor is cause. They were brought in by a family member.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 30 2013 8:55:59
    #

Login to Send PM

NOTE TO EVERYONE:

BA is NOT a material of choice for bed bug control use because the efficacy data of BA on bed bugs does not support it's use.

And, whilst there are may reader/contributors who may offer advice based upon their personal experience, please understand that the population of their sample size is limited to just one or few situations whereas the pros who participate here have many years of experience and literally thousands of jobs "under their belts" from which observations are drawn.

Now dats, before you get all twisted because I've commented on the use of BA, my role as an industry steward compels me to post accurate information. The simple fact and truth remains that even the manufacturers of BA products are not promoting its use against bed bugs and there are no published lab studies which indicate it is a viable product for such use.

7. Alldara

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 12 2013 9:03:53
    #

Login to Send PM

So weve been vaccuming everyday since my first post. Tuesday night we tackled our two remaining bookshelves which we knew were infested. We steamed or washed everything on.the shelves and got xl sized zip lock bags for the books. We found a shitton. They are now all dead. We have now not seen any in two days. I know this does not mean theyre gone but its been a long time since we have gone even one day without seeing them. We put all yhe cleaned items into a rubbermaid bin and threw away the shelves after steaming them.
    This is amazing progress because we couldnt find them along the one side of the living room but we still have a dvd shelf and a desk to deal with.
    In our bedroom which has been DEed off for almost a year, we have another desk that I want yo disassemble, wash, steam and bring out to transfer stuff on to. What is the likelyhood of there being a high population of BBs in the bedroom still? Everything in there has been bagged and the room lined with DE. I sprinkled baking soda on the rest of the floor which I know ptobably doesnt do anything but I read it did assist and thought that it really couldnt hurt.

8. Alldara

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 12 2013 9:09:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Also I forgot to write earlier that it is 100% bed bugs. Looks identical to any confirmed picture and we did have an exterminator confirm back at the beginning of all this.
    Its at the point that I can tell you that we found a half-fed female in the bathroom 3 days ago. Unconcerned as Im almost 100% sure it rode in on our clothes that night and two the bathroom gets cleaned way too often for eggs to not get destroyed or at least noticed.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,635 posts in 50,004 topics over 154 months by 21,866 of 22,347 members. Latest: gingerstelpa, jaa5108, fightingback