Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Tips for apartments/dealing with neighbors and landlord?

(10 posts)
  1. Itchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 2:07:30
    #

Login to Send PM

After almost 3 weeks of bites, I finally found evidence! Backstory here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/here-for-moral-support-not-sure-if-bb

I contacted my landlord who won't pay for any services. After looking into California law, it seems they are within their rights. But even though I'm paying, they will only authorize their "preferred" exterminator company to work on the building. I'll give them a chance because I don't want to ruffle feathers, but this seems a little weird to me. It's not like I'm trying to hire some random guy off the street with a can of Raid. Anyone deal with similar landlord issues? I'm going to talk to the exterminators on Monday, so hopefully they're better than their Yelp reviews imply.

Also, what should I do about my neighbors? Is it my responsibility to notify them? I think at the least I should tell the adjacent units, but if they get a bug later I don't want to give them reason to try to put the liability on me. But I also don't just want bugs going back and forth. I don't know what to do - I definitely can't afford to treat multiple apartments. i can barely afford my own treatment. It would be good if they could all be inspected, but I can't pay for that (not sure if PCO does free inspections). And almost everyone here has pets, so whatever they do to treat needs to be dog/cat friendly.

Should I push for the landlord to get inspections for other units? Or just encourage my neighbors to get inspections?

Any tips on preparing for treatment in this type of apartment situation?

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 9:55:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely inform the neighbors they should get inspected.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 10:09:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Probably by contacting the landlord you have already set the ball in motion so asking the neighbours to get themselves inspected cannot incriminate you any further. I remember someone posting a similar fear about being held responsible for other apartment's costs but cannot remember the state involved nor the outcome. Hopefully someone else will come along with more information.

4. so unsettling

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 12:21:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you sure the landlord has no financial responsibility here? It is the job of every landlord in America to maintain the building, so I would think this problem would qualify.

It sounds like you are being very responsible, and that is commendable. However, bedbugs are not an individual problem. They are a community issue and responsibility. I get the impression you are taking it all on, as though it is somehow your fault. For all you know, these bugs may be crawling on your neighbor's walls and that is why you have them. Landlords who won't pay discourage people from reporting them, which makes the problem much worse.

Landlords are always saying they have no financial obligation. I don't believe it. I would check that law further . Is it statewide law or county? I don't know if the following link is up to date or not, but hard to believe that the state that is forever bragging about being the most progressive place in the world, would be so backward on this issue. No offense meant.

http://cchealth.org/bedbugs/pdf/Bed-Bugs-Law-California.pdf

5. Itchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 19:55:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I saw that PDF as well, but based on further research, bedbugs are sadly not yet considered "vermin" in the warranty of habitability. I think CA has a pending bedbug lawsuit or ballot initiative that could be helpful, but not until it's settled or passed. I looked into LA county law specifically, and information from the health department seems to indicate it's the tenant's responsibility unless the unit is vacant (i.e. Before you move in).

They very well could have come from a neighbor. I think my roommate and I will go door to door or leave notes. We only have 7 neighbors so it isn't bad. And I might try to talk to our downstairs neighbor more, since she's lived here the longest and might have more tips for dealing with the landlord. They could have been here before I moved in (been here less than a year), but it seems unlikely. They could be coming from my neighbors. I'm just annoyed that my landlord won't pay to have other units inspected. Hopefully the company they want me to use does free inspections - that may be motivation enough for my neighbors. So frustrating.

6. Itchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 20:48:16
    #

Login to Send PM

FYI here is information on CA law. The pending legislation is AB 551. It passed the assembly and is being voted on by state senate. Apparently there was very recent activity. It sounds like a very good bill! It's just too bad for me it hasn't gone into effect yet.

https://caanet.org/bed-bug-bill-passes-judiciary-committee/
    http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB551
    http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB551

7. Itchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 21:46:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually, after a closer look, it looks like they've proposed removing a lot of the clear language requiring a landlord to provide a PCO except in cases where a unit is vacant. Oh well. I'm not a lawyer, though, so maybe it is enough to put treatment obligations on LLs.

8. so unsettling

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 8:37:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Gee, it is all very confusing. It sounds like they are removing any ambiguities, making it clear it is the tenants responsibility. Good idea to talk to someone who has lived there a while. 6 years ago, I thought I was the only one concerned, or who had any reason to be. Over the years, I learned that there has been an ongoing problem in one end of the building, nowheres near me. It preceded my arrival here, although my landlord never told me that. The laws are vague--they don't have to reveal everything.

Best of luck to you--i hope they rid you of them quickly!

9. Itchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 4:11:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! Apparently no history of issues in this building that we can find out. But some promising information from the county health department, and found a tenants rights advocacy group for low income residents. They offer free legal clinics, so I may try that. Jeez, what an ordeal. Some lawyer friends on Facebook also think we're in the right, for whatever that's worth.

My LL doesn't believe BB can pass between apartments - the amount of misinformation out there is terrifying. Even worse - they said the PCO told them that! Well, now I don't think I want to work with such a misguided company.

10. Itchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 4:13:35
    #

Login to Send PM

My neighbor indicated the landlord is really retaliatory, though. I'm worried about what she'll do if we try to have her pay. We're in the right, but I can't tell if it's worth the headache.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956