Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Tips for keeping them away - family member has bed bugs and it's the holidays!

(5 posts)
  1. KeepEmAway

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2011 10:09:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been reading this forum since last night when I found out my in-law has bed bugs! I am so stressed that this had to happen right before the holiday season because I know we are going to see them at some point and there is almost no chance of getting around that. I just need some re-assurance and advice to be able to keep my house and family in the clear.

First - they are getting their house treated 3 times - today, and then 2 weeks later, and 2 weeks after that. However my in-law keeps calling it "bombing" which I read is the worst option for treatment. I'm really hoping she just doesn't know what she is talking about.

They also already threw out a couch and mattress, which also sounds to be against recommendation. So you can see I'm dealing with people who just ACT and don't research or think. So I cannot trust them to be doing everything they can to prevent the bugs from spreading. Therefore, I have to do everything I can on my end to make sure we don't get them.

No one has mentioned seeing them for Thanksgiving yet, but in the past we've met them at a restaurant. I'm hoping we miss this holiday completely b/c we already have a lot of plans and might not have time (here's hoping!) For Christmas Eve we go to a family members house (whoever volunteers) and I already decided we are NOT volunteering this year and there's no way they are coming to my house for Christmas Eve. However I'm concerned about the gifts they might give my baby.

Finally, my baby's birthday is in early January and we intended to have them over (my family one weekend, his family the next weekend). Now I don't want to. I'm thinking of going to a restaurant instead just so we can have a little more peace of mind. I know they will not follow your tips about taking their shoes off and leaving outside, or not putting coats on the furniture, etc. I also know they let their kids run wild and it will be hard to contain them.

I want to do everything I can to avoid getting bugs! Please share tips and things that I can do and realize that these in-laws probably won't do a single thing to protect US on their end. Also, some reassurance would be good. I read on here somewhere that it's not really that common for the bugs to travel on people, and facts like that make me a little less stressed. I just don't want my holiday season to be ruined by worrying about it constantly, and checking for bugs on everything. I also now have to tell my family because I would hate to somehow spread it to them over the holidays. This whole situation sucks and I just wish we didn't even have to come into contact with that set of in-laws.

2. KeepEmAway

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2011 10:57:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Me again! I've done some breathing since posting this long thread and I know that I shouldn't be AS worried as I am, and I should probably go ahead and do my daughter's birthday at my house. However, I still want tips of what i can do to keep us as safe as possible when around these people.

In addition, I'd like tips on how I can go about checking for bugs b/c God knows I will be looking for them for months after they come over, so I would like the best tips for that. I'm going to do it anyway, I can't help it! So please share where or how you would look to catch them before it becomes a problem.

We have always been working on de-cluttering our house since the baby came, but now I am going to step it into high gear so there are less potential hiding spots and less places for me to be looking through all the time.

Thanks for anyone who reads and any advice you can give!!! I know that something like this can be minor and not always worst case scenario, but I still worry as would anyone.

3. VictoryIsMine

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2011 2:31:52
    #

Login to Send PM

KeepEmAway - 15 hours ago  » 
    However, I still want tips of what i can do to keep us as safe as possible when around these people.

Hi,

Just a thought, when you say "these people," you do realize you're also referring to the very people reading/posting here, right?

You will get all or at least most of your answers here, especially under travel, on how not to get nor give bed bugs to others. Other than that, vigilance is key.

Good luck, and happy and safe holidays.

4. BarelyLiving2

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2011 6:59:45
    #

Login to Send PM

If you keep things at a restaurant, you're probably pretty safe.

Sometimes to make myself feel safer in those situations I'll spray my shoes with some diluted neem oil, citronella and tea tree oil. Then you can run jackets in the dryer for a while.

When people are at your house you could hang coats over a big plastic bin (if people won't see where you hang them). Or maybe your shower rod (sorry, we're short on space) and examine the area later. You can definitely do a thorough vacuuming of the whole place when they leave. (throw away the vacuum bag.)

5. BarelyLiving2

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2011 7:24:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I mean (seal and throw the vacuum bag away).

Also, just to make you feel a little better my mom had bed bugs for a few months without knowing it. My brother's family lived in the same area and they had been back and forth lots of times, but my brother's family never got bed bugs from them (they thought they did, had some carpet beetles, but it all worked out). So hopefully these things aren't as contagious as we fear. But I would say that bad treatments can make bed bugs go crazy and be in things you wouldn't expect. So maybe it would not be horrible to ask that family to run clothes, etc. in the dryer before they come over. It would probably hurt their feelings but you could have big plastic bins outside or in the garage for coats, shoes, purses, etc.

Just my first thoughts. Good luck with everything.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,179 posts in 50,132 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92