Timeline to stop worrying

(5 posts)
  1. toBugornottoBug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 6 2015 9:26:33
    #

Login to Send PM

First off, wanted to say that the wisdom on this site is impressive - and heartening! I was seeking some more data points for comparison of when I can stop worrying and move on with my life.

My story in short is this:
    -I went on two trips about 2-3 weeks ago, and forgot to isolate my bag like an idiot after I got home.
    -The last few days I have woken up with 4, 6, then 15 'bites' on only one arm (the arm closest to the bed frame).
    -Since, I have torn apart my bed and bed frame (no box spring) and can find no fecal stains, shed skins or live bugs.
    -I live in a two building apartment and have two roommates, as far as I can tell they have not experienced either bugs or bites.

I know that bites can be many many different things and are not conclusive. Which comes to my question. I purchased both ClimbUps and a PackTite for my bed (they are on the way). I have a name of a PCO if I find any bugs in them. But if no bugs show up in either, how long before the odds of an infestation drop below my odds of being struck by lightning?

2. librarybookgrl

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 7 2015 3:19:23
    #

Login to Send PM

What the experts are telling me is that 14 days with no results on a passive monitor, no bugs, castings, or fecal I should be ok and start to figure out real source of bites.

3. bedbugsuptown

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 7 2015 6:04:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi to BugornottoBug,

Welcome to this site. Sorry about the manifestations--oh so many--on your arm. I'm not an expert but If I understand you correctly and you manifested 15 skin reactions on your arm in one night it would be reasonable to conclude that you should be able to at least detect fecal traces on your sheets or bed frame

Tell us about your bed. A futon, a bunk bed, non of these ? I had a bunk bed and the harborage was in the bed frame that supported the mattress in the frame with multiple slats of horizontal wood. Got lucky in short order and bagged a bug. Not a bad idea to keep a journal on whats going on from day to day. Are you reading the Fax? Not a whole lot can be said without a confirmation pic. Too many variables to say bed bugs without a qualified yes from a pco. From an uploaded picture on the forum.

What the experts are telling me is that 14 days with no results on a passive monitor, no bugs, castings, or fecal I should be ok and start to figure out real source of bites.

I have to get some sleep or I'll be all over the place. No doubt you'll get more feedback later. If you don't after an uncomfortable time consider posting another thread but be patient before doing that. It's hard an repetitive when threads from the same bedbuggers start appearing in too many places. Your information will be scattered which would be a deterrant to helping you.. Look in cracks and crevices in the baseboars an such. Leave no stone un-turned in your quest to find a bug. And attach those passive alerts right near the bed.

Here's to hoping that you find no bug and this will become just a faded memory in time.

Good luck and keep us posted. Here's to hopping your not bugged.

4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 7 2015 7:25:01
    #

Login to Send PM

BBU: Look in cracks and crevices in the baseboars an such. Leave no stone un-turned in your quest to find a bug. And attach those passive alerts right near the bed.
    ------------
    I do not want to misscharacterize the above post, but I would not start turning my life upside down like so many people here have done without real confirming evidence.

You have already purchased a couple of passive monitors which is good. You have the name of a PCO which is good. No harm in spending a little time checking out the obvious hiding places, but beyond that I would simply just leave it to the monitors and go about your normal life,

If after a couple weeks the monitors show nothing but you're still getting bites, then that might be the time to call the PCO for a thorough inspection. The alternative is to drive yourself crazy looking for something that has a strong probability of not being there.

At the end of the day bedbugs or their evidence are really not that hard to find if they exist, nor are they that hard to eliminate if you take a proper and rational approach.

Richard

5. toBugornottoBug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 7 2015 12:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

If after a couple weeks the monitors show nothing but you're still getting bites, then that might be the time to call the PCO for a thorough inspection. The alternative is to drive yourself crazy looking for something that has a strong probability of not being there.
    At the end of the day bedbugs or their evidence are really not that hard to find if they exist, nor are they that hard to eliminate if you take a proper and rational approach.

Thank you for all of the responses! It is good to know that these things can be dealt with and that I should stick with my initial idea of passive monitors. I have a strong anxiety response to the thought of anything bb related so I will try not to let it take over my life - time to go stock up on chamomile tea and let the passive monitors do their work!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081